A trick to Swordsman? 11/16/2014 10:00 AM CST
I have a bounty for swordsmen in the Citadel. The past couple of days, I haven't seen too many of them. I think two. I can hunt from clear as a bell to must rest and never encounter one.

What have noticed is they appear when I am swarmed with other defenders of the Citadel. Are they "backup" for typical defenders and only appear when there is big fight?

Magarven the Mad
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/16/2014 10:25 AM CST
Oh, and this isn't a complaint. I am just curious about what makes them appear.

Another question about the swordsmen. Do they ever appear on the second floor? I have only noticed them on the first (always a surprise) and third.

Magarven the Mad
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/16/2014 12:00 PM CST
are you looking for them in the dungeon? that is where they should spawn

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/16/2014 04:57 PM CST
Swordsmen will only spawn if there is someone in the dungeon. They can get to other levels but you'll never see them if you stay on the upper levels unless there is someone else in the dungeon.

You should find they are plentiful in the dungeon.
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/16/2014 10:08 PM CST
Basement? I didn't know there was a basement. How do I get there?

Magarven the Mad
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/17/2014 02:28 AM CST
theres a door leading to some stairs on the entry level.around the middleish hall?

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/18/2014 11:42 PM CST
Since everyone else has directed you to the right location to find them, may I add another trick: use Pain or Focused Implosion. Besides implosion, they don't crit, and one dangerous one I killed once had about 620 HP.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/19/2014 05:10 AM CST
> they don't crit

Smite works well on occasional one that wanders into the entry level, but its useless in the dungeon because the dungeon is crowded and UAC is too slow for the critter density there.
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/19/2014 07:36 AM CST
Interesting info on Smite! Not sure if that was even released when Kaldonis still hunted the Cit, nor that a sorcerer like Magarven is likely to care.

Still, good to know in general. Those buggers are annoying to kill. At least until I was level 68 refusing to leave River's Rest and imploding them all single-shot on sight as soon as they spawned. It was always great for me when another person came into the basement, but probably bad for them if they had a swordsman task!

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/19/2014 08:32 AM CST
I might try smite for fun. I have a few scrolls with cleric spells on them. 303 and 307 is very helpful. I'll have to look to see if I have 302.

I hate the no crit thing, but I mostly take them down with Pain.

Magarven the Mad
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/19/2014 08:44 AM CST
I've been in the citadel with 4 characters. 2 with fu, which worked a whole lot better than UAC because you didn't have to keep going back to the beginning of the setup up sequence each time a swarm arrived to save your target. 1 with UAC who left for Teras on the next chronomage after finding that the effect of having to redo the setup sequence every time was to drop the kill rate to about 1 per 5 minutes. 1 cleric who got to the entry level but I stopped playing when all his friends logged out and never came back as a result of the occupation.
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/19/2014 08:52 AM CST
He means Kai's smite, the Voln/UAC ability. That makes non-corp undead corporeal and thus able to be crit killes. The duration is based off of tier, though, so not many will find it usuable.
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/19/2014 09:05 AM CST
Oh. I tried that once. It never works for me, even when I knock stuff down first. No brawling training.

I always thought that Volnish powers should give a singular attack bonus for punch and kick. More for RP purposes than actual offense, sort of like rubbing a blue crystal and swinging a weapon when you aren't trained for it.

Magarven the Mad
Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/19/2014 11:55 AM CST
yeah the citadel was awesome for me, well before uac turned to complete crap if you are using a shield and heavy armor. I really miss voln fu.

Fyrentennimar

Re: A trick to Swordsman? 11/19/2014 09:06 PM CST
Not sure I used 704 offensively much at all, but you could definitely experiment with that on swordsmen. I'm sure I ever tried it on them, but can't really recall. Their TD was also a bit high for me to easily plow them over, hence FI.