Since when do swamp hags know Ranger Base spells?! 09/11/2014 04:47 AM CDT
I definitely hunted my fair share of Oteska's Haven with Kaldonis. I don't recall at that time that swamp hags knew spells from the Ranger Base, but owing to knowing Corrupt Essence and Major Elemental Wave's tendency to kill pures, I wouldn't have the best statistics from that experience. And I mentioned it to my wife (who also hunts there a lot) and she was like whaaaaat and suggested maybe I can't read the screen and it was from greater bog trolls.

KP definitely has no record of them knowing Call Swarm or Tangle Weed, but I do! Is this a long-unknown "feature" of swamp hags or some more recent accident? I mean, I can't decide if it's better or worse they have added these two spells to their arsenal which includes already Tremors, Major Elemental Wave, Call Wind, and Sandstorm. (Sorry in advance for including my lich alias, but I didn't really want to piece it together, and better to show the exact log so you can be sure there were no trolls around at any of these times.)

A swamp hag turns and focuses her coal-black eyes on you!
A faint buzzing sound begins then grows louder as a small dark cloud forms and begins to move about wildly!
The swarm attacks you savagely, and the insects' venom courses through your veins!

[Oteska's Haven, Shack Rooftop]
The rooftop is surprisingly sturdy. A low parapet lines the roof facing the muddy walkway between the buildings. The light from the sun barely filters through the thick fog. From this vantage point the rooftops of the other wooden buildings are clearly visible through the fog. You also see a swamp hag.
Obvious paths: down
>hands
...wait 1 seconds.
>stow l
[exec1]>stance def
You put a heavy quartz orb in your storm blue cloak.
--- Lich: exec1 has exited.
--- Lich: exec1 active.
[exec1]>stance off
>;e waitrt?; multifput "stance off","attack "; sleep 1; waitrt?; fput "stance def"
You are now in a defensive stance.
>attack
You are now in an offensive stance.
You swing a superior steel flail at a swamp hag!
AS: +307 vs DS: +280 with AvD: +46 + d100 roll: +15 = +88
A clean miss.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>look
A faint buzzing sound begins then grows louder as a small dark cloud forms and begins to move about wildly!
The swarm is unable to make an attack on you.
[Oteska's Haven, Shack Rooftop]
The rooftop is surprisingly sturdy. A low parapet lines the roof facing the muddy walkway between the buildings. The light from the sun barely filters through the thick fog. From this vantage point the rooftops of the other wooden buildings are clearly visible through the fog. You also see an insect swarm and a swamp hag.
Obvious paths: down

[Dismal Slough, Oteska's Haven]
A deep layer of mud covers what must have once been a dirt walkway leading between a collection of decrepit shanties and shacks constructed from planks of weathered wood. The doorways to the structures have all been battered and broken. Fog drifts among the structures like the ghosts. You also see a swamp hag that appears stunned and a greater moor wight.
Obvious paths: north, east, south, southwest
--- Lich: exec1 active.
[exec1]>stance off
>;e waitrt?; multifput "stance off","attack hag"; sleep 1; waitrt?; fput "stance def"
[exec1]>attack hag
You are now in an offensive stance.
You swing a superior steel flail at a swamp hag!
AS: +307 vs DS: +193 with AvD: +46 + d100 roll: +62 = +222
... and hit for 84 points of damage!
Knocked sideways several feet by blow to back.
The swamp hag is stunned!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>l
A thorny vine suddenly sprouts from the ground and begins to thrash about violently!
The thorny vine lashes out at you, but is unable to grasp you.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Since when do swamp hags know Ranger Base spells?! 09/18/2014 12:17 AM CDT
If I hadn't seen the logs, I'd question if you weren't confused by a troll in the area. I've never seen hags cast either of these spells and I've brought three characters through that area now. Not sure why anyone would intentionally add them to their repertoire though, they were already plenty deadly for their level without them... not to mention the trolls in there already cast those spells.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Since when do swamp hags know Ranger Base spells?! 09/18/2014 12:59 AM CDT
Trust me, I had to check the logs for the double-take too!!

There's been a couple oddities near RR in recent months (area behind the alter at Niima's was reverted for a short time, a ship got deleted) so I tend to think this is some kind of bug as well the got injected to their code.

The fact that they are now casting these spells would seem a certainty. My wife wondered if it was more than a single hag that was doing it, and it is. If they knew Living Spell I'd suspect they stole the spell from a troll but they don't seem to (and it's a MjS); they also have not yet been seen to cast wight spells (geez, let's not give them Haste and Dispel on top of all this!).

I think it's a bug. Wanted to see if anyone had previously seen this behavior first (and so far, no one recalls this ever happening). I'll wait until I see it again, and go ahead and do a BUG in game.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."