620 08/19/2016 04:01 PM CDT
Why?

Except for a select few, who uses this spell?

~EC
Re: 620 08/19/2016 04:28 PM CDT
I really don't agree with the statement that this spell is only used by a select few...

A number of my characters utilize this spell (rangers and non-rangers alike)

It's hugely useful in places like fire mages.

I see using this spell as one of the trade-off (perks) vs. wearing heavier armor.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: 620 08/19/2016 04:39 PM CDT
I intend on using it on my armor when my ranger starts hunting bog trolls and swamp hags, both have nature attacks that can be quite annoying. I might use it more, but the time it takes to make the potions and the inability to stockpile them just makes it too much of a pain for the benefit.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 620 08/19/2016 04:47 PM CDT
I think the one potion every hour mechanic is a bit outdated.

We just get around it by having multiple characters each request a potion (benefits of Premium I guess).

Honestly I'd like to see this mechanic removed entirely (or allow multiple potions to be queued up by a single character, similar to how you can have multiple orders for a can of paint at the fletcher shop).

-- Robert

Re: 620 08/19/2016 05:12 PM CDT
<<A number of my characters utilize this spell (rangers and non-rangers alike)~ PEREGRINEFALCON

Yes, but how often do they use the spell? 3X? 4X? More? It seems silly to me that we have a spell slot for a spell that is used that infrequently.

Just saying. :)

~EC
Re: 620 08/19/2016 05:40 PM CDT
>> Yes, but how often do they use the spell? 3X? 4X? More?

Months at a time? I don't know that I would measure it in casts if that is your question.

For my wizard partner when my paladin was hunting fire mages they probably put it on once every 4-6 weeks? For my rogue and ranger hunting partner it was about the same.

My capped wizard keeps ranger nature resistance on all the time - it doesn't fire off frequently so I refresh it every year or so?

The ranger that I go to for this spell has cast it for dozens of folks over the past couple of years that I am aware of (since I refer business their way).

It's a very valuable defense option with the ability to make a dramatic difference in your hunting experience in some areas... if you are willing to wear lighter armor. It's a choice.

-- Robert

Re: 620 08/20/2016 11:46 AM CDT

Very very rarely asked for this spell by others. By the time we have the lore/man share to make it decent, we are most likely wearing chain.

It is a good boost for low to mid level rangers and any other professions that wear light armor. But to be really good at it, your not usually using it yourself.

The one ranger I know is set up for this, does not really hunt anyways. I have a feeling it is the same one your commenting on Robert. (I could be wrong)

Aurach
John
Re: 620 08/20/2016 12:15 PM CDT
I'd be all for adding additional functionality to the spell but I would really hate to see it go away as an available option.

The ranger I am speaking of is low 70s, and still wears brig fwiw. Their resistance is around 63% or 70% with enhancives they sometimes use. Not good enough for some min-maxers but it is plenty effective in this range.

I know Reggy (sp?) used to offer like 95% resistance or something crazy like that but he also charge 10x-20x what I pay for it now (1-2 million with 2nd visit free or something like that - it's been awhile). I haven't seen him much in ages and believe he trained out of that setup at some point.

I think the service Raggler advertises is similar to what Reggy used to offer for a premium price again.

I think I've seen a few others offer it as well but I don't keep that close of an eye on it.

95% (or close to this) sounds awesome but anything over 50% gets the job of keeping you alive done quite nicely.

-- Robert

Re: 620 08/20/2016 01:13 PM CDT

While pup where chain now he was in brig up to around 95. It was more leading invasions that i moved to chain. So while this spell is not useful to pup now it could have been for a long while. In the 9 yrs of pup being around i never used the spell once.
Re: 620 08/20/2016 02:22 PM CDT
<< Months at a time? I don't know that I would measure it in casts if that is your question.

Though admittedly my ranger isn't spec'd for maximum benefits of this spell, I've used this spell on four, maybe five sets of armor. This is in a period of over ten years.

Basically, we have a mid-level spell slot taken by a spell that a select few individuals utilize regularly. Is there another spell in the game that is used less?

I don't know who your characters are, Robert. You cite your hunting partners using the spell but you say they go to a specific ranger for the spell. Have any of your characters used the spell? If so, how often?

I'm not looking to remove this from our circle of spells but more functionality would be very nice.

~EC
Re: 620 08/20/2016 03:05 PM CDT
<Basically, we have a mid-level spell slot taken by a spell that a select few individuals utilize regularly. Is there another spell in the game that is used less?>

While I don't have any data to back it up, I'd suggest Cry for Help (1116) and about half the minor mental list as contenders. I would include Scroll Infusion (714) as well except the few sorcerers that I know of who bother with it prolly use it more times daily then 620 and 1116 have been since they were released.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 620 08/20/2016 04:21 PM CDT
Make it higher level, and permit the addition of both active (offensive, as with CMans) and reactive flares (when struck), with the right ingredients of course. All three effects wear off at the same time, but only an actual flare uses a 'charge' from the coating.

Since there's a BUNCH of ways to have your armor contact the bad guys nowadays, that would be desirable.
Re: 620 08/20/2016 08:46 PM CDT
>> I don't know who your characters are, Robert. You cite your hunting partners using the spell but you say they go to a specific ranger for the spell. Have any of your characters used the spell? If so, how often?

I use the spell whenever it makes sense for the character and the hunting area(s) I am frequenting:

I presently use this on three of my characters but only one is getting awesome benefit from it.
- Level 73 TWC Ambushing rogue using brig (brig for lyfe!) hunting in fire mages - 620 is Essential for hunting in this area (or padded armor - and both is just plain fun).
- Level 41? (not going to log in and look) open archer Ranger wearing brig - I keep nature resist on at present because something in RR was casting something bad at me - maybe it was bog trolls? (don't recall what as this character wanders around between towns a lot). Eventually I plan on offering resistance services using this character but that is still a ways off given their current training.
- Capped wizard wearing doubles - I keep nature resist on for whatever random nature thing might hit me depending on where I am. I currently hunt nelemar but am considering options so might make a change depending on where I end up.

Pretty much anyone hunting on Teras in lighter armor would benefit from the fire resistance. I don't hunt the confluence but imagine it would be a valuable defense to have in their as well. As some of my other alts begin hunting areas with a heavy elemental flavor I'll continue to look for opportunities to utilize 620 for them as well - my sorcerer (17), warmage (19), and cleric (38?) will definitely have opportunities at some point along the road.

All that said, mostly my point in posting is to say that this can be a very valuable spell and I definitely wouldn't want to see it go away. Change the spell level, enhance it, give it more flash-bang, all good!

-- Robert

Re: 620 08/21/2016 04:42 PM CDT
...or just let us add lightning resistance. Please.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: 620 09/01/2016 08:41 AM CDT
I haven't used it, but that's usually because I've rarely had a good reason to do so and it seems complicated to use.

I probably should have figured out how to do it when I was hunting in Oteska's, but meh.
Re: 620 09/01/2016 07:54 PM CDT
Suggestion for 620 on heavier armors.

How about for heavier armors (chain and plate bases) casting 620 on them creates temporary elemental resistance pool (this could be used on lighter armors as well).

Up to n points of damage can be absorbed per elemental attack (of a specific element) until the pool is exhausted or 10 minutes expires?

n would be tied to some lore training and could never exceed more than 50% of the damage taken for any single attack.

Just a thought.

-- Robert

Re: 620 09/07/2016 05:21 AM CDT

What if, instead of it being 620, it was changed to an armor ability. Like mobility, stealth, and support.

The ranger could add the resistance for 4 hours, like other warrior resistances, without use of a potion. Perhaps instead of the amount of resistance added being based on the ranks of armor, instead, the ranger could add resistance to the armor group based on their armor ranks known. Can you only wear brig without maneuver and RT penalties? Then you can only add resistance to brig armor. Just a thought.