Make "shell armor" great again? 09/06/2017 01:16 AM CDT
So I have in my position an old piece of armor called shell armor. When wearing it, you can turn a knob that puts you in some sort of private secret room isolated from the rest of the lands:

Name: some striated conch shell armor
Summary: Turtle shell brig, +20, can be further enchanted and padded. Can turn a knob to enter a secret room (with no roundtime) in which you are invulnerable.
Loresong: Your surroundings blur outward in a rolling wave from your center. Darkness settles around you and the smell of dampness pervades your senses as you become aware of your new surroundings. Water drips in runnels down the sides of bare stone walls and the smell of charcoal and sulphur floats on the air. Flickering torches lie ensconced in braziers that stand sentry before a heavy oak door. Penetrating the door is a small square window bisected by solid steel bars. Stretching up, you are able to peer through the window at the scene in the room beyond. At odds with the exterior hall, the room beyond is neat and dry, boxes and crates stacked to one side, magic paraphenalia and workbenches on the other. Working in a steady and precise manner are a number of dwarfs, each totally focused on the shell-like objects that lie before them on the benches. The scene fades and momentarily you get the impression of the same room but dark and disordered. Finally exhausted from your effort, you blink your eyes and return to the present.

Apparently there are leather, plate and possibly other variants of this armor that were created, but I don't know who owns the others. (On a side note, I'd love to trade mine for the leather). The reason I'm posting here though is that it seems over the years the armor actually works in fewer and fewer places. That is, by "not working" I mean when you turn the knob, it won't take you to the secret room. It no longer works in most nodes in most towns, and doesn't work in Reim, the Arena, or any of the newer capped hunting grounds (or so I'm told, I'm not capped yet). I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance a GM could adopt these armors and perhaps make them work in all these places again? They are super-cool unique items and it would be a shame to see them "bit-rot" into oblivion.

-- Ponclast
Re: Make "shell armor" great again? 02/08/2018 12:06 AM CST
>>It no longer works in most nodes in most towns, and doesn't work in Reim, the Arena, or any of the newer capped hunting grounds (or so I'm told, I'm not capped yet). I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance a GM could adopt these armors and perhaps make them work in all these places again? They are super-cool unique items and it would be a shame to see them "bit-rot" into oblivion.

The only parameters the shell armor looks for is if a player can log into that room. Could you give some examples of rooms it's not working with? Any room you can log into that isn't a special room in some way should be fair game.

As for the Duskruin Arena, that's by design.

(Yes, this is a necro bump.)

Wyrom, PM
Re: Make "shell armor" great again? 02/08/2018 10:17 AM CST
Having "shell armor" be a High End Scrip Shop coupon to take your existing Whizbang Ultra Armor [of Doom!] and turn it into a cute little shell room would be pretty cool...

(Robert loves me some idea of shell armor. Never had a chance to get any of the extant ones, but I think they're a cool concept.)

Even better, having different kinds of rooms that are fundamentally the same script (so my Flower-Power Paladin could have tree-themed armor, than turns into an acorn on the ground) would be even MORE cool....

So, with that in mind: is the AsG morphing armor something that is, or is not, compatible to add shell capabilities to? <grin>
Re: Make "shell armor" great again? 02/08/2018 06:25 PM CST

Way back when, we had the phrase 'turtling' for when a character had his shield and blade out and was in stance defensive.

When shell armor first came out, I thought, some GM is making a punny.

When 'shield tortoise'
came out, I again thought some GM was making a punny.

What we need is a triple shield trained character with shell armor and fully trained in tortoise stance.
His name would be 'Clamup'.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Make "shell armor" great again? 02/08/2018 06:27 PM CST
The shell armor isn't very up to date when we look at code. They are made in a way where there can only be one of each, even if one is lost to locker attrition.

If shell armor were to ever get a facelift, it would need to be a whole new script and system.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Make "shell armor" great again? 02/08/2018 09:34 PM CST
Your kind offer is accepted!

When will we see them?!? :)
Re: Make "shell armor" great again? 03/24/2018 10:21 PM CDT
Hey Wyrom, thanks for responding. There are indeed many rooms you can log into but the armor won't work in, for example, Small Park:

[Town Square, Small Park]
A small, shaded park fills an old vacant lot behind a row of buildings, the bright lamplight from the square filtering through the passage to the north to illuminate the area with a soft glow. A weatherworn grey marble statue of a stocky human in pioneer's clothing overlooks the park, his stone hat encrusted by the gifts of decades of passing birds and his right hand half-upraised as if it once held some now-missing object. You also see a golden brown fox that is sleeping, a bright yellow building and some ornate wrought iron benches.
Also here: xxx
Obvious paths: north, south, west
>
>turn knob
Maybe you need to go elsewhere, it sure doesn't seem to work here.
>
> inv
You are wearing xxx, some striated conch shell armor,

Another non-working room I immediately found is [Helga's, Pub Room], and Voln Courtyard in the Landing.
Re: Make "shell armor" great again? 03/24/2018 10:32 PM CDT
Those are all nodes (super nodes actually). Probably not a coincidence.

Try other ones:

https://gswiki.play.net/Super_node
Re: Make "shell armor" great again? 03/25/2018 05:51 PM CDT
Some super nodes do work though, like GC and North Market, so it's not as simple as that. :(