combining 601 and 611 01/17/2017 01:11 AM CST
I would like 601 to get an open cast version at 11 ranks so that these two spells can be finally combined. Why you ask?

Well in the shields folder someone was asking for Rangers and Bards to get some SHIELD use abilities in 2017. 1009 actually does mimic Shield swiftness except 1009 is much better. So this idea popped into my head.

611 Bramblearm/Arm of thorns (come up with a name if you like the idea)

The spell would create a buckler and with enough ranks/lores a medium shield that the ranger could use. What abilities would it give? I leave it to you rangers, but just looking at the list of what rogues get that seem to be in ranger realm of influence/abilities.

Swiftness, Brawler, Deflect elements just glancing at the list are all prime candidates.

Through Lores you could even have different types of rangers, Brawler for Summoning lore and Swiftness for Blessing lore. Deflect Elements could be a spell rank thing.

Anyway late night thinking.

GBB
Re: combining 601 and 611 01/18/2017 05:02 AM CST

Someone with more shield knowledge let me know, but I believe a Medium shield would actually reduce DS and maneuvering for most rangers since most of our defense is dodge based. Would a Buckler be more appropriate?

Aurach
Re: combining 601 and 611 01/18/2017 01:03 PM CST

That's why shield swiftness would come in handy cause you would get the dodge from a buckler and the shield DS from the medium. This is what sonic shield does. The reason I added rank based elemental protection is cause I didn't want to copy 1009 and give it a ranger flavor.

The spell lists tell us that Shield use is not something that they want to encourage rangers to do because of its omission. Just like the list tells us that it encourages bards and paladins to learn shield use as not using them would leave both with no need to have 1609 or 1009. If "fixing" this is something GM's want to do then giving rangers a spell that would encourage shield use and mimic SHIELD maneuvers in some way is par for the course. What way exactly? Doesn't have to be my way. I am just suggesting three I felt would fit.

GBB
Re: combining 601 and 611 01/18/2017 01:59 PM CST

n my opinion.

One thing this change would do is give the New rangers (and the few shield using rangers) a brand new first level spell, with a shield flavor, which at the moment and most likely even with it, one that the majority of rangers would not use. Not sure I would want the bulk of rangers which are ranged having GM effort and a new spell that none of them use. Not arguing against shield maneuvers being added (as in combat man trained ones) but tying our magic to it seems like a waste when it will only apply to a very small number of rangers.

I would rather see things like

Make 601 able to cast at others 'one' person also.

Add some combat man shield maneuvers to ranger choices

fix/tweak Mfire for ranged (simply too many training points either less RT or less training points to learn it)

Companions tweaked

Tangle Weed looked at. Even with major lores and maxed spells it does not work post cap vs things a little overlevel 100 very well.

Adjust self control to add to spell aim as it does to ranged, this is a rather small bonus anyways, and should have been done when it was adjusted to ranged

Summon Swarm, with lore, affecting multiple targets

not a total list but a few off top of my head
etc