Miscellaneous Skills 10/07/2010 02:23 PM CDT
Hello again...just got a couple of quick questions (again!)...

AS/MIU - Some advocate getting at least 24 ranks. I was thinking about just grabbing 4 ranks (for early 403/404 imbed usage).

1. Will I be able to disarm scarabs if I am 3x trained in Disarm?

2. Other than Broken Lands, do I need AS to find my way into other areas of the game?

Survival

3. How many ranks should I aim for? In a build I have now, I don't start picking up ranks (60 in total) until my 30's...is that going to be trouble?

Stalk/Hide

4. 2x or 3x for a sniper build? Right now, I start at 2x, then start to catch up to 3x in my mid 30's.

As always, thank you!
Re: Miscellaneous Skills 10/07/2010 03:11 PM CDT
>>AS/MIU - Some advocate getting at least 24 ranks. I was thinking about just grabbing 4 ranks (for early 403/404 imbed usage).

If you grab only 4 ranks, you won't be able to reliably invoke spells. I'd get at least 10 ranks of each if all you want them for are 403/404.

>>1. Will I be able to disarm scarabs if I am 3x trained in Disarm?

AS helps with the scritch message; but with 3x in Disarm, you should be safe disarming scarab traps, unless they're at the top end of your range.

>>2. Other than Broken Lands, do I need AS to find my way into other areas of the game?

My highest level character is a wizard (and doubled in AS), so this is something I don't know.

>>Survival
>>3. How many ranks should I aim for? In a build I have now, I don't start picking up ranks (60 in total) until my 30's...is that going to be trouble?

It depends on where you live and what you want it for. If it's for skinning, you can pick it up whenever you want to. Aim for 1x Survival and 1x First Aid.

If you live in a place like Icemule or Teras (or hunt cold areas in Illistim), it helps with the environmental effects, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I don't know that there's a threshold; the more, the better.

>>Stalk/Hide
>>4. 2x or 3x for a sniper build? Right now, I start at 2x, then start to catch up to 3x in my mid 30's.

I'd get S/H as high as possible. I'd also pick up Armored Stealth (wow, just realized that's AS) and Shadow Mastery.
Re: Miscellaneous Skills 10/07/2010 03:18 PM CDT
>1. Will I be able to disarm scarabs if I am 3x trained in Disarm?

I would suggest waiting until level 15-18 at 3x for scarabs unless you get really a lot of AS early. At level 15, 3x disarm, 10ish ranks of AS you should be fine.

>Survival

Don't need it. It can be nice for a few areas, but you probably won't miss it unless you plan on skinning (in which case you should get as close to 1x/1x FA/Surv as you can.

>4. 2x or 3x for a sniper build? Right now, I start at 2x, then start to catch up to 3x in my mid 30's.

2.5x-ish if you can. Sniping definitely makes good use of the extra hiding skill (whereas I wouldn't say ambushers really need more than 2x). And of course, with vanish, being able to hide infront of creatures, with a penalty, is now live-saving -- I've been pumping mine up like crazy to get to 3x.

- Greminty
Re: Miscellaneous Skills 10/07/2010 07:39 PM CDT
>AS/MIU - Some advocate getting at least 24 ranks. I was thinking about just grabbing 4 ranks (for early 403/404 imbed usage).

Another thing to consider for this besides what's already mentioned is LFM. For LM SENSE, you'll need to find rooms with certain conditions. In this instance, spells like Dark (204?), Light (205), and Spirit Fog (106) can come in handy.

~Isobeau
Re: Miscellaneous Skills 10/07/2010 09:54 PM CDT
Thank you for the info, but I'm unsure what you mean by "LFM" or "LM SENSE"? :)
Re: Miscellaneous Skills 10/07/2010 09:56 PM CDT
LFM = Lock bleeping Mastery, LM sense is lock mastery sense. They are refering to the rogue guild skill.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: Miscellaneous Skills 10/07/2010 10:03 PM CDT
Okay, so as a 3x picker, is it then advisable to get all my AS/MIU training in before I start saving for my lore spells (403 and 404)? The original plan was to grab 4 ranks of AS/MIU right away, then save for 403 and 404, then grab some first aid/survival, and maybe go back and get some more AS/MIU.

Maybe I should just grab 10 ranks of AS/MIU right away and delay my 403 and 404 a bit more? I guess if I and 3x trained, I should be able to open most of my boxes without lores for some time.

Thanks again for the help!
Re: Miscellaneous Skills 10/08/2010 09:10 AM CDT
>Maybe I should just grab 10 ranks of AS/MIU right away and delay my 403 and 404 a bit more? I guess if I and 3x trained, I should be able to open most of my boxes without lores for some time.

Yes. This would be my plan. You don't need lores for your own boxes until like 40, even 2x'd I think. I wouldn't worry so much about MIU, personally, and just grab 10-15 ranks of AS by 20ish. Lets you be far safer with scarabs earlier, and 403/404 is easy to find on scrolls (pawnshops, playershops, etc.) if you do need it. Not to mention that scrolls are generally very useful otherwise.

- Greminty