Tomb Troll SBash? 04/25/2014 06:01 PM CDT
Did the Tomb Troll Shield Bash get an update? Normally I simply walk past them and they don't even try it much, but today I had one go nuts on me.

A tomb troll lunges forward at you with her wooden shield and attempts a shield bash!
[Roll result: 103 (open d100: 16)]
A tomb troll lashes at you with a feeble shield bash and you lose your footing.
... 10 points of damage!
Neck vertebrae snap.
You are stunned for 1 round!
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>tell eye go w
You are still stunned.
>w
You are still stunned.
>
A flesh golem lifts its fat fleshy foot and tries to stomp on you!
AS: +296 vs DS: +355 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +14 = -6
A clean miss.
>stand
You are still stunned.
>stand
You stand back up.
>
A tomb troll lunges forward at you with her wooden shield and attempts a shield bash!
[Roll result: 103 (open d100: 16)]
A tomb troll lashes at you with a feeble shield bash and you lose your footing.
... 5 points of damage!
Blow leaves an imprint on your chest!

[Roll result: 107 (open d100: 20)]
A tomb troll lashes at you with a weak shield bash, but you manage to partially avoid it.
... 3 points of damage!
Jarring blow to your back.

I was hit three times in rapid succession, mostly because I thought I forgot to take out my runestaff or spell myself up. I had both spells and staff. My cloak must have been on vacation too. grr...

Magarven the Mad
Re: Tomb Troll SBash? 04/25/2014 09:08 PM CDT
I dunno if they got an update, but that used to frequently kill Kaldonis even walking through the room. I finally resorted to always peering and quaking any trolls I saw before I walked past them.

daid (player of the temporally-challenged Harvest-Moon clan)

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Tomb Troll SBash? 04/26/2014 01:53 AM CDT
I think you've been having good luck until this point where you had a moment of really bad luck. They usually won't do it three times in a row, though it is something they make use of quite frequently, as Daid pointed out.

<I was hit three times in rapid succession, mostly because I thought I forgot to take out my runestaff or spell myself up. I had both spells and staff. My cloak must have been on vacation too. grr...>

Being a maneuver, there aren't many spells that would help you against Shield Bash... Phase is prolly the only sorcerer spell that would help since you can use it to reduce yer encumbrance (I'm assuming yer a sorcerer since you mentioned cloak of shadows). I'm also pretty sure 712 only flares against actual attacks, not maneuvers.

If shield bash is a problem for you, the best things for a sorcerer to do is to make sure you're not encumbered (locker anything you don't absolutely need and phase as much of the loot you find as possible), make sure you're fully trained for whatever armor you're wearing, and disable the trolls with 706 as soon as you see them. If you're still having trouble, you might want to find a ranger to cast Mobility (618) on you before going to the Keep.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Tomb Troll SBash? 04/26/2014 04:28 AM CDT
Tomb trolls I find can be dealt with by preventing them doing anything. If they never get a chance to act, they never get a chance to shield bash.

If you can't stop a critter with shield bash from acting, you either need to get on the floor and crawl (shield bash can't be used against targets on the floor) or get some form of crush protection on your head. (The killer crit from sbash is crush to the head.)
Re: Tomb Troll SBash? 04/26/2014 05:52 AM CDT
<(The killer crit from sbash is crush to the head.)>

The shields tomb trolls use are spiked, so eye crits are quite deadly too.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Tomb Troll SBash? 04/26/2014 07:06 AM CDT
Aren't spikes location random though? So for a spike its got to roll a high crit and then roll the eye location, while for the bash, once its rolled a high crit it is always the head that gets crushed.
Re: Tomb Troll SBash? 04/26/2014 10:05 AM CDT
It must be the good luck/bad luck thing plus user error. These guys are 6 levels under me. I normally don't even hunt in the keep because of this. The only reason I came back was for a collect eyeball task.

Come to think of it, I've been away for a while and my old method of hunt tomb trolls was to use nightmare to tie them up until I could blast them with Fire Spirit. I stopped doing this because I accidentally cursed myself - I was trying to figure out the new mechanic for Nightmare and then found out how much fun the citadel is. I bet the nightmare was stopping the shield bashes.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Tomb Troll SBash? 04/28/2014 12:45 AM CDT
>you either need to get on the floor and crawl

I can't believe I didn't just crawl around the basement of the Marsh Keep.

No, seriously.

daid (player of the temporally-challenged Harvest-Moon clan)

>Out of no where, a ki-lin gallops in.
Re: Tomb Troll SBash? 04/28/2014 06:02 AM CDT
<I can't believe I didn't just crawl around the basement of the Marsh Keep.>

My sorcerer hunted krolvin warfarers in the Sea Caves laying on his back when he was like level to them. Of course, that was before they were updated to BCS and e-wave was always the first attack they did after rezzing. Once I realized they couldn't beat my DS in guarded even when I was laying down, I just started laying down the second I saw one to avoid the RT from the e-wave and started casting away.

I'm not sure I'd do it in the Keep though, the flesh golem's breath was always a much bigger problem for me when I hunted there and it seems like laying down would make it harder to dodge that.

Starchitin