Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 05:51 AM CST
Like the subject says, I'm making an attempt to come back after not having played in over a decade. Tried coming back a few times over the years, but never really got that far. This time I've started by reactivating my original account. Surprisingly, despite having closed this account at some point in 2000 it was still in the system along with the characters. Signed in so the character would be converted from GS3 and I could get a look at what stats/training I had to work with. Anyway, rambling aside I was hoping to get some comments on my stats and skills before I go fixing everything.

Name: Shayterit Emeryth Race: Dark Elf Profession: Sorcerer (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 56 (3) ... 56 (3)
Constitution (CON): 50 (-5) ... 50 (-5)
Dexterity (DEX): 65 (17) ... 65 (17)
Agility (AGI): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Discipline (DIS): 90 (10) ... 90 (10)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Intuition (INT): 70 (15) ... 70 (15)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Influence (INF): 70 (5) ... 70 (5)
Mana: 105 Silver: 0

Shayterit (at level 30), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 66 14
Shield Use.........................| 102 24
Edged Weapons......................| 124 32
Physical Fitness...................| 124 32
Arcane Symbols.....................| 105 25
Magic Item Use.....................| 58 12
Spell Aiming.......................| 99 23
Harness Power......................| 124 32
Elemental Mana Control.............| 108 26
Spirit Mana Control................| 111 27
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 74 16
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 74 16
Survival...........................| 70 15
Perception.........................| 122 31
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 66 14
First Aid..........................| 70 15
Trading............................| 58 12

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 22

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 11

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 33

I realize that I'll be dropping the edged weapons and shield since runestaffs have come out, not sure what else I have too much or not enough of, so opinions would be appreciated. Now if only I can remember where the hell I put my map files.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 06:37 AM CST
Your stats look decent enough to me, if I'm missing something there I'm sure someone else will point out what.

For your skills, I was going to type up a whole list of what you need, but TBH there's not a lot of variety in sorcerer's training plans these days so I'll quote what RAKKASH posted in another folder yesterday:

"well, it's generally advisable that you 2x SA for FLD and FI at least, 1x AS, MIU, HP, and a minimum of 2x spells. Toss in a handful of armor ranks, 1x lore and PF, between .5x-1x percep, climb/swim as needed and you've got your base sorcerer build."

Since you're just returning, I'll elaborate a bit on some of that, though:

You stated that you want to use a runestaff, so you don't need any special training for that beyond having 9 or so ranks in magical skills per level (something you should have anyway). If you prefer sword and board, that's completely viable too (just add 1x in OHE and Shield Use to the above), I know I was too stubborn to switch to runestaves when they came out and I haven't suffered at all keeping my dagger and shield.

For the 2x in Spells, you'll want to have at least 1x in the Sorcerer circle and divide the other 1x between the Spirit and Elemental circles as you see fit until you have 425 and 120. Once you have those spells in the Minor circles, you can keep going in them to get the other spells in those circles as you see fit or put all your spell training into the Sorcerer circle until you have at least your level +20 ranks in it (I'd recommend the later, but it's up to you).

For lores, I'd pick one to 1x in and pick up ranks in the other as you can. Currently Demonology is the lore everyone's swooning over, but folk go back and fourth over which is preferable.

Most people that are into min/maxing their characters consider it a waste to get more then 1x in Harness Power (HP), but there are plenty of times when you'll REALLY want the extra mana. So, if you can afford to 1.5-2x in it, that's certainly an option if you have the TPs to do so. At your level, you'll get 90 mana added to your max if you 1x or 120 if you 2x in it.

Lastly, I'd drop Armor Use down to 8 ranks so you can wear double leather and stick to that for now. If you decide you want heavier armor later, there are others that go that route, but doubles are the heaviest armor you can wear without spell hindrance. Any spare TPs you have can be tossed into whatever secondary skill looks attractive to you or into getting more of something you're already training in.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or visit http://www.krakiipedia.org (it's the wikipedia of Gemstone AND they have the most up to date maps out there). If you're in Icemule, Illistim, or the Landing, you can also ask someone for directions to the local Silverwood Manor and ring the bell there to ask a Mentor whatever you like about the game (the Mentors are an awesome and underused resource for IG help). If you're in River's Rest, I know most of the locals will be more then happy to answer your questions if you ask in whispers.

Hope this helps,
Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 06:53 AM CST
Thanks, wasn't too sure how much swim/climb is considered decent now, or what decent armor ranks were. Hopefully I'll be able to shake the dust off on my playing skills. As for board and sword I originally went that route since that was really the best way back then, but since they have a viable alternative I'm thinking of going pure runestaff, or mebbe keeping shields and going brawling for the open hand option. Is that any good or would I be hurting for DS? Is first aid and survival worth having ranks in? Not sure why I have ranks in trading....I vaguely remember it helping with the pawnshop or something but that just might be in my head.

I also recall something about encumberance actually being something sorcerers have to think about now, is that true? I can recall being so loaded down with boxes and stuff that even really buffed warriors would have trouble dragging my corpse to TSC, but still being perfectly fine out hunting. And I still have my badge from the old Lorminstra quest so I still get a free monthly deed, which is good cause I don't recall the formula for that at all, assuming it hasn't changed.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 08:50 AM CST
Welcome back, Shay. Tons of answers for tons of questions, and I'm sure you'll think of even more. Star's right, though -- Krakiipedia.org for most of them.

I'll snap a few along the way here. Shield and brawling could still work. Generally, runestaff is subject to disarm attacks, and brawling / shield is not. Sunder shield could affect, though. Generally sorcerers don't hurt for DS, so it's a style option to me. Recent changes to brawling (UAC) may cause me to re-evaluate, though.

First aid and survival skills help is several ways in a few places. Pawnshop is generally affected by Trading.

Encumbrance is definitely something you'll want to watch out for. And you'll want to benefit wherever you can from Phase.

Deed formula (in the Landing) hasn't changed for as long as I can remember, but the death system has. Check out Death's Sting on KP.

Doug
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 09:54 AM CST
<wasn't too sure how much swim/climb is consiecent now>

It depends largely on where you're hunting. If you're in River's Rest you'll want 15 ranks in one or the other (or both) immediately so you can get across the Bay, otherwise you should be fine with 5-10 ranks in each for quite a while. Eventually, you'll want about 30 ranks in each but that's quite a bit away so I'd recommend getting other things first.

<As for board and sword I originally went that route since that was dered dreally the best way back then, but since they have a viable alternative I'm thinking of going pure runestaff, or mebbe keeping shields and going brawling for the open hand option. Is that any good or would I be hurting for DS?>

It all boils down to preference in the end, whichever route you take it will be purely about defense... you won't be swinging your sword or using UCS. Here's the benefits/drawbacks to each:

OHE/Shield:
advantages- more DS, both sword and shield can be enchanted, both parry and shield DS
disadvantages- sword can be disarmed, you lose DS if you put away your weapon to CHANNEL spells

Brawling/Shield:
advantages: tied with OHE/Shield DS, Shield and UCS (unarmed combat system) gloves can be enchanted, you don't lose DS when CHANNELing spells, cannot be disarmed, both parry and shield DS
disadvantages: Brawling costs slightly more TPs, can only have 1 hand open for channeling

Runestaves:
advantages: more TPs to put into other skills, both hands count as empty for CHANNELing, can also hold a wand without losing DS
disadvantages: easily disarmed, only parry DS, lowest total DS of the three, runestaves are expensive to purchase

As has already been pointed out, DS shouldn't be an issue for you unless your uphunting quite a bit above your level regardless of which route you take (I used to hunt warfarers laying on my back). What will be the death of you will be maneuver attacks and there's not a whole lot sorcerers can do as far as training to get around that (though maintaining 1x in PF will help).

<Is first aid and survival worth having ranks in?>

Both FA and Survival help with skinning. FA will allow you to bandage bleeders and reduce the RT from eating herbs by 1 second for every +20 bonus. Survival will help avoid being damaged by environmental effects (like those found around Icemule) and helps with foraging. Both are useful, but neither are so useful but only worth having if you have extra TPs after you've trained in everything else you need.

<Not sure why I have ranks in trading....I vaguely remember it helping with the pawnshop or something but that just might be in my head.>

Trading helps you get a better price for selling items at the pawn shop, gem shop, and furrier. It will also reduce the cost of purchasing items from some shops (varies from place to place). From what I've seen, it's not worth having more then 24 ranks or of it, and even then only if you have extra TPs after getting everything else you want/need.

<I also recall something about encumberance actually being something sorcerers have to think about now, is that true? I can recall being so loaded down with boxes and stuff that even really buffed warriors would have trouble dragging my corpse to TSC, but still being perfectly fine out hunting.>

Yes, this is true... very much so. Encumbrance is one of the main factors that determine if a creature maneuver attack hits or fails and most (if not all) creatures above level 30 have some form of maneuver attack (and if you're gonna die, that's how it will happen).

Unfortunately for sorcerers, we're already at a disadvantage due to our stats and training when it comes to avoiding creature maneuvers. Add in that sorcerers have more spells then any other profession that require components (714, 725, 730, and 740) and three of our guild skills require components, and you're quickly very encumbered without even having hunted recently.

To keep your encumbrance as low as possible, always bundle your herbs, keep your as many of your components lockered as possible unless you're actually using them, get a lockable container to put heavier items in and Phase (704) it when hunting (you can't wear it while it's phased, but you can put it in another container), and wear the least amount of fluff your RP will allow. The days where you can wander the lands constantly so encumbered you can barely walk under the weight of the load you're carrying are LONG gone.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 04:28 PM CST
Thanks again for the swift and usefull answers; you as well Doug. I imagine I have a great deal to relearn/remember, so getting answers like this up front is a great help. I vaguely recall plans to make phase more usefull, seems like they went through with it. When you say 'lockable' containers I'm assuming you mean something other than boxes off of critters, yes? Not really the right place to be asking this, but are there new ways to find out the enchant/padding/etc on items? In the 13 or so years since I've played I've switched computers a few times and no longer have my old files, so I have no clue how good the shield, sword and armor I have are anymore. Does the crystal in the basement of the Abandoned Inn still work, or is that a thing of the past?

And hopefully not pouring an gasoline on old arguements, but why do so many of our spells need things to work? Did the other pures get stuck being walking lockers too, or are we just that lucky?
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 05:01 PM CST
AI crystal still works. It will reveal if an item is padded, flaring, or crit weighted, but not how much.

Brawling + shield much better than weapon + shield for DS. On the other hand, using a runestaff is cheaper TP wise. You can be disarmed while using a runestaff, but not that many critters disarm.

Want a cheap 4x runestaff? Buy a 0x runestaff and e-blade it.

Personally, I always train my pure casters 2x in HP from the start. Initially the cost may not seem worth the benefit, but if you keep doing it, well, at level 100 you have 100 extra mana. Yum!

Quote of the day: "The zombie mafia and the zombie rebel alliance can kiss my white undead butt!"
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 05:06 PM CST
<When you say 'lockable' containers I'm assuming you mean something other than boxes off of critters, yes?>

Yes, any rogue that's trained in Lock Mastery can add a lock to many types of containers and provide you with a key to lock and unlock it with. Since the only type of containers Phase will lighten are locked ones, you'll want to get one of these unless you want to go through your containers and Phase everything individually (a huge pain). It's also a handy way to phase items that are otherwise resistant to magic (like mithril). If you see me IG, feel free to ask me to add a lock to something for you (my main is a rogue).

I should probably also mention that there's an upper limit to how heavy an item you can phase. The formula should be in the article for Phase on www.krakiipedia.com

<Not really the right place to be asking this, but are there new ways to find out the enchant/padding/etc on items? In the 13 or so years since I've played I've switched computers a few times and no longer have my old files, so I have no clue how good the shield, sword and armor I have are anymore. Does the crystal in the basement of the Abandoned Inn still work, or is that a thing of the past?>

The AI crystal is still there, though a bard will be more accurate and be able to tell you more about an item then the crystal can. There's a guide for deciphering the crystal's messaging on Krakiipedia as well.

Starchitin

Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 05:29 PM CST
<And hopefully not pouring an gasoline on old arguements, but why do so many of our spells need things to work? Did the other pures get stuck being walking lockers too, or are we just that lucky?>

Apparently our punishment for being so awesome in the past was to be turned into pack-mules in the present. There are other spells that require components, but none of them require as many as the ones in our circle do. Also, components are optional for some of them, unlike ours. If you were to carry it all around all the time, you'll need to carry around a brush, ink, smooth stones, moonflowers, vials of troll blood, vials of sea water, a pestle, a mortar, a tome, various runestones, a book, two types of chalk, a collection of valuable gems...and a partridge in a pear tree. Hence why I suggest keeping most of that in your locker unless you're actually using them. (of all that, the only things my sorcerer has on him all the time is the chalk and the book for 740)

If you choose to practice alchemy (which makes up 3 of our 4 guild skills) you'll need to add a heavy cauldron and a list of ingredients too long to list here to the list. Alchemy is shared by the other pure professions though, so at least they get share some of our pain.

Starchitin

Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 05:54 PM CST
Oh! The old e-blade trick, haven't thought of that in ages. Thanks for that suggestion, perfect for a weapon that'll never be swung, so the charge will never run out.

I really need to stop poking around here and look at that krakkipedia site you mentioned, probably get all my questions answered there instead of bugging you lot. And that sounds like a LOT of crap to be lugging about just for a spell or two. Was happy to hear that demons were -finally- implemented at some point, but reading the spell makes em sound like a glorified familiar, only harder to bring out and requiring items. Bleh. The planar shift spell looks all sorts of awesome though, and I kinda like the whole writing out the spell with chalk/keeping track with books thing. Stylistically anyways. Probably weird for a lvl 30 toon, but I'm gonna need to find my way to the Guild as well as find someone to teach me sacrifice since neither existed last time I played.

Thanks for the info on locked containers, are there any that work better than others ( ie: large sacks, backpacks, rusacks, etc ) or just any old thing you can shove lots of stuff in?
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 06:26 PM CST
In GS4, e-blading adds AS to weapons just as it did in GS3, but unlike in GS3 it does not add DS. So an e-bladed runestaff will be 4x if for some reason you decide to swing it at a critter, but it will be 0x for purposes of DS. It will eventually run out of charges, because an e-bladed runestaff will occasionally flare (just like a weapon) when you cast an offensive spell!

Welcome back!
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 06:29 PM CST

Oh, well that sucks. Still, better than finding out the hard way. Thanks
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 06:39 PM CST
>Oh! The old e-blade trick, haven't thought of that in ages. Thanks for that suggestion, perfect for a weapon that'll never be swung, so the charge will never run out.

Actually, runestaves were updated probably within the last year or so to allow them to flare with eblade. This means they will run out of charges, but if you're using Lich, it's pretty easy to run a script that will keep your weapon ebladed. I put an old version of mine up on the repo a while back, but it probably needs some tweaks. Runestaves can also now be found with, or have added by a GM, acuity flares that give a small AS/CS boost, mana-return flares (more useful for low levels since the return is not great), and normal, permanent versions of your typical elemental flares.

>Was happy to hear that demons were -finally- implemented at some point, but reading the spell makes em sound like a glorified familiar, only harder to bring out and requiring items.

Pretty much. The recent addition of Balefire, a 'ball' spell (bolt w/ explosion), to the sorcerer list adds a little combat usefulness to them, though. So long as you keep mana in your demon (why they have to be summoned with 0 mana seems kinda silly to me), they provide a chance to add an additional (heavy hitting) flare to Balefire at the cost of 2 mana from the demon.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 06:47 PM CST
Since you are recently returning, I'm not sure how long term you are looking...but I'll throw in a few comments for the 'long haul'

>I'll snap a few along the way here. Shield and brawling could still work. Generally, runestaff is subject to disarm attacks, and brawling / shield is not. Sunder shield could affect, though. Generally sorcerers don't hurt for DS, so it's a style option to me. Recent changes to brawling (UAC) may cause me to re-evaluate, though

Shield/Brawl is a bit more expensive, but you can actually get by quite well with far less than 1x in each...at cap I was at 75 ranks shield and 50 ranks brawl and had no DS issues, even on my rear in OTF. With the advent of scroll infusion it's easy to get a significant supply of buff spells to augment any potential lack in DS you'd notice from runestave, and you don't have to worry about getting disarmed and watching your DS drop in (nearly) half...there's enough of that with the affinity for both spirit and elemental dispel to take Cloak of Shadows (1DS per sorc rank up to level) down.

The critters that sunder shield are few and far between, and if your shield is enchanted it only makes the arm go numb..doesn't destroy or disarm. Far less common than disarm. That said, if you go brawl shield, try to track down one of the shifting runestaves. They sell for about a million or 2 last I looked and shift to either belts, wristlets or headbands when not used as runestaves. Easily carried for emergencies. If you go runestaves...somewhere between here and cap see if you can muster the spare points for 3 ranks of CMAN Disarm. It'll save your life more than occasionally, not to mention your silvers.

If you go shield/brawl, in the long run (as you approach 1x in each) your DS will match any stave user, with far less probability of major dips due to CMANs.

OHE/Shield may be theoretically viable if you had your heart set on it (which it doesn't appear you do) but between open handed casting and the afor mentioned Disarm issues, I don't advise it.

As for climing and swiming...30 ranks is adequate for both, but depending on where you make your home...Ta'Illistim-OTF, Teras-Nelemar, or the Rift somewhere in your 80s you'll potentially want to dump more points in one or the other. (I did say this was a long view)

Others have pretty well covered encumberance and phase...I will only add this small bit...fluff is not your friend. If you don't need it, get rid of it. The higher level the critter, the more reliant on CMANs or manuever based spells they will tend to be. Should you find yourself on Teras, look Jurporia up and I'll be happy to help you get locks added to a few containers. I keep a grandmaster locksmith on retainer.

Another long term goal (one I wouldn't worry about until somwhere around 60-70) try to muster 10 ranks of each of the 4 elemental lores. It makes a noteworthy difference to the otherwised diminished power of DC. I can't remember exactly when they nerfed DC. If you go 13 mana back the last time you cast DC at something made of stone, you'll want to check kraki and read all about that change.

On a slightly more short sightend note, trading and survival are nice for getting slightly higher rates at the pawn and gem shops and for skinning bounties, but neither is worth (IMO) sacrificing core skills. If you go staves, 1x MIU and AS and at least 1.5x between EMC and SMC...if you go brawl shield .5-.75x MIU and As, 1x between EMC and SMC. You'll kill faster, live longer, and get more gems...it'll vastly outweigh a few % more per gem.

If you are Voln or decide to try Guardians of Sunfist, first aid has value to about 50 ranks...that's enough to quickly bandage 4x body bleaders. If you're CoL it just helps you skin, and if you drop all your FA and survival for core skills, you won't even get skinning tasks from the Adventurer's guild. Granted, there are those that make a decent living off skinning...not sure any of them are sorcerers, but someone else can correct me if I'm horribly off base here.

The rest you'll figure out along the way.

--Jurp
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 07:19 PM CST
Wait, they nerfed DC?! I know people cough*wizards*cough used to bitch and moan that it was overpowered, but that was my all time favorite spell for hunting. I think I might cry a bit. Just to comfort myself a bit, I'm gonna look up an old log just to remind myself how awesome DC used to be. Can't remember if it was mine or not, just that DC was THE spell to hunt with:

You gesture at a massive troll king.
CS: +277 - TD: +171 + CvA: +25 + d100: +78 == +209
Warding failed!
A massive troll king is suddenly engulfed in flames of pure essence!
... and hits for 162 points of damage!
... 45 points of damage!
Flame consumes a massive troll king's right arm all the way to the shoulder.

A massive troll king screams in pain as its arm falls to the ground!

... 45 points of damage!
Right eye evaporates in a burst of flame. Death from shock follows.
The troll king continues to struggle for life!
... 35 points of damage!
Massive electical shock to the left hand destroys flesh. What remains is useless.

... 60 points of damage!
Electric shock causes a strong enough convulsion to snap the troll king's neck.
... 35 points of damage!
Right leg horribly scorched. Won't be usable for weeks.

A massive troll king screams and falls to the ground grasping at its mangled right leg!
... 35 points of damage!
An icy slash across the lower back slices deep into the troll king's muscle!
... 40 points of damage!
Oops. Shield arm freeze-dried!

... 70 points of damage!
Fire completely surrounds a massive troll king. Blood boils and heart stops.
... 60 points of damage!
Flames engulf body. Chest left a smoldering ruin.
... 60 points of damage!
Flames engulf body. Chest left a smoldering ruin.
... 60 points of damage!
Horrifying jolt of electricity fries chest to a crisp. Toasty!
... 50 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces the troll king to a smoldering pile of ash!
... 70 points of damage!
Fire completely surrounds a massive troll king. Blood boils and heart stops.
You feel 8 power surge into you!

Right, now that I'm feeling warm and fuzzy from looking at that.... I'm not sure if I'll go shield/brawl or runestaff, both kinda appeal to me. Stat-wise and RPing, my character isn't the strongest, hardiest guy running around. That and he's a sorcerer thru and thru, cares more about magic and knowledge ( has a Fash'lo'nae crest and some other bits and bobs ) than brute force. That being said I like the idea of the extra DS from a shield as well as the RP of him hiding behind it then standing out to blast things. Might just have to flip a coin, first I think I'll get used to the game again, I should have time.

As for fluff I kept the character fairly lean on that. Never wanted to be one of those characters that took up an entire screen with just a casual look. Not a hardcore RPer but want my character to have....well 'character' so gonna be thinking about that. At the time I stopped playing ( year or so after I got outta high school ) I had him talking in a horrid attempt at a scottish accent. Pity I can't go back in time and smack my younger self upside the head.

Sounding like a broken record, but thanks for all the advice.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 08:27 PM CST
<<<You gesture at a massive troll king.>>>

You are going to be so, so disappointed.

~ Heathyr
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 09:18 PM CST
>Wait, they nerfed DC?! I know people cough*wizards*cough used to bitch and moan that it was overpowered

Funny thing about that... wizards basically have the old DC (minus mana returns) in Immolate.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 09:27 PM CST
>>In GS4, e-blading adds AS to weapons just as it did in GS3, but unlike in GS3 it does not add DS. So an e-bladed runestaff will be 4x if for some reason you decide to swing it at a critter, but it will be 0x for purposes of DS. It will eventually run out of charges, because an e-bladed runestaff will occasionally flare (just like a weapon) when you cast an offensive spell! - Kardios

>Oh, well that sucks. Still, better than finding out the hard way. Thanks - Shay

Ebladed runestaves provide 20 DS in all stances and will flare once per eight successful casts when associated with "The scintillating <color> light surrounding the runestaff fades some" messaging. This 1 per 8 flare rate occurs at regular intervals. There are ebladable dried driftwood runestaves available on mist harbor for around 400 - 600 silvers apiece.

If you are attuned to an element and select the command ATTUNE ELEMENT you will receive that damage type when eblading a runestaff. If you haven't used your ONE-TIME-ONLY option or if you select ATTUNE RANDOM, you will receive one of five damage types (cold, fire, air, earth or lightning) when eblading. You can, however, cast Elemental Dispell (417) at the runestaff to remove the eblade. With enough mana and a bit of patience you can continue to do this to gain the flare of your choice.

LOOKing at a runestaff will show the color associated with the damage type.

>l my rune
The runestaff is surrounded by a scintillating silver light.

405 will reveal the name of the damage type.

>pre 405
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Detection spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast my rune
You gesture at a dried driftwood runestaff.
You sense that the runestaff has a magical enhancement of its ability to hit, and will deliver intermittent blasts of lightning.

Blue: Cold crits
Red: Fire crits
White: Air (vacuum crits)
Brown: Earth (impact crits)
Silver: Lightning crits

Mark

Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/17/2013 09:35 PM CST
>that was my all time favorite spell for hunting. I think I might cry a bit

827 damage for 11 mana...Those were the days...those were the days.

>first I think I'll get used to the game again, I should have time.

You do, and these days we get an annual fix skill, so you can always change your mind later.

One point I forgot to make, with the brawl/shield build, your runestave DS will still be quite reasonable, so if you are hunting something that bolts a lot and doesn't disarm, you can always use the stave and not notice a significant change in melee DS one way or the other.

Before UCS Voln fu was highly viable as an alternate hunting method, so it added to my argument for brawl/shield. It was especially great for finishing a hunt after something had managed to bust your head or nerves so you couldn't cast. Were I to roll up a new sorcerer today, I'm not 100% sure which way I'd go.

--Jurp
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/18/2013 12:16 AM CST
Hey there! A little late in coming, but I have a few suggestions to add into the bunch.

First of all: stats. There are two kinds of builds.

- Those that set the fast growing stats high to start off strong, but leave the slow growing stats (Like Strength or Con) low, leaving them little room to grow.

- And those that set the SLOW growing stats high, and leave the fact growing stats (Aura, Wisdom and Dexterity for a Dark Elf) low, so that they can "grow into it".

Your build is VERY heavily the former, meaning that the rapid growth of Aura and Wisdom, already at 100 by level 30, is wasted. Meanwhile, your Strength and Con are terrible, and will never really grow into it. Along with a few other choice stats that could change (Influence is very unimportant for the most part, and you have it higher than Strength and Con), your stats are going to make your early days easy, and your higher levels will be plagued with encumbrance issues, low maximum health, and a variety of other penalties for low stats . . . meanwhile, your CS stats have already stagnated, and no longer grow.

I'm not going to outright say "switch to the second" style . . . its a challenging start, and hard to do sometimes. However, I would HIGHLY suggest that if you have a fixstat, you swap some of the points around . . . take at least 20 out of Aura and Wisdom and put it somewhere else.

By my calculations, your starting stats are:
50 Strength
40 Con
50 Dex
60 Agil
80 Disc
90 Aura
80 Logic
60 Intuition
90 Wisdom
60 Influence

And your level 100 stats will be:
68 Strength
68 Con (this will result in a MAXIMUM health of 124, ever)
92 Dex
90 Agil
100 Discipline
100 Aura
100 Logic
90 Intuition
100 Wisdom
90 Influence

Now, if you take a mere 10 from Discipline, Aura, Logic, Wisdom, and Influence (all of which except for Influence will still hit level 100) you will free up FIFTY points. With that, you could end up with a spread of:

76 Strength (+10 to starting stats)
88 Con (+30 to starting stats)(A maximum of 134 health! 10 more than before)
98 Dex (+10 to starting stats)
90 Agil
100 Discipline
100 Aura
100 Logic
90 Intuition
100 Wisdom
86 Influence

As you can see, you hardly need a "hardcore" build set for growth, but you can move a few points around and get SO MUCH MORE growth. Your Dexterity (and hence, bolt AS) will increase, your maximum health will increase, your carrying capacity will increase significantly, and you will lose a trivial amount of Influence in the deal. The only true penalty will be that in the short term, your CS and maximum mana will take a small dip, but as this is not a true min/maxing build, it will not be "severe" (my math is indicating a paltry 4 CS), and the CS will gradually recover to its previous high with no permanent loss except for a small amount of mana.

Now, if you like what you see, (and I'm assuming you have a fixstat from the transition) I can help you set up a more significant shift to a growth-oriented build, but it might not be for you. Either way, I highly suggest you make this small set of changes . . . you will be better off for it. Being at level 30, you are already past the "early days" when such short-term stat benefits really pay off, so you have only to gain.

And as one other added thing, I have a BUNCH of 4x (+20) runestaves that I need to get rid of, and no one wants. I'm going to end up pawning them if nothing else works out, so let me know and I can meet up with you in game and let you have one.

>Barnom says, "Like sage and nutmeg."
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/18/2013 08:26 AM CST
<< Ebladed runestaves provide 20 DS in all stances . . . >>

I tested that. It's true. E-blading a runestaff adds 20 to DS.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/19/2013 10:39 AM CST
Thanks for that DC log post....makes me nostalgic.

we need to get them to uptweak it again...they downtweaked too much for a 19th level spell. next spell level up is Implosion...think of it that way.

welcome back.

oh, stay away from alchemy training in the guild. just to add my advice to the rest...

~Moredin
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/19/2013 10:40 AM CST
>I tested that. It's true. E-blading a runestaff adds 20 to DS.

second this. tested repeatedly in the past even before runestaves flared from eblade. used to hunt disarming creatures with em.

~Moredin
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/19/2013 11:54 AM CST
Sorry I'm just getting back to this, been job hunting.

Thanks for the stat advice, it autoconverted from my GS3 stats, so wasn't sure what was still good or not. While I'm hoping to stick around for awhile, not too sure I'll ever make it to 100. Might take your adivce and change the stats, or might not. I'm sorta lazy like that and I've never really been the type to min/max or look for the 'perfect' build.

Alchemy that bad? How about illusions? Last time I played this character the only guild that existed was the Warriors Guild.
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/19/2013 12:40 PM CST
guild work is not for the meek. alchemy is what most people call a "post-cap goal". costs millions to master in any decent time frame also. otherwise you have to wait till you find the required ingredients by chance on creatures...which IMO isn't feasible. and it would still take you the better part of a tedious year to master while spending millions.

illusions is easier and costs you nothing to master, but still not fun. most illusions have at least some basic functionality. the demon illusions allow you to disguise your demon in town from the lawmen.

~Moredin
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/19/2013 02:52 PM CST
You don't have to min-max to have a slightly more efficient build. And afterall, as I pointed out: Aura and Wisdom are ALREADY at 100! Even at level 30. So that is something that will impact your gameplay now, even if you adjusted a few points. Also, Influence is highly limited in its benefits, so you stand to gain by removing a few points in it.

Think of it this way: if you take a ton of points out of Influence, you stand to lose virtually nothing. Maybe a very small discount in selling value, and only if you train in Trading skill. But you could take those points and get useful things like Constitution (directly influences health and a small amount towards carrying capacity), Strength (directly influences carrying capacity), or Dexterity (directly influences bolt AS).

Let me say this as well; with your Strength and Con as a dark elf, your carrying capacity is going to be bad. If you are considering Alchemy, you will need it. One of the negative aspects of Alchemy is running around with hundreds of doses of oils, water, crystals, gems, and herbs, and it DOES weigh you down.

Illusions isn't so bad if you have a consistant partner.

Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/19/2013 03:47 PM CST
I wish stats were taken more into account on many levels. For example, I've always had a high Influence stat. First, this is sort of a stubborn clinging to the idea that Influence is supposed to be a key stat for sorcerers. It was sold that way from the start, and was sad to be a factor in controlling demons, not to mention exerting one's will upon others. Whether this held up in the actual game, I don't know..but I haven't seen any evidence of it.

But mechanics aside, the main reason I maintain a high Influence (aside from it being far too late to change even if I wanted to) is because it wouldn't make sense for my character NOT to have high influence. She's an influential person. She co-founded and ran one of the great houses of Elanthia (Sylvanfair). She was the First Chosen of Lorminstra to serve in the Vvrael Wars, and once carried one of the Six Stones of Virtue, which now and forevermore rest in the crown that opens the shrine at the Top of the World. She's well-known and respected as a prominent figure around the Landing. Love her or hate her, nobody would make the claim she's not influential.

It's a shame the only mechanical benefit she sees is a better deal on smooth stones. Not that I'm complaining (well maybe a little).

ANYway, my point is there are other things to consider besides trying to get all 100s at cap (one of the worst practices ever to hit the game, IMHO--however inevitable--so much for individuality). Oh well. End rant.

Whatever you decide, DO keep in mind that the majority of characters never reach cap. And even if you do, chances are you can accumulate enough BPs and/or silvers to buy a fixstat potion by then. So in my opinion, aim for a nice mid-game goal and you'll get the most playing satisfaction for your money. Unless you're really ambitious, have a LOT of time on your hands and just won't be happy until you hit 100.

Just another perspective to consider. Moreover, as long as you don't totally tank your stats, they're not going to make or break your game.

~ Heathyr

Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/19/2013 04:04 PM CST
>Whatever you decide, DO keep in mind that the majority of characters never reach cap. And even if you do, chances are you can accumulate enough BPs and/or silvers to buy a fixstat potion by then. So in my opinion, aim for a nice mid-game goal and you'll get the most playing satisfaction for your money. Unless you're really ambitious, have a LOT of time on your hands and just won't be happy until you hit 100.

>Just another perspective to consider. Moreover, as long as you don't totally tank your stats, they're not going to make or break your game.

And in this case, I agree, and its what I have been suggesting. I left an open offer to help with a true stat-growth oriented build, but in the meantime, have been suggesting a very moderate, mid-game goal. As it stands, I think he really is tanked, primarily in Con and Strength, which might as well be primary stats for a sorcerer given our component needs. A minor shift in points will go a long way, still allow him to have max CS before level 70ish (he capped out his stat based CS at 30 in this case) and help him carry a lot more and have more maximum health.

Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/19/2013 05:22 PM CST
No argument here, just throwing my two cents. :)

~ Heathyr
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/20/2013 06:30 PM CST
Thanks again for the suggestions folks. Tried changing my stats as suggested, saw an immediate jump of 13 hp. Took me awhile to remember I had to actually check into the inn to change that. Have some premium points stored up ( though only going back a month from when I reactivated the account, too bad they weren't built up from when I closed the account in 2000, I'd be swimming in points ) and was thinking of adding some padding. Crit padding still preferable to damage padding?
Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/20/2013 08:56 PM CST
>and was thinking of adding some padding. Crit padding still preferable to damage padding?

Yes, but save it until you have something worth putting it on. I'd recommend at least some 6x leathers. A little high end, but its something you could probably save up for in less than a year if you focused your silvers on it.

Re: Back after a LONG hiatus... 01/23/2013 08:59 AM CST
I'm also jumping in late, and I skimmed at best. I will toss my few cents, and hopefully I'm not repeating much.

As far as eblade on runestaves, this is fine for creatures that disarm. But the flares are really awful compared to the flaring staves from merchants. The drakar ones are amazing, and I am not sad at all about the 500k I dropped to get on in a player shop. Choosing flare type is also useful (as well as if you ever ATTUNE). I like fire since trolls hate it.

For general training, I tend to take a threshold approach. The best example is sorcerer spell ranks. These don't need to be kept at 1x in fact, and you can drop them for a few levels to get a clutch minor spiritual/elemental spell. On average, yes, I wind up at 1x in the 700 circle, but if you are a few ranks from a useful spell in another circle, you're better off getting that spell sooner, because a couple ranks lost of 700s for a couple levels will not be a problem. As a halfling with an already poor CS, I think I even stopped at implosion to get 430 and 120. Personally, I'd go as far to recommend it; many will likely counter, and that's fine, it's preference. But I didn't have any problems with that (although I averaged about 2.5x in spells for a long time to get more spells [not ranks]). Whatever anyone says, if you're 4 ranks shy of say 430, ask yourself if you'd rather get it in 2 levels, or 4, and what 2 ranks of the 700s will do for you (assuming it isn't another spell you want). Probably the answer is you don't absolutely insist 700s are perfectly 1x, and you drop those ranks for your spell(s) of choice as it arises. Of course, the average point and goal of 1x in sorcerer spells I am totally on board with.

The threshold training should apply just as well to things like lores especially. For demonology, I basically 1x, but I do it at each Phase threshold. Once I hit a threshold, I don't train in demonology, and once I get close to the next one, I just bump it a lot of times so it will get to my goal at the 1x level. I don't think threshold training worked well in GS3, since you couldn't overtrain a skill to get it back to 1x. My memory may be foggy and this recollection entirely incorrect. In any case, I do think a targeted training approach is smart. Know what you want when you want it, and swap training and sacrifice a few ranks of another skill here or there to get it. If you want something like the bolt of Web, this is again another threshold skill -- average per level is irrelevant, and you train for the ranks to get the threshold of interest. CM ranks are just the same -- if there is a CMAN you want, do it rank by rank, and not training such a skill once each level.

Also, I've had a banter about Phase and containers recently. If no one pointed out on this thread, things from before Phase changes (your wardrobe?) cannot be Phased, regardless of locks. Check them for magical resistance right away (you can Phase them with or without locks...the locks will make Phase also apply to their contents).

~daid (player of Kaldonis)