Re: Pickpocketing 12/30/2016 05:43 PM CST
<I'm not sure I understand the fear of item loss through the justice system. I realize they take your items but they give you a LOT of time to get them back before they would be sold. The only way I could imagine a player losing items this way is if they were somehow scripting the interaction and not attentive for quite some time. In my five years as a GM I have never seen anyone lose their times and in 20+ years as a player I can think of maybe one instance where someone lost an item.>

I hope you're talking specifically about incidents involving pickpocketing, because it used to be quite common for locksmiths to incur massive fines when missing traps with too many people in the room and end up loosing most or all of their worn inventory when they didn't have enough silvers to pay the fine. I even abandoned the first rogue I ever had when it was level 5 because of a 2 million silver fine for this, back in the AOL days.

I think it was some time shortly after the switch from GS3 to GS4 that max fines were reduced and the amount of time given to pay them was increased (though as recently as a couple years ago I heard of a young locksmith losing a portion of the items in their box).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Pickpocketing 12/30/2016 06:07 PM CST
<<I hope you're talking specifically about incidents involving pickpocketing

I am. I should have been more clear but since the discussion is about pickpocketing I was referring to it, not the system as a whole. I would think the chance that a pickpocket racked up millions in fines would be pretty remote and so the loss of gear issue wouldn't really pertain to this particular skill discussion. That's just my opinion though.

~Mazreth
Ta'Vaalor Guru
Erithi Guru
Burghal Gnome Guru

"Mother should I trust the Government?"
Re: Pickpocketing 12/31/2016 06:00 AM CST
>Autoaccuse flag sounds fun. I wouldn't go so far as to fork over all their thievable goods though. One must keep in mind it has been deemed a worthy skill and as such warrants merit to the game and needs to be encouraged, not punished.

So fence them before you get caught ...

Just like with marks, its a judgement on how much risk you want to take. If you don't want to lose any items, you keep containers closed when they are in thievable locations. Its a bit inconvenient, but if you really hate being pickpocketed you just write simple scripts to manage container operations for you and never lose anything. If you really hated being caught with extra stuff to fork over, you could fence it as soon as you acquired it. Again its a balance of convenience against risk.

>I'm not saying it should stay, just that I don't understand the fear if you are actively playing the game.

If you understand the mechanic, have a stable connection, and have no RL commitments, an hour is plenty of time, but otherwise it isn't. If a few of your gems and a couple of black crystals happen to vanish into the pockets of the sheriff, thats to be expected, but total inventory wipe shouldn't happen.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/01/2017 01:02 AM CST

How about making it function additionally like the forage verb in populated or urban areas.

pickpocket gem coin weapon object item etal.

Then it'll be like; You scout around and manage to lift an/a item from an unsuspecting passerby or shelf.
roundtime

then after 2 or 3 attempts the room will be empty and will have to replenish after a period.

the higher the roll the better the item. put random really nice things in the mix akin to those digging grounds and games from various events for the highly skilled. mark every item gained in this method as stolen so if you fail so badly yer caught those items marked will be taken away permanantly on top of the theft penalty already in place.

each time yer caught will add a negative modifier that will slowly lessen over time til its gone to help stave off abuse. just ideas that would make the skill somewhat profitable and usable by people who dont want to distress other players.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/01/2017 06:53 PM CST
I think pickpocketing generated an element of caution in players that is now completely lacking. Pickpocketing, as far as I know, simply doesn't happen anymore. I.e., without crowds of people in rooms without permanent sanctuaries, there are no pickpockets left.

There is no longer any need for jaw traps, needle traps, bladder traps, cursed gems, Demons to watch your pockets, auto-closing containers to protect your gems in the park, Perception (or 402 Presence) or Pickpocketing ranks to make you more likely to catch a thief, casting Light or Minor Sanctuary, etc., because pickpocketing isn't happening.

I think this makes Elanthia a less interesting place. I understand the argument that maybe the PvP generated from pickpocketing was too much work for the GMs to deal with. I also don't have any good solutions for the important problems that have been raised (griefing players, etc.) New players were already automatically protected from pickpocketing, and a cooldown was already in place if you were caught.

I think it is unfortunate that an entire set of mechanics in the game have been abandoned - and I'm confused that auction items are still released that are for pickpocketing.

I also don't understand the absurdly harsh suggestions for penalties. If we wanted pickpocketing back in the game, we would want people to actually do it, which they wouldn't with permanent hand loss, etc., as a consequence.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/02/2017 10:16 PM CST
The issue arises from an entirely separate group of people, for whom the "we want" statement is "less stealing", instead of "more stealing". <shrug>

People happen to exist on both sides of the debate, is all.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 09:09 AM CST

What matters is the official response from GM's and the people who are trying to work within the framework.

Those not operating within this framework simply aren't offering anything constructive, but they're going to troll anyway.

We can't truly engage simutronics in a constructive manner with discord in the thread. I would like to encourage Simutronics to do more to keep the exchange on track. It would help us to put it back on active status.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 10:10 AM CST
GMs have said that they're not averse to changing <pretty much anything, which is not in the Character Manager>.

But, since the Boards are open to all, every time you (or someone else) comes to say how much they love the possibilities of the current system (or even more changes), I (or someone else) has equal justification to say how much we wouldn't mind the demise of the current system (or even more).

Please note, for example, that there were MONTHS--probably, years; quite possibly, decades--of elapsed time rolling along of absolute silence on the subject of removing Pick Pockets.
Until someone--naming no names--started saying, "Let's do something!"

Once Opinion#1 opens the door, others are going to offer other Opinions.

TL,DR: When you open with a conversational gambit, you need to expect responses. If you don't want responses, then that's a diatribe. Anything you don't want us seeing and replying to, send directly to the GMs in email. None of us will have any inkling of what the fabulous new suggestions are, to be able to comment on them.

So, put forward your systemic suggestions, as to how Pickpocketing can be made into a Moar Better Thing.

I'm... skeptical of the "put a bomb in the creature's pocket" (what about animals? what about golems? not all Undead wear clothes?) but I'd be willing to see what comes of it. It's not like we don't have explosive reagents floating around here... :)
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 11:15 AM CST
I play a cleric, empath, and paladin and none of them pickpocket nor will they. Each of them carries at least one jaw trap per container, though, and one actually carries three per container. (Does that even help? I don't know; I did it for RP reasons. She'd carry three of each type of trap if she had them.)

For two of my characters, the IC reason is because they don't want thieves to do their thing, but for my other character and for my own OOC reason, we do want thieves to do their thing and get caught. Each character has different reasons for carrying the traps and I'd love to explore those motivations since none of them are among the first things that people might think of--they didn't grow up in rough environments, didn't come from families of rogues, aren't staunchly opposed to criminals, etc.

But no one has ever set off the traps even when my characters hang around Solhaven or Icemule and don't sanct, when they're stuck on the ground in huge Spirit Guide RT, or any other time that would make for a perfect target, so those are phantom RP opportunities that don't actually come up.

To be fair, I hear that clerics and empaths are unlikely targets because of peer pressure. I could easily imagine a lot more corpses in towns if clerics and empaths were getting pickpocketed.

For my own selfish reasons (more bodies to raise for free experience!) and because I've seen amazing RP come out of it, I'd actually love an environment with way, way more mechanical CvC than what's in the lands now--but I understand why there isn't. Implosion. CvC degenerating into PvP. Limited GM resources.

So even though I only wrote it as a few lines earlier, I'll just reiterate in more detail that I'd like to see more done with lock mastery traps. Why:

-It keeps the interaction between the thief and the mark. No need to hire friends to go steal back or implode the thief or whatever other things people would do.
-The target can punish the thief regardless of level difference.
-Opportunities to explore RP motivations for carrying traps.
-More reason to take boxes to player locksmiths instead of NPCs.
-Another RP perk: develop a reputation as that one character who always has traps. Will the thieves go after you less and aim for easier marks or will they see you as a challenge and go after you more?

Maybe other benefits too!

AIM: sweetleafiara@gmail.com
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 11:36 AM CST

>>To be fair, I hear that clerics and empaths are unlikely targets because of peer pressure. I could easily imagine a lot more corpses in towns if clerics and empaths were getting pickpocketed.

Is anyone being pickpocketed? And if so, where? I could imagine someone new to the skill who just pickpockets while randomly out hunting, and, of course, is immediately caught because you need a good crowd (think half a dozen or more) of people loitering around for it to work well.

So far as I know, there were only a few places in the entire game where pickpocketing could be done with any sort of reliability, and these were TSC in Landing, Town Square in Icemule, and the Dais in Ta'Illistim. These places are now either empty, or permanently sancted (?).
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 11:52 AM CST

It's here to stay, and we will make it more fun :)
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 02:43 PM CST
>>Is anyone being pickpocketed? And if so, where?

I have had a few attempts on my characters, mostly in the Landing. It has generally happened in the gemshop and right outside the gate. Of course, as soon as an attempt was unsuccessful the thieves ran.

>Those not operating within this framework simply aren't offering anything constructive, but they're going to troll anyway.

No, we are simply not allowing you to do things like assume a consensus that does not exist in favor of pickpocketing. As to being constructive, constructive to me would be to change the skill so that it is not CvC based, so we have different definitions there. But you would do much better if you would engage ideas and arguments rather than continuing to try to shut down disagreements as if they do not exist and insulting other posters.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 03:03 PM CST
<Is anyone being pickpocketed? And if so, where?>

I don't think there's anyone really bothering with it anymore, other then maybe an occasional new player. It's been years since I've seen anyone complaining about thieves (either in game or here on the boards), and there certainly isn't anyone doing it like the well known pickpockets of the past (Grandsome, Leash, etc).

Other then a couple times friends have been playing around with it, I haven't had items go missing from my inventory or caught anyone rifling through my pockets in a long time, despite having gems, wands, etc that's stealable on most of my characters most of the time. I'm also the sort of person that's lazy about closing containers.

Starchitin

PS Moderators: The players of both characters mentioned were very open about the activities of those characters, both in game and on the forums. There's even a log on the Wiki (posted by Grandsome to the forums years ago) that shows him repeatedly stealing from a hunting partner.

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 03:54 PM CST
>Other then a couple times friends have been playing around with it, I haven't had items go missing from my inventory or caught anyone rifling through my pockets in a long time, despite having gems, wands, etc that's stealable on most of my characters most of the time. I'm also the sort of person that's lazy about closing containers.

I remember the days when you could steal from someone's disk....

The Park in the Landing used to be the hangout spot for mass spells. It was a terrific location for thieves back in the day. I'd highlight all names in bright yellow that I saw thieving or caught in my things. There'd be days I'd pass through the park or stop in TSC for help from an empath and I'd see a dozen plus thieves just hanging out in the open among the crowd of people.....I'm not saying they were constantly stealing, but they were known by my character to have stickyfingers.

I still have a habit of closing my disk and keeping all my containers closed. Out hunting, I come across a good gem (diamond and such), I OPEN MY POUCH/PUT GEM IN MY POUCH/CLOSE MY POUCH. Also, when I check my silver I still don't use the SILVER command in game. I always type INFO.

A great way to make yourself a mark back in the day was by typing SILVER in game. You show yourself off to others with:
Xxxxxxx rummages around in his pockets.

A few moments later you'd see the same person checking their pockets for silvers and you'd see this:
Xxxxxxx appears to be checking his pockets for something, but finds them empty.

Once they removed the rapid fire stealing, a handful of thieves in one spot could still pick a mark clean in a matter of seconds.

I don't miss the days of heavy thievery, but at the same time, I do miss the posts of people showing how they picked a room clean and came out with tons of gems and silver. It was always an entertaining read. I also found it funny when someone would shout out, "Close your containers, we got a thief!" and you'd see everyone and their cousin closing all their containers over the next couple of seconds.

Trying to find a system that can benefit the thief as much as it will protect the mark, would require a re-write of the skill with a lot of checks and balances put into place. Whether the GMs will take this route or if they leave things as they are, either one doesn't matter to me.

-Drumpel
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 04:06 PM CST
"I still have a habit of closing my disk and keeping all my containers closed.
Out hunting, I come across a good gem (diamond and such), I OPEN MY POUCH/PUT GEM IN MY POUCH/CLOSE MY POUCH.
Also, when I check my silver I still don't use the SILVER command in game. I always type INFO." -- Drumpel

(For me, it was "weal"[th], but the idea's the same.) I guess I'm dating myself, because I do all of these, too. :)

(Although I approach it from the standpoint of Ctrl+G(et macro) is to the generic container of mundane things, while Alt+G(et macro) is to the one that opens/closes.
And really it's more for "having the Wizard use Duplicate on these wands" or "having the Bard use Purification on these gems" or "having the Bard use LoreSong on these items", than concern about thievery.)

It used to be that anyone could get items from any open disk.
Then came the great "laen dag" war, between the Bloody Clanners and the GMs.
The GMs pretty much lost that one.

Then you could get items from the disk of someone in your group. Has that now changed, also?
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 04:53 PM CST

>>Those not operating within this framework simply aren't offering anything constructive, but they're going to troll anyway.

>No, we are simply not allowing you to do things like assume a consensus that does not exist in favor of pickpocketing. As >to being constructive, constructive to me would be to change the skill so that it is not CvC based, so we have different >definitions there. But you would do much better if you would engage ideas and arguments rather than continuing to try to >shut down disagreements as if they do not exist and insulting other posters.

>--David

Ideas have been shared, GM's have made statements and yet you pursue discourse that's been dismissed. You'll never get total consensus, so all that matters is the games Master rulings, an that many of us (as expressed in this thread) see great potential for making the entire thing fly again without causing grief.

You need to listen to the ideas given by me and others.

1. Improved justice system.
2. Possible interaction with arrest process.
3. Possible retribution without being arrested.
4. Possible adv guild bounties.
5. Theft from merchants & NPC's again.
6. Removal of justice system item loss.
7. Fixing current system's out dated mechanics.
8. Possible system flagging as being a known thief.
9. Possible victim compensation if arrest is made.
10. And more.

You can't suggest unreasonable ideas and expect then to build those in. I.e. Cut a hand off perm...
All you will do is find disappointment.

It's so boring now nobody cares about it.
It was an exciting element, though lacked a proper framework.

We need a framework, not a lingering nuisance.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 05:10 PM CST
>Ideas have been shared, GM's have made statements and yet you pursue discourse that's been dismissed.

It's like you're reading different GM posts than I am. I've seen GM's post positive and negative experiences with the pickpocketing system. I've seen them say they won't get rid of the skill in the character manager which doesn't mean they are against nerfing the skill against players completely. I've seen GM posts saying they would like to have an option for players to opt out of being possible marks completely. They have also said that people posting have every right to post their ideas and wishes and it's fine.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 05:19 PM CST

There's nothing wrong with ideas.

Plenty of bad stuff that took place, hence the nurf, but we need to move forward.

To the opt out, my opinion is that doesn't fly anymore than an opt out of combat flies.
I don't think it fits the spirit.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 05:27 PM CST
>To the opt out, my opinion is that doesn't fly anymore than an opt out of combat flies.

Here's the thing, when it comes to combat if a player attacks you with no reason it can be against policy. It's basically an opt out of PvP combat. You can't opt out of combat against critters of course but lots of people are suggesting the pickpocket be used on humanoid critters/npc/merchants.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 06:00 PM CST
>Ideas have been shared, GM's have made statements and yet you pursue discourse that's been dismissed.

Dismissed by whom? I have seen no official statement that any idea other than a change to the character manager is not likely to happen. A few GMs have posted their own opinions, and even those have not been consistent. You want to claim ideas have been dismissed because you do not agree with them. That does not make it a reality. Absolutely no official voice has said that eliminating the CvC element of pickpocketing is off the table, or that an opt out is impossible.

>To the opt out, my opinion is that doesn't fly anymore than an opt out of combat flies.

And that is your opinion, which you are entitled to, but do not claim that it is unreasonable or off topic just because you disagree with the idea, when, as has been noted, even a GM indicated it as a possibility--completely as a matter of opinion on the GMs part, of course, just like the other GM posts in this thread that you want to cite as absolute authority.

I'm sure that everyone is tired of seeing us go back and forth like this. Again, I would suggest you focus on discussing ideas, both those you like and those you don't, rather than trying to silence the ones you do not like.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 08:32 PM CST
>>>>Is anyone being pickpocketed? And if so, where?

>>I have had a few attempts on my characters, mostly in the Landing. It has generally happened in the gemshop and right outside the gate. Of course, as soon as an attempt was unsuccessful the thieves ran.

Sounds like a would-be thief who had no idea how unlikely that was to work - you really need a large crowd of people to have any hope.

Pickpocketing is a dead mechanics system because there are no crowded rooms without permanent sanctuaries - these are the only places where anyone is going to be realistically stolen from. I think the system could be revived if some of the Inns/tables burned down, and the permanent sanctuaries were removed.

As is, people are paranoid about a system they don't have a working understanding of, protecting themselves in half-hearted ways from a threat that doesn't exist.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 09:09 PM CST
I would be against removing sanctuaries so a few people have more opportunity to create conflict.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 09:11 PM CST
>>>>Is anyone being pickpocketed? And if so, where?

>>I have had a few attempts on my characters, mostly in the Landing. It has generally happened in the gemshop and right outside the gate. Of course, as soon as an attempt was unsuccessful the thieves ran.

>>Sounds like a would-be thief who had no idea how unlikely that was to work - you really need a large crowd of people to have any hope.

I'm not just talking about one person. It has happened several times. But I would generality agree with your assessment otherwise. The point is that people still do try to steal.

>>I think the system could be revived if some of the Inns/tables burned down, and the permanent sanctuaries were removed.

All this would do is create more public zombies and force everyone to participate in a system that some of us do not enjoy, creating more conflict and complaints. There has to be a better solution than this. Unless, of course, the change was accompanied by an opt-out from the theft system for those who want it--and even with that, the elimination of the tables would still cause the zombie effect.

--David

Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 09:18 PM CST
I have it!

Have random NPC thieves stroll about town, stealing various items / silvers from anyone and everyone.

Allow PCs to band together and hunt down an NPC thief caught in the act.

Allow PCs to bounty with (hire?) PC thieves to get the items back (who better to catch a thief than. . .)

Add item recovery as a special Adventurers' Guild bounty task - in town instead of in the wilds.

Let PC thieves steal straight up from any NPC thieves they discover / observe / get reports about / get a bounty on.

And. . .

Let PC thieves steal from PC characters, facing all the above provisos, including NPC thieves getting the items back for any PC so requesting.

Doug
Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 10:49 PM CST
Doug, couple of problems with this:

>Have random NPC thieves stroll about town, stealing various items / silvers from anyone and everyone.

For those of us who do not like the theft system, I don't see what this would resolve. Being stolen from by NPCs is not more fun than being stolen from by PCs. And yes, I know you said people could band together to hunt down the thief, but that does not sound like something that would be fun to spend time on, especially since under such a system as this you would need to do it over and over again.

>Let PC thieves steal from PC characters, facing all the above provisos, including NPC thieves getting the items back for any PC so requesting.

If the thief did not get caught, there was no interaction, so the PC victim would not be able to make such a request. Better to leave it as a system where PC thieves steal from NPCs.

--David

Re: Pickpocketing 01/03/2017 11:56 PM CST
Ahh, but David - the Adventurers' Guild knows all (somehow)! Never ceases to amaze me how they can tie a missing child report to a particular creature, nor how they know the kid somehow survived, nor. . .

And in all honesty, selecting out of participation could remain as easy as closing containers and frequenting banks. Or even baiting containers (see previous posts about container traps. ;)

What the suggestion does do, is it creates avenues for NPC-PC interaction for the skill, not unlike combat. That one point alone is essential, in my view - and why I chose to walk that path in the suggestion. Admittedly, though, it still needs some rounding out.

Can't say for sure - but I'll bet we could build something satisfactory in concept, if we add. I get that some dissatisfaction may remain. Don't know that I have all the answers, honestly. That's why I threw this out there. But moving from the dialog from 'untenable' to 'unsatisfactory' is a start! Now, how do we round it out?

As an 'add' example - Maybe pay for protection? A stipend to the Thieves' Guild would go a long way, I would imagine. Even in protecting oneself from a PC thief - registered with the guild of course. The guild would likely take a dim view of an 'unlicensed' operator within its area of interest. The loss of a hand, even permanently, might be considered 'light punishment' in their eyes.

The only real downfall I see is that it doesn't seem to be light development effort. But I've seen the GM team pull off some amazing changes recemtly, so why dream small I ask.

Doug
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 12:58 AM CST
>>And in all honesty, selecting out of participation could remain as easy as closing containers and frequenting banks. Or even baiting containers (see previous posts about container traps. ;)

I do close my containers. But every now and again one forgets, and when thieving was more common, that is all it took, because someone would be hiding in any popular gathering place just waiting to take advantage. I'd rather just have an opt out to solve the problem, and then those who would enjoy this system could participate in it.

I honestly do not understand the objection to an opt-out, by the way. As someone else said, if it is true that a majority of people want an active pickpocketing system, then only a minority would opt out, and then everyone is happy. If the real fear is that too many people would opt out--well, that says something about the reality of what is going on with this discussion, I think.

Now, if the traps you mention always worked, that would be different. But they don't. I have needles and jaws in all of my important containers, and I have had thieves work around them plenty of times. I have no idea what the equation is for a thief to be caught by a trap, but traps have never seemed particularly effective to me.

--David

Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 07:09 AM CST
>>I honestly do not understand the objection to an opt-out, by the way.

I'm not opposed nor am I fearful. Between you and I, we can drop the whole improbable 'want, don't want' comparisons. We both know neither of us have a basis for those perspectives beyond personal opinion. While I may not be opposed, I certainly don't see a need, either. In games of this nature, opt-outs are clumsy band aids.

The reason opt-outs don't work in my view is because it cheapens / deadens the gaming environment. Consider, should we let dark elf players opt out of trading penalties? Should we let halfling players opt out of the encumbrance system. Yeah, I know - racial. Let's go a bit less on that side, then! Should we let players decide not to train in perception and opt out of needing to search for hidden doors and passages? Should we let empath players opt out of Red Rot?

My list can go on and on, and I'm sure you've a like list in mind. I really am not inviting a list comparison. ;) The only point I'm trying to make is this is a game of choice / consequence. 'Allow for all the choice but permit a path to no consequence' is simply not a viable solution, in my view.

>>Now, if the traps you mention always worked, that would be different. But they don't.

So suggest that be 'added'. And just like pick pocket success factors and detection factors would require some rework in a new scenario in my view, the trap success should be considered. 'Always work', though - no. How about 'mostly always'?

Part of the reason why the system was so polarizing was its success factor or infallibility. If it were to work like combat, smashing success should be possible, and agonizing misses should be possible. That goes for traps, as well. Why put in an improvement designed to do nothing more than put the success cliff entirely on the other side for a decade? Fair and balanced should work - shouldn't it?

By the way, I don't have and never have had a rogue, I haven't attempted to learn to min/max any pickpocket system or exploit it in the game, and I was just this week the 'victim' of a (friendly, and funny!) pick pocket attempt in Ice Mule. To those who infrequently score that gem or wand from my characters in my lapsing, doddering moments, congratulations. To those few thieves who responded in kind to my attempts to portray characters caught in these circumstances, thank you.

Doug
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 07:41 AM CST
>So suggest that be 'added'. And just like pick pocket success factors and detection factors would require some rework in a new scenario in my view, the trap success should be considered. 'Always work', though - no. How about 'mostly always'?

Traps do almost always work. If you decide to set up a thief to be bitten by a trap, its a virtual certainty. Its very rare that they actually manage to steal the trap instead.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 08:28 AM CST
"Maybe pay for protection?" -- Doug

"Youse guys is behind ahn yer pertection payments. Me'n Guido, here, is here ta remind youse guys ta keep ahn yer pertection payments. Guido likes remindin' people, don't ya, Guido?"

"Yeah, boss."

"Remember to pay us, or we'll be back in three days ta 'remind' youse again, see."
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 08:46 AM CST
Just as a gentle reminder, please don't make your posts about other commenters.

Ixix
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 09:58 AM CST
>l in my cloak

In the cloak you see: a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt, a thieves guild receipt and a pair of miniature jaws.

>Read receipt

Thank you for the uncut diamond. Please continue to leave your pockets open for our operatives. The Thieves Guild. P.S. A 10% discount on your monthly subscription may be obtained by presenting this receipt at Beldrins Security Services.

>l jaws
The jaws look vicious despite their miniature size. The trap is currently unset. There appears to be something in it.

>l in jaws
A mangled scrap of paper is caught in the jaws

>read paper
It appears to be an advertisement for something. Reading the mangled scrap you can just piece together, "This month's special offer at BS Services: 2 for 1 on GBH! Book now for guaranteed satisfaction!"
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 01:23 PM CST
>>The reason opt-outs don't work in my view is because it cheapens / deadens the gaming environment. Consider, should we let dark elf players opt out of trading penalties? Should we let halfling players opt out of the encumbrance system. Yeah, I know - racial. Let's go a bit less on that side, then! Should we let players decide not to train in perception and opt out of needing to search for hidden doors and passages? Should we let empath players opt out of Red Rot?

>>Doug

This is also the issue for me. It's a question of what kind of game do we want to be playing - do we want the occasional strife between characters? Pickpocketing was not the greatest way of creating it, but it definitely created it. When it worked, it opened up some unique opportunities for characters that might be otherwise hard to attain. Sorcerers could be scary, because they found that thief that stole something and Nightmare'd them. Young pickpockets would try to pick from an old rogue and find they had carelessly picked a very poor target - but this could easily develop into a mentor role. Or they picked an empath who would forever ban them from healing - at least until they were bribed with enough diamonds. Maybe you knew not to mess with that powerful wizard that 530'd off all of your spells after a failed pickpocketing attempt.

I'm sure many people have had bad experiences with pickpocketing and I'm not here to debate that. Role playing is a skill, and it takes time and willingness to develop that skill. Pickpocketing created an opportunity to flesh out a character in this specific way - what do you do to that pickpocket that you just caught? Are you merciful and forgiving, indifferent, or do you hold grudges? What type of reputation do you want your character to have? These dynamics provided a unique role for character expression.

Regarding the opt-out, anyone with even a cursory familiarity with pickpocketing (and being a pickpocket will drive this home like nothing else) will make you realize that it takes *very little* knowledge to make your character impervious to pickpocketing. The opt-out system, for all intents and purposes, already existed. Does it take some knowledge to avoid? Sure, but so does every other danger in the game. The only controversy in this system is that it's a danger created by other characters. I can understand why the GMs haven't taken steps to reintroduce it, but I also want to argue that we've lost something in the process that I think is worth discussing how to get back.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 02:16 PM CST
>>Have random NPC thieves stroll about town, stealing various items / silvers from anyone and everyone.

I hate this idea but if they targeted people who were afk(say they hadn't said or moved in 15 minutes) it would be more acceptable to me.

>Consider, should we let dark elf players opt out of trading penalties? Should we let halfling players opt out of the encumbrance system. Yeah, I know - racial. Let's go a bit less on that side, then! Should we let players decide not to train in perception and opt out of needing to search for hidden doors and passages? Should we let empath players opt out of Red Rot?

These are not the same things and are a false equivalency. It would be more likely if it was conflict driven actions. Theft makes the world alive is your point, gives an atmosphere of danger. So does murder, rapey whispers or any other number of random awful things we limit. People can avoid theft by closing containers and depositing silvers. People can avoid being randomly murdered by cowering in sanctuaries. It's all so much fun. I would hope as a last resort if they did bring in any of these pickpocket ideas they would add more tables in all the towns so you could just avoid the nonsense altogether.
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 05:34 PM CST

When I firsts started, younger characters were advised to leave a "few" coins in their pockets, so that the "navvers" and the pickpockets would not take the better things.

Clunk also made a habit of simply handing his coins over to Porcell when he walked into east tower.
That cut down on his chances of getting pickpocketed for some reason.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 05:56 PM CST
>>but if they targeted people who were afk

Hah. . . a whole new layer of potential disagreement, but yeah - why not? They qualify as 'anyone and everyone' too.

>>These are not the same things and are a false equivalency

In the abstract, any opt-out is an opt-out.

>>It would be more likely if it was conflict driven actions

Absolutely agree here (to better aligned equivalency, at least). I didn't because the Pandora's box is an ugly opening gambit. But since you brought them forth.

>>Theft makes the world alive is your point, gives an atmosphere of danger. So does murder, rapey whispers or any other number of random awful things we limit.

That's a slightly mischaracterized restatement of my view, but let's leave that for a bit. We do not limit the other actions by permitting a hard 'opt out'. Key point, they can still happen. Pandora's box is that they require GM time to bring to 'closure'. That's part of what brought us to this impasse in the first place, in my view.

>>People can avoid theft by closing containers and depositing silvers. People can avoid being randomly murdered by cowering in sanctuaries. It's all so much fun.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I understand what you're communicating here. Since that's exactly the situation we're in today, are you suggesting you're ok with it? Or is that a sarcastic 'much fun' comment, meaning you want to do away with these capabilities? I'm betting yes to the first, and no to the second, because. . .

>>I would hope as a last resort if they did bring in any of these pickpocket ideas they would add more tables in all the towns so you could just avoid the nonsense altogether.

You're right! I didn't address tables! How kind of you to bring that up. Why do we need more, though? I'm considering based on this view of the proposal that you (the player) essentially don't want to interact with anyone except your chosen few - said differently, you would 'opt out' of any other player interaction, if you could. Is that 'much fun' as you're characterizing it?

Not trying to be snarky or misleading here - I ask because fully half of my characters are loners - seeking solitude, not interacting beyond minimalistic necessary exchanges. A couple of them have been nominated as 'dead rude non-roleplaying characters who no doubt just script'. Yet a few of my characters (not the rest of the half, mind you) are very gregarious, seeking others, cutting in jokes and acting as a ham, or a straightman type, bartering services, etc., etc. I wouldn't have considered in an RP sense that a player would consistently view anything in the lands as 'nonsense' or 'necessary'. Choice. . .

At any rate - I'm at the point where I usually step back and ask for your solution. So far we have a spectrum (yadda, yadda, yadda - David's probably seen this more times than he wants to admit). We've anchored the spectrum between whole hog bring it on (nominally called the Crime position), and the no way jose don't fly under any banner (nominally called the remove the skill position). This proposal is probably closer to the Crime end of the spectrum. I'd say it's about 30% of the spectrum removed.

Now for the hard part - what would be your (general you) contribution to reshaping the remove the skill position, bringing it along the spectrum the other way? I'd like to see something proposed. Like I said - I don't pretend to have all the answers.

Doug

Doug
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 06:02 PM CST
>>I'm not opposed nor am I fearful. Between you and I, we can drop the whole improbable 'want, don't want' comparisons. We both know neither of us have a basis for those perspectives beyond personal opinion.

Oh, I agree with that, Doug. And I did not mean to imply fear specifically on your part. It was more of a general statement.

>The reason opt-outs don't work in my view is because it cheapens / deadens the gaming environment. Consider, should we let dark elf players opt out of trading penalties? Should we let halfling players opt out of the encumbrance system.

I understand the point, but I do not think these examples are the same thing. Those are environmental factors. Pickpocketing is a system which players force on other players and which allows those of lower level no way to respond when someone of higher level decides to pick on them. That's just frustrating. It is a system based on one player having fun at another's expense, whether the other person wants it to happen or not. I don't think that is at all the same as your other examples. Again, I do see your point, but I do not think the enjoyment of one player should come at the cost of taking away the enjoyment of another.

--David

Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 06:09 PM CST
>> Pickpocketing is a system which players force on other players and which allows those of lower level no way to respond when someone of higher level decides to pick on them.

The problem here is the justice system. Thinking about it realistically, what civilized town / society would continue to allow this situation to continue without addressing it (assuming it isn't the ones in charge that are doing the stealing). That's why I focused a lot of my suggestions around higher penalties / more teeth for the justice system. If players (generally speaking) feel that the punishment fits the crime, then they will most likely be open to a system which allows other players to play the villain (in this case, the thief). At present I would argue that most people do not feel the current justice system comes anywhere near close enough to support this however (my opinion).

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 06:12 PM CST
>Now for the hard part - what would be your (general you) contribution to reshaping the remove the skill position, bringing it along the spectrum the other way? I'd like to see something proposed

This was not directed at me, but I will take a shot at it. For me, there would have to be a real recourse so that any player who caught someone stealing could feel that the thief really did have to suffer meaningful consequences. I think some of us have suggested various things in that vein. Making it so that when you catch someone, your accusation is believed is one important start. So are more meaningful penalties. No, I do not mean the permanent loss of a hand, which I am not sure anyone was serious about. Nor do I really think a six month jail sentence would really fly. But a couple of hours in jail, at least, is not over the top. That would slow some thieves down. And making the thief make restitution for all items stolen from the victim would also be important. Right now, even thieves who are caught basically get away with what they have done. That is what would have to change for me.

--David

Re: Pickpocketing 01/04/2017 06:14 PM CST
>The problem here is the justice system. Thinking about it realistically, what civilized town / society would continue to allow this situation to continue without addressing it (assuming it isn't the ones in charge that are doing the stealing). That's why I focused a lot of my suggestions around higher penalties / more teeth for the justice system. If players (generally speaking) feel that the punishment fits the crime, then they will most likely be open to a system which allows other players to play the villain (in this case, the thief). At present I would argue that most people do not feel the current justice system comes anywhere near close enough to support this however (my opinion)-- Robert

Ha. And Robert posted this while I was writing my last one. Yes, I think this is a very major part of the issue. This is pretty much what I was saying.

--David