Returning after a few years. 06/19/2018 04:09 PM CDT
Hello, I'm returning after a few years away. I think my training is generally fine. What I'm more interested in is hunting tactics and style. CMANs to train, armor bonuses to get, etc.

Tried hunting plane 3 and died pretty quickly. Before I left I sold my permabless weapon so I'm pretty sure undead is out of the picture now, correct? Just a general direction as far as this kind of stuff would be great. Hunting grounds, all that stuff.

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 180 80
Shield Use.........................| 189 89
Combat Maneuvers...................| 278 178
Edged Weapons......................| 278 178
Thrown Weapons.....................| 45 9
Ambush.............................| 278 178
Physical Fitness...................| 189 89
Dodging............................| 278 178
Arcane Symbols.....................| 120 30
Magic Item Use.....................| 111 27
Harness Power......................| 30 6
Disarming Traps....................| 278 178
Picking Locks......................| 282 182
Stalking and Hiding................| 278 178
Perception.........................| 278 178
Climbing...........................| 130 35
Swimming...........................| 120 30
Pickpocketing......................| 274 174

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 5
Training Points: 52 Phy 0 Mnt (156 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)
Re: Returning after a few years. 06/19/2018 08:20 PM CDT
It's be easier to give pointers if I knew what CMANs, SHIELD maneuvers, and Armor spec you have already (CMAN INFO, SHIELD INFO, and ARMOR INFO can tell what you might have picked up before your break).

Stealthy OHE users are generally well off keeping two weapons on them: a dagger for ambushing eyes on lightly armored opponents and a handaxe/falchion/etc for more heavily armored or noncorp foes.

Not having a permablessed weapon doesn't rule out hunting undead. If you're voln you can find a good weapon to bless yourself or most towns sell pure potions in the back room of their cleric shop. Clerics can also bless your weapons for you (might want to carry a pure potion just in case it runs out in the middle of a hunt). Keep in mind that if you get any offensive SHIELD maneuvers, you'll also need to bless your shield for them to work.

Just guessing your level to be 87-88 based on your training, so Plane 3 of the rift should easily be doable for you. You might want to play around on Plane 2 for a bit until you get used to everything again and develop your tactics though... it's underhunting but you'll still learn there. Above level 80ish just about every hunting ground you can go to is going to be challenging until you learn their quarks (some even after), visit the wiki page for each area you consider and the pages for the critters in them to get a good idea what dangers to expect and what you can do to avoid them.

I don't see anything glaring missing from your training, so anything anyone would suggest would likely be tweaks based on personal preference or suggestions for whatever hunting ground you might settle on at cap.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Returning after a few years. 06/19/2018 08:57 PM CDT
Well I'm starting to realize why I had a bit of trouble, there's apparently a ton of new stuff to spec into.

Mexlur, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Shadow Mastery smastery 5
Dirtkick dirtkick 4
Disarm Weapon disarm 4
Feint feint 4
Garrote garrote 1
Silent Strike silentstrike 4
Specialization I wspec1 3
Combat Mobility mobility 2
Surge of Strength surge 3
Cutthroat cutthroat 5

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 6

Available Shield Training Points: 89

Available Armor Training Points: 80
Re: Returning after a few years. 06/19/2018 09:39 PM CDT
Garrote is rarely useful in hunting, though if you have it for RP reasons one rank won't make or break you if you hold onto it. Hopefully someone else will chime in to help with these, since my rogue is a sniper and what my warrior uses won't help you.

For Shield Specializations, I'd focus on either small or medium shield focus depending on what size shield you use first. If your shield is spiked, you'll want to get Spike Focus as well (if you're unsure, INSPECT your shield). Shield Bash can knock critters on their back without having to leg them (some critters are immune to this). If you can find a sorcerer to ensorcell your shield, Spell Block and Shield Mind will help with magical critters.

Based on your Armor training, I'm guessing you're in some sort of chain armor, so Armored Evasion would probably be better of the two Armor Specs for you. You'll likely only be able to get 2-3 ranks in it until a fair bit after cap, but it'll still help. Keep in mind that this needs to be activated with the command ARMOR EVASION while wearing the armor for it to work, but it will last for 4 hours or until you remove the armor (whichever comes first). If you're in brig rather then chain, it'll be a personal preference which you get, STEALTH will help a bit more with hiding and staying hidden but EVASION will help with everything affected by the action penalty.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Returning after a few years. 06/19/2018 11:33 PM CDT
So I'm in MBP which I remember being pretty critical for rogues back in the day. Is that not the cast anymore?
Re: Returning after a few years. 06/20/2018 12:13 AM CDT
What armor you use is largely preference, though what you hunt and your fighting style should be considered. I've heard of rogues going all the way to cap in everything from double leather all the way up to MBP, though most don't seem to move beyond chain pre-cap.

Heavier armor will help reduce crits inflicted by AS based attacks (including bolt spells) and boost resistance to CS based spells, but the bigger action penalty they give will make it harder to perform or defend against Combat Maneuvers and anything that uses a Standard Maneuver Roll (most critter maneuvers and some spells/society abilities). I've seen some say it's harder to hide or stay hidden in heavier armor, though others say this isn't true (if you ever learn CMAN VANISH, heavier armor def hinders hiding when using that, though).

So, what armor to choose depends largely on what you find yourself being targeted with and/or killed by. As a rogue, AS attacks shouldn't be too dangerous unless something catches you in offensive, stuns, sticks you in extended RT, etc. So you're prolly looking at either defending against CS casters that can put you in many of those conditions (heavier armor) or avoiding critter maneuvers that can do the same or outright kill you (lighter armor).

Many rogues stop at brig and never move beyond it (esp if they find a decently padded set), others decide to move up to chain at about your level or a bit before. Not many that I've seen chime in on it recently have suggested MBP as necessary, though I haven't seen many making strong arguments against it if that's what one chooses either.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Returning after a few years. 06/20/2018 07:23 AM CDT
>So I'm in MBP which I remember being pretty critical for rogues back in the day. Is that not the cast anymore?

Vanish is the pretty critical thing these days. I hunted 2,3 and 4 in chain (AsG 15).

>Tried hunting plane 3 and died pretty quickly.

Everything is squishy (though I used UAC on them not OHE)

Avoid the aivren (unless its the only thing in the room, in which case come out of hiding, wait for it to attack, vanish and smash its eye/head in)
Don't leg warlocks. Don't hang around in or next to a room with a void.
N'ecare are undead, but shouldn't give you a problem if you don't let them tackle you.

Hiding in front of some of them may give you a problem, particularly if you are trying it in a room where the current conditions are bad for hiding, but warlocks are blind.

I reckoned 2 was pretty easy for a rogue too, but you are really overlevelled for it now and probably should get your tactics sorted out on 3. Minos could be another place to practice.

>Garrote is rarely useful in hunting, though if you have it for RP reasons one rank won't make or break you if you hold onto it. Hopefully someone else will chime in to help with these, since my rogue is a sniper and what my warrior uses won't help you.

>Pickpocketing......................| 274 174

As I remember, Mexlur is that kind of character.

Vanish is the one CMan you really should have. You should look into divert as well (annoyingly it doesn't work on flyers, it really ought to solve aivrens on 3 but they are "too far away" to be diverted when they are close enough to see you in hiding). I suspect Mexlur would want a rank of it for RP even if it wasn't suited for hunting. You might want focus in the Rift.

Evasion is the only armor skill worth having in the heavier armor.

You should check out the spell avoiding shield manoevers. (Evade the elements? something like that)
sbash is very useful for defense, but virtually all capped critters are either outright immune to it or know it themselves so it becomes pretty ineffective offensively at cap, I used it an awful lot on my warrior pre cap, but never use it now except for giggles on bandits that have failed to sbash me.
Re: Returning after a few years. 06/20/2018 07:37 PM CDT
Yes the Garrote is RP reasons, I remember that specifically, that's why I only have the 1 rank.

Thanks friends, things are already looking good, got a decent hunt in. Vanish is super useful.
Re: Returning after a few years. 06/20/2018 08:34 PM CDT
<Vanish is super useful.>

Yes it is, it's saved my sniper rogue's rump many many times. The only reason I didn't make more of a case for it myself was my OHE ambusher is a ranger who doesn't have access to it, so I just assumed OHE rogues wouldn't have as much need for it as ranged rogues (silly me for forgetting rogues can't keep critters busy with Tangle Weed).

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Returning after a few years. 06/27/2018 07:49 AM CDT
I stopped at hauberk as far as armor goes. The reason being that if I find a nice enhancive armor piece for any sport on the body other than the chest ... and I do actually have several ... I can't wear it with MBP without bumping up the AsG. Wearing my +8 strength vambraces while in MBP, for example, would bring me up to half-plate. I did way overtrain in armor skill though, to get that 4th rank of evasion.