So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/13/2017 07:37 AM CDT
Is it common knowledge about this and I'm just slow to catch up or is it something that most people don't know about or have even noticed?

Out hunting down a few gems for a bounty and got loaded down with stuff. I tend to bundle all my skins since bundled skins sells for just a little more over selling each on individually. I noticed my encumbrance adjusted after bundling the skins. I didn't drop any other items or sell any items off before I bundled.

>enc
The weight you are carrying is giving you a backache. Perhaps you should unload some things soon before you actually have to move fast.
>.bundle hoof
[Script bundle is running, Esc to cancel, Shift-Esc to pause]
>get hoof from my backpack
>
You remove a minotaur hoof from in your spidersilk backpack.
>bundle
You carefully arrange your two minotaur hoofs into a neat bundle.
>bundle
You carefully add your minotaur hoof to your bundle of minotaur hoofs.
>bundle
>bundle
>bundle
>bundle
>
>bundle
>bundle
>bundle
>bundle
Your bundle would be too large if you added that much to it.
>stow right longcoat
You put a bundle of minotaur hoofs in your ivory velvet longcoat.
>bundle
You carefully arrange your two minotaur hoofs into a neat bundle.
>bundle
>
>bundle
Get what?
>stow right longcoat
You put a bundle of minotaur hoofs in your ivory velvet longcoat.
Get what?
>stow right longcoat
You are not holding anything in your right hand.
>put hoof in my longcoat
[script done]
>
I could not find what you were referring to.
>enc
Your shoulders are beginning to sag under the weight of your gear, and your reactions are not very fast. Time to unload, perhaps?

-Drumpel
Re: So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/13/2017 08:27 AM CDT
It is an accurate representation, inasmuch as something that is orderly and well-packed is less cumbersome than a handful of chaotic any-which-ways.

(But no, I didn't realize that, either. :)
Re: So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/13/2017 12:33 PM CDT
This is true for ammo (bolts) as well.

Chad, player of a few
Re: So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/13/2017 12:43 PM CDT
Also true of jarring items, if I remember correctly.
Re: So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/17/2017 04:09 PM CDT
Its a rounding/truncating thing. Items can be 0.1 lb (e.g. gems/ammo), 0.5 lb (e.g. most skins) or integer lbs.

So 1 skin is 0.5 lb, a bundle of 2 skins is 1 lb, a bundle of 3 skins should be 1.5 lb but the game doesn't allow that so it gets rounded/truncated with a resulting weight change on bundling.

>Also true of jarring items, if I remember correctly.

Quite often the rounding results in a weight increase. I often find a take a jar and gems out of a full container, put the gems in the jar, and then find the jar won't go back.

There are also some shop herbs that cause healing herbs (0.5lbs for a full bundle of 50 bites) to turn into standard foraged items (0.5lb per bite=25lb for a full bundle) on bundling, which can cause a huge weight increase if you accidentally bundle the wrong thing.
Re: So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/17/2017 05:54 PM CDT
>enc
Your load is a bit heavy, but you feel confident that the weight is not affecting your actions very much.

>look in my pouch
In the silk gem pouch:
Gems [182]: a shard of tigerfang crystal, some golden rhimar-bloom (6), a clear blue gem (6), a star ruby (4), a piece of brown jade, some purple mithril-bloom (2), a brown zircon (2), a piece of green jade (3), a large yellow diamond (4), an uncut diamond (10), a piece of white jade (2), a large black pearl (2), a blue sapphire (5), a white opal (5), an uncut emerald (8), a green garnet (5), a large pink pearl, a clear zircon, a star sapphire (3), a green tourmaline (3), some polished red coral (5), a bright chrysoberyl gem (3), a piece of rose quartz (2), a pink topaz (2), an uncut ruby (10), a pink sapphire (3), a small grey pearl, a black tourmaline (3), a light pink morganite stone (3), a deep purple amethyst (3), a pink spinel, a pink tourmaline (4), a yellow sapphire (3), a star diopside, a pink rhodochrosite stone (4), a green alexandrite stone, a piece of polished ivory (3), a red spinel (2), a blue spinel (2), a piece of citrine quartz (2), a clear tourmaline (3), a tiny black pearl, a large white pearl (2), a large grey pearl (3), a green sapphire (3), some blue lapis lazuli, a smoky topaz (3), a green aventurine stone (3), a small white pearl (2), some polished pink coral, a radiant opalescent thunderstone, an aquamarine gem (3), a black opal (3), a quartz crystal (2), a green malachite stone (2), a tiny pink pearl, a turquoise stone, a violet sapphire, a golden topaz, a clear sapphire (2), a fire opal (2), a piece of golden amber (3), a blue tourmaline, a violet spinel, a medium grey pearl, a tiny grey pearl, a piece of carnelian quartz, a medium pink pearl
Total items: 182

>rummage in cape ingredient uncut emer
You rummage through the angora cape and remove an opalescent glass jar containing uncut emeralds.

>get uncut emer
You remove an uncut emerald from in your angora cape.

>put emer in my jar
You add an uncut emerald to the contents of the glass jar.

>enc
You adjust your gear comfortably and feel satisfied that you are not encumbered enough to notice.

>shake jar
You give your jar a hard shake, causing an uncut emerald to fall into your left hand.

>enc
Your load is a bit heavy, but you feel confident that the weight is not affecting your actions very much.
Re: So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/17/2017 05:57 PM CDT
Just noticed that apparently I had an emerald in my cape in addition to the ones in my pouch, but it turned out the same either way.
Re: So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/18/2017 07:19 AM CDT
This will be the normal result from a random test. (90% a weight increase of 0.1 lb, 10% a weight decrease of 0.9 lb), OTOH if you take 9 gems out, 90% of the time you will be lighter.

If your jar weighs 3lbs before you take the gem out, afterwards it will weigh either 2lbs (10%) of the time, or 3lbs (90%) of the time (assuming the number of gems in it is random amongst those that result in a 3lb jar)

The weight on you either goes up by 0.1 lb (because the jar still weighs 3lb, and you added a 0.1 lb gem to your inventory), or down by 0.9 lb (because the jar went from 3 to 2 lb and you added a 0.1 lb gem).

Keep taking gems out of the jar and your weight will drop back to unencumbered at the point you take the gem out that drops the jar weight by 1 lb.

In practice jars aren't large enough to get random results, and whether you tend to notice increases or decreases on filling/emptying will depend on how you manage your jars.

If you combine a fractional weight item (skin,gem) with an integer weight item (jar with some gems already in it, bundle of skins) your total encumberance has to change, because the result of the combination has to have an integer weight. Whether it goes up or down depends on the exact circumstances, but it has to change.
Re: So, bundling skins reduces their weight? 07/18/2017 01:05 PM CDT
Ah, all of that makes sense. Thank you for the thorough explanation!