Question about songs 01/25/2012 01:50 AM CST
I was wondering if it would be considered against policy if I were to take existing songs, rearrange lyrics to make them fit within Elanthian standards?

I want to be able to entertain and whatnot, but I myself have close to no poetic or lyrical talent (except the very rare occasion). Would folksy songs changed to include Elanthian terms be considered OOC?
Re: Question about songs 01/25/2012 06:40 AM CST
>I was wondering if it would be considered against policy if I were to take existing songs, rearrange lyrics to make them fit within Elanthian standards?

It would really depend on the song, the extent of the alteration, and the crowd. Personally, I don't like it, but I was once chastised as a player for holding that view.

I can absolutely say that presenting something like this as your own work would get you disqualified from the contests that I have run. And this happens at least once every single time I host a contest.

~Vanah
Re: Question about songs 01/25/2012 08:59 AM CST
In a day to day setting, where you are having fun with friends or roleplaying a bard in a tavern, I believe your style is not just fine but welcome. Performing bards are actually very rare. I love hearing songs from other bards. I'm no better at it than you, though, so I've never performed in that manner. However, my character history is such that his bardic talents lead elsewhere. Plus, I actually think many people relate better to music they recognize than some mediocre original. Some will post your song on the PC faster than you spit it out in game and let others snicker at it.

Competitively, songs should be original simply because to do otherwise, and win, would create issues for all involved. Additionally, you are being rewarded for what amounts to hard work...and while there is certainly effort in replacing out of genre words in a song then performing it, it isn't the same. So, day to day, please by all means do as you are suggesting. At Bardfest or some GM run event, I would recommend not doing it.

In the end, entertaining others is about you and your audience having fun. Accomplishing this can be done in many ways. I think yours is quite valid. Just keep in mind that not everyone likes the same thing so you may always hear a snide remark or two.

~Galenok
Re: Question about songs 01/25/2012 04:54 PM CST
I think Galenok's suggestions are a great way to approach this.

-- Robert
Re: Question about songs 01/25/2012 05:19 PM CST

I can completely see this as a problem in a contest or event of some kind, at which point I would assume it would get hairy rather quickly. So I don't plan on doing that there.

For the other responses, I figure there would be some sort of snide backlash here and there, but overall it's no big deal. I just like the notion of having something to sing, instead of having to worry about digging around my brain for some kind of poetic style.

Thank you all for the suggestions and hopefully things will pick up from an RP standpoint soon :)
Re: Question about songs 01/25/2012 05:29 PM CST
I happen to love writing ballads, stories, and poems but if you want to start simple why not try muse. Build you confidence and before you know it, you'll be performing epics!

~*~ She conquers, who endures ~*~
Re: Question about songs 01/25/2012 11:44 PM CST

Have to agree with the others. Something that immediately came to mind was images of bards in books. Whatever town they were in they were pretty popular as not much entertainment came to them, even if they were simply retelling a story everyone had heard before with slight variations. If you have the urge to retell a story/song that fits in game, by all means I think it would benefit the game. In fact if you want another suggestion, borrow/buy items that have a loresong attached to them and do a retelling of what you see. I visited the museum tour on RR last week and the guide did just that...was very well done, I enjoyed hearing the story play out.

Lochiven
Re: Question about songs 01/26/2012 05:10 AM CST
While I don't believe any modern day songs have a place in a medieval setting...

I don't see why you couldn't use a song as a point of reference for time-meter and chorus/verse placement and then put your own lyrics in.

Also, the thesaurus is your friend if you need help finding words that rhyme and have particular meaning.

GM Marstreforn
Re: Question about songs 01/26/2012 09:32 AM CST
Just stay away from GMs with your songs. You'll be fine.

~Galenok
Re: Question about songs 01/26/2012 01:15 PM CST
I'm not sure I understand the point of the last post in this folder and I can only hope it was a jest.

However. In light of that post I am going to make a very generalized statement about the contents of this thread so far.

We, as GMs, are always seeking to ensure that the game remains up to par with the setting of a medieval fantasy environment.

Using a modern song is obviously not up to par with those standards and usually it is a fellow player that has an issue with using something like this in the game and REPORTS it. (And sometimes we see these reports from multiple players.)

Problem is. Once it has been done, it was done. And we can't erase the mistake made by the player. All we can do it make sure they are informed not to do it again.

We have rules against "Disrupting" the gave environment for a reason. (ie: Policy 3)

In the end. What's wrong with being a little creative? Why plagiarize something and bring it into a setting where it is not only unwelcome but greatly frowned upon by a number of your fellow players and staff alike.

GM Marstreforn
(Just say No to plagiarism.)
Re: Question about songs 01/26/2012 01:42 PM CST
Except the thing is, while some portion of the player base would be dissatisfied, most of those who just posted in this thread admit a need for some sort of player created performances, the random sort you might walk into any tavern and witness, not just the grandiose sort of events that GM's or CHE's run. The desire for it is apparently high enough that about five or six or more posted to go for it. It's not plagiarism if you're not passing it off as your own work and additionally there's no monetary gain from it, so it's not piracy. I really don't believe cover bands are a bad thing and finding a song that could be of a period topic wouldn't be difficult. Singing about a pink Cadillac might be ridiculous but singing about long lost love or whatever seems in genre enough a topic to me.

There are simply some things that don't occur in game enough to be worth reporting when you all let idiots run around with disruptive and moronic names then tell us it's too late to LCI them or whatever. The OOG tag seems to only pertain to what staff wants to enforce and not everything, so why enforce some silly random song? Disruptive is the idiot who rapid fire casts herbs in town centers until you cannot see anything else in the room, go enforce that.

~Galenok
Re: Question about songs 01/26/2012 03:39 PM CST

If you're going to copy someone to some degree go get something, well, medieval. Go translate o fortuna for some ideas, for example.
Re: Question about songs 01/26/2012 03:40 PM CST
The place I'd draw the line is between songs that are associated with particular performers and songs which could be sung by anyone.

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme a merchant after midnight
Wont someone help me take this padding away

shouldn't be done because its Abba and playing Abba isn't allowed any more than playing Obama.

23 Illoke Shamen need culling in the Halls
and if one Illoke Shaman should accidentally fall

should be fine, because green bottles are allowed in game.
Re: Question about songs 01/27/2012 12:09 AM CST
I wasn't planning on having the songs be modern in the sense that they would have OOG references in them or anything. Time-meter doesn't have as much to do with it, since one can't actually hear the music being played, it can only be inferred from the style of play (which is loose already). Replacing the verses and chorus completely would have me run up against the wall of not having decent skill in song smithing (and many of my favorites don't always rhyme)

What I was aiming for would be to use the skeleton of a song that I like, something that inspires me and fill in Elanthian details where necessary. References to RL cultures and whatnot would obviously have to be changed.

Thornbrook mentioned how bards in stories would come and sing or tell stories that everyone knew, and to some extent, I have considered this approach as well. I work at the Ren faire in my area, and many different bands, singers, minstrels, etc play the same folk songs, in their own styles. This would connect with what Rathboner said, although I didn't recognize the first verse as Abba until I read the summary of why it shouldn't be allowed.

Overall, I wouldn't be passing these things off as my own, the only place I could really do that would be in Events where original content is requested; and seeing as I don't really do well in that area, I more than likely will not be competing at such events.

If something like this would be a serious issue, I can just not sing all together, but I'd rather have a shot at putting stuff together to make my rp with this character a little more fun, as it's the first time playing a bard for me.
~S
Re: Question about songs 01/27/2012 01:08 AM CST
>>Time-meter doesn't have as much to do with it, since one can't actually hear the music being played

I was referring to the syllable counts per line, etc.

>>If something like this would be a serious issue, I can just not sing all together, but I'd rather have a shot at putting stuff together to make my rp with this character a little more fun, as it's the first time playing a bard for me.

If the material content is within the scope of the game and isn't an obvious reference to well known media I don't see any problems with it at all, and actually encourage it.

We are here to have fun, after all. We just don't want to end up taking away from another player's sense of fun because of it. That is why there are rules against being OOC/OOG.

GM Marstreforn
Re: Question about songs 01/27/2012 01:41 AM CST
>I was referring to the syllable counts per line, etc. - Transformer

Scansion would be the word you're looking for there.

>If something like this would be a serious issue, I can just not sing all together, but I'd rather have a shot at putting stuff together to make my rp with this character a little more fun, as it's the first time playing a bard for me. - SANN

I'd never discourage the player of a bard from working on performance, and I have no problem with adaptation and transposition from terrestrial sources. I've even done it myself, albeit taking the source as a very broad inspiration for a very loose adaptation. I would, however, advise against using any recognizable 20th and 21st century culture as source material for Elanthian barding. No matter how many words you change, someone is going to recognize the source and get yanked out of Elanthia by the reference.

Fortunately, there's an almost limitless range of source material available from the history of English writing that is appropriate to the genre and period. Plus, doing the research to find it is loads of fun. (If you're a nerd. Which, well, you play GemStone. Nuff said.)

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: Question about songs 01/27/2012 07:57 AM CST
So the next time someone asks my bard to follow them around and sing their praises, I shouldn't modify the "brave brave brave sir robin" song from monty python eh?
Re: Question about songs 01/27/2012 09:25 AM CST
Just sing "Fast, fast, fast, Lord Tonis" and they won't complain.
Re: Question about songs 01/27/2012 05:31 PM CST

>So the next time someone asks my bard to follow them around and sing their praises, I shouldn't modify the "brave brave brave sir robin" song from monty python eh?

Heh odd you should mention this, that clip from the holy grail pops into my head everytime bandits kick my butt less then 30 seconds after leaving town.
Re: Question about songs 01/30/2012 10:37 PM CST
Ahh gotcha

Well thank you, I'm glad that the responses were varied enough to give me some more to think about.

I will do my best to keep things as IG as possible and change references enough so that other people don't get the feeling they are watching MTV or something, haha.

~S
Re: Question about songs 03/09/2014 02:59 PM CDT
<<So the next time someone asks my bard to follow them around and sing their praises, I shouldn't modify the "brave brave brave sir robin" song from monty python eh?>>

No, you should bring their ego back down to Elanthia by singing "Eye of the Rolton"

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.