Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 10:42 AM CDT
It is now possible for Resist Nature (620) to work on heavy armors (chain and plate), but it requires a new special potion. The herbalist who crafts the other potions will craft the new potion if you bring them a luminescent indigo mushroom, which can be found randomly on high luck rolls when foraging for other items. It is a rare and limited drop. The luminescent indigo mushroom potion must then be poured onto the armor before the other normal potion is applied. When Resist Nature is applied to heavy armors, it is done so at half of the normal effectiveness.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 10:58 AM CDT
This is a very good change. Thank you for that. Those worried on the rare find it was discussed in length on discord and to me feels fair enough.
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 01:15 PM CDT

Can any profession find these while foraging or only rangers?
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 01:45 PM CDT
SANDERSCH
Can any profession find these while foraging or only rangers?

Anyone can find them.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 02:08 PM CDT

How rare is rare? Are we looking at the fancy confluence cores for the Mage recharging potion rare? Or more like the essenences of greater xx rare?
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 02:15 PM CDT
ROBERTSM8
How rare is rare? Are we looking at the fancy confluence cores for the Mage recharging potion rare? Or more like the essenences of greater xx rare?

Up to 1 per day can drop, resets at a random time, and can be found in any location where a normal forageable could be found, so I would consider it more common than both of those. As always, initial demand will outpace supply.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 02:18 PM CDT
Thanks Estild!
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 05:34 PM CDT

Is that once per day across Elanthia or once per day per person?
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/02/2018 07:50 PM CDT

Per instance...not person. So 1 day prime 1 day plat.
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/03/2018 02:41 AM CDT
This is really awesome, thanks so much for making this happen!
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/03/2018 07:39 AM CDT
I appreciate the work and effort it took to get this to work with the heavier armor. I would only ask if perhaps the drop rate of the mushroom could be revisited. Reducing the effectiveness by 50% seems like a reasonable trade off but the drop rate just seems bad to me. In the next year there will be 365 total mushroom drops with most likely (complete guess and ballpark number) 20% of those that are found either thrown away or for a lack of a better term "disappear" since it's dropped randomly due to a luck roll.

Really good update though and its very nice to know Ranger spells are still being looked at for updates. Just the drop rate would be nice if it was increased so it can have a broader appeal and stronger use cases.

Thanks Estild!
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/12/2018 01:32 AM CDT

So i finally got my hands on one of these Indigo Mushroom and when i gave it to the herbalist to prepare the potion he says "Hmmm. That's not something I can use for a potion, sorry." How does one go about ordering the new potion?
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/12/2018 01:19 PM CDT

Its not the herbalist but little huts. If you are in the landing its on the way to darkstone. If you are in Mule its near the west gate.
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/12/2018 08:00 PM CDT

You carefully survey your surroundings and guess that your current location is Kharam-Dzu or somewhere close to it.
>ask herbalist about mushroom potion
The elderly herbalist nods and says, "The luminescent indigo mushroom is very rare and powerful. When properly prepared, it can be used before the other types of potions to allow them to work on heavier or metal armor."
>get indigo mush
You remove a luminescent indigo mushroom from in your black silk gem pouch.
>give indigo mushroom to herbalist
>
You offer indigo mushroom to the elderly herbalist.
The elderly herbalist furrows his brow and says, "Hmmm. That's not something I can use for a potion, sorry." I am at the shack where you order the potions to apply ranger resistance on teras.
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/19/2018 07:20 PM CDT
I'm having the same issue:

>give herb
You offer indigo mushroom to the elderly herbalist.
The elderly herbalist furrows his brow and says, "Hmmm. That's not something I can use for a potion, sorry."

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/20/2018 09:42 AM CDT
Looks like there may be an issue. Can one of you BUGITEM your mushroom so I can review it?

GameMaster Estild
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/20/2018 12:57 PM CDT
I found and fixed the issue. If you have an existing mushroom, just LOOK at it and it'll correct it. For any new mushrooms found after this moment, that won't be necessary.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/20/2018 09:48 PM CDT
Thanks!

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/21/2018 04:42 PM CDT
Take note: When using the luminescent indigo mushroom potion, there is only a 5-min duration to complete the cast. Make sure all of the potions are ready in advance -- and that none have gone stale ... Thanks, Estild, for replacing my mushroom when I ran afoul of that issue. Unlike with 620 itself, which will remain inactive on the armor for quite awhile (indefinitely?) until the sealing cast, you cannot wait for the herbalist to make you extra potions if you run out when you're using the mushroom potion.

On the upside, it works like a charm:

You gesture at some leather-backed mail traced with veniom vines.
A vibrant white aura surrounds the leather-backed mail, pulsing softly in time with each beat of your heart. The mail seems to grow more rigid in your hands, and you can sense a change in its metallic makeup. The mail begins to feel as solid as it did before you began the process, and soon the aura subsides.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>assess mai
You assess the mail for structural weaknesses and strengths.

Careful examination indicates the leather-backed mail has a base strength of 74 and a base durability of 525. You also determine the current integrity of the leather-backed mail to be at 100.0%.
You examine the leather-backed mail closely, lightly running your fingers over the material.
You sense that the mail is imbued with the magic of nature, and your fingertips detect the slightest presence of warmth along the surface of the mail. The imbued magic in the mail seems to offer a very good amount of resistance to its targeted element. The strength of the magic's aura suggests that the resistance could falter after a great number of strikes. You also sense that this mail was imbued with resistance by Nuadjha.

35% fire resistance on my hauberk!

Thanks again for the update, Estild.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/22/2018 10:08 AM CDT

Is there a way to perform a freshness check on your potions?
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/22/2018 12:26 PM CDT
ARCHSENEX
Is there a way to perform a freshness check on your potions?

I just added some messaging when you MEASURE one of the potions. It will only show up on expired potions.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 08/24/2018 09:08 AM CDT
Thanks!

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 09/03/2018 08:57 AM CDT

I know there are some rangers who appreciate this change, but I feel I would be doing the profession a grave injustice if I didn't offer some counter criticism on the matter. I am concerned that this was a desired change driven by a select few individuals who are not motivated by anything that realistically makes sense for what was already canon for rangers. Personally, it's practically an insult to me. You are making an already absurd armor class more absurd. The potential for 47.5% resistance to plate is insane, temp or not, rare mushroom or not. I don't want to get into how aggrevating the mushroom thing is either. There is nothing a sorcerer or mage has to do so ridiculously in order to add PERMANENT properties to an item. After ages of neglect, this is what was done? I CAN appreciate the work that must have gone into this, Estild. I simply think it could have been better spent. A 23.75% MAX permanent resistance (max enhanced) on perviously existing parameters would have shown some real love to the prof. Not with some 1 time per day drop either. There's already a system in place, just make the potion require something that takes time, not rarity - like an infused spirit pool (since rangers are all natural and spiritual) that works similar to a mage's mana pool or a sorcs necro pool. They don't have to do anything besides hunt (or for mages just get other exp), invest in lores, and be patient (the time factor). Why would a ranger need to find all the Dragon Balls to make 1 armor have temp!?

I don't believe I am the only player who feels this way, but I am one who will willingly suffer any potential backlash for voicing my disapproval. Wyrom nailed it at the previous Con in regards to WPS when he mentioned how so many players simply don't value the temp properties, no matter how long they last. It's a pursuit of perfection thing. A finally being done thing. Maybe even akin to impractically owning a vehicle when it makes more sense to lease one. I will spend more, wear out, and be stuck with what I own rather than continue leasing something I do not.

I would disagree with the sentiment that something is better than nothing, because to me, the larger picture suggests this change has done more harm than good to the principles of balance. Balance is the reason I identified with a ranger character in the first place. Nature is perhaps the best example we have of balance. Still, I also realize what's done is done. It's not going anywhere now. As I mentioned above, I really do appreciate the time spent on this, so thank you for that. I would still lobby for something permanent...for warrior fittings too, again, at a much reduced amount and with a lot more TIME involved work that's not, instead, some scavenger hunt for the golden fleece.

-Arshwikk
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 09/04/2018 01:21 PM CDT
<Wyrom nailed it at the previous Con in regards to WPS when he mentioned how so many players simply don't value the temp properties, no matter how long they last.>

There should be a distinction made between weapons/armor found in as loot or in EG/DR with temp properties (what I assume Wyrom was talking about) and temp properties from player abilities (630, 411, warrior fittings, etc). The later are sought out by some because they can be changed as the player moves to new hunting areas, the former are generally not as attractive because once they wear off you can't replace them.

<I don't want to get into how aggrevating the mushroom thing is either. There is nothing a sorcerer or mage has to do so ridiculously in order to add PERMANENT properties to an item.>

This is the only thing that's kept me from complaining about 620 being able to be put on metal armors. I always thought that certain professions should be encouraged to stay in the lower ASG armors (rogues, rangers) while others should be encouraged towards the higher ASG (warriors, paladins).... rather then the heavier armors being the goal across the board (seriously, sneaking around in chain or plate makes zero sense). This way it makes it possible for the squeaky wheels to get what they want while not making it something everyone will have all the time.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 09/04/2018 02:56 PM CDT
If the temporary benefits on found items existed as EITHER
- something that you could remove from that item and apply to what you actually use,
OR
- just the additive (so, "no armor" to go with that temp padding you just found... just the "temp padding" certificate to take to the NPC in town)...

...then a great many more of these temporary additives would be used by this Dwarf's character.

I don't bother putting temporary things on my gear, because they're just going to wear out.

I don't bother keeping temporarily boosted gear, because they're just going to wear out.

But if I could take that "temp slash protection" and apply it to my existing armor, then when it wears out slap the "temp puncture protection" that I just found the other day onto it now instead... I'd be more likely to use them.

Turn each of the temp bonuses (Puncture/Krush/Slash protection, padding of either type, elemental flare resistances, TD boosts, whatever) into a trinket that can be done to relevant items (armor, shields, accessories) and I can keep & use them all, rather than selling them all.
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 09/05/2018 08:49 PM CDT
It sounded to me like the issue isn't so much being able to use 620 on metal armor, but rather that heavy armor has substantial advantages with relatively few weaknesses.
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 09/06/2018 09:53 AM CDT
Most of which relate back to the direct tie between "how much damage do you do" and "how bad is the crit", which is why sucky weapons ALL suck to the degree that they do (never do enough damage, to do a decent crit).

This is a substantial flaw in the deICEd combat rules, with no solution pending that I've ever heard of.
Re: Resist Nature (620) on Heavy Armors 09/07/2018 04:12 PM CDT
Estild,

Would it be possible to code the mushroom potions not to work on armors that will not take 620? I've unfortunately wasted two mushrooms now in order to test armors that wouldn't take the spell. Thanks much!

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox/