Assume Aspect 07/04/2015 10:30 AM CDT
Assume Aspect.

I am curious how many are using this in their normal hunting?

I find even at cap+ I use it more for Yierka foraging, A boost to help drag, or Porcupine Logic resting.

I find the 2 min duration, just seems so fast that if I am not constantly rotating aspects (pulling me out of shadows most often when ambushing) I am not getting use from some of the better abilities.

Just curious if perhaps a consideration of perhaps a 3 min duration would be enough to find more using it Or perhaps 2 min, but with some added seconds for lores? heck even 1 second per rank would help.

Maybe with the added duration we have a longer cool down time. Just seems to go so fast by time I find the critters, to use the combat aspects, the duration is gone.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Aurach

John
Re: Assume Aspect 07/04/2015 11:37 AM CDT
I wouldn't turn down longer-lasting aspects.

That aside, I can help you with one particular detail of your complaint.

>just seems so fast that if I am not constantly rotating aspects (pulling me out of shadows most often when ambushing)

You do not need to PREP the spell every time you want to take on a different aspect. After casting the spell, you can just ASSUME (w/o prepping 650) each aspect for the remainder of the spell's duration. While PREP does pull you out of hiding, ASSUME does not.

You might already know this, but I see you prepping every time you take on an aspect (maybe it's a script).

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Assume Aspect 07/04/2015 11:57 AM CDT

You are correct on the assume, was a simple script to just run a couple back to back.

I would still like to see just a small nudge on the durations.
Re: Assume Aspect 07/04/2015 01:47 PM CDT
As an archer I use AA a lot when I'm hunting either warcamps or during invasions. I swap between wolf and hawk. I find I have no mana problems and the duration is just fine for me. I don't think it is a spell that is meant to be kept up indefinitely, but for all intents and purposes I can keep mine running for as long as I need it, as long as I don't use too much mana for other spells or sending to others.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Assume Aspect 07/04/2015 02:25 PM CDT

Now pup is the other side. He uses the rest of his spells during hunt so,its a trade off. Also he sends a lot to the party healers. For that reason i think i cast that spell maybe 5 times in all,the years of having it. The only other spell he never uses is 620.
Re: Assume Aspect 07/05/2015 03:31 PM CDT

'but for all intents and purposes I can keep mine running for as long as I need it, as long as I don't use too much mana for other spells'

That is the point
Re: Assume Aspect 07/05/2015 05:26 PM CDT
'but for all intents and purposes I can keep mine running for as long as I need it, as long as I don't use too much mana for other spells'
That is the point

I've never been a mana hunter; never had to. Once in a great while if I or my group get into a bind I'll spike or fury, or, if helping a younger person I'll spirit strike them or cast unbalance. My setup is limited to "aim left eye, fire". If that doesn't do it then I just "aim right eye, fire".

It's been my experience that, since 650 was released, people have had issues about the mana cost vs duration vs benefit vs whatever. If you use your other spells with 650 properly you shouldn't have any issues with any of those. It's not meant to be an all powerful spell that makes you superior all the time, it's meant to be used as needed, or, when you get post cap, all the time... with care.

Checks and balances, sacrifices vs benefits. This is one of those spells that if you want to use it a lot then you have to limit something else, and, even though I'd love to see myself able to use all the spike or WoF that I want while running 650 all the time I know that this would be severely unbalancing to the game.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Re: Assume Aspect 07/05/2015 06:15 PM CDT
Reply to Radeek's post...

I do agree there needs to be a balance for a 50 lvl spell. That said, unlike Radeek's build, Pup is built as a sword and board and a pretty balanced character between spells and weapons. Its kind of telling that in the years I've had that spell that I have not once found a good way to work it into my circle of spells. Maybe its because I built pup a bit antique instead of using a bow but this build is a mix of mechanics and RP for the character. And with this built at least to me the use of vine/bugs/sounds/unbalance and being a source of mana for those hunting partners that can accept that type of mana makes more sense. To me its a shame though that a 50th spell that is suppose to be such a high level spell finds its use by only some of the rangers I've talked to while most dont even use it.

Pup's Player
Re: Assume Aspect 07/05/2015 09:44 PM CDT

Apparently my original post referencing a gentle nudge to the spell versus turning it into some uber spell was lost.

This spell is hardly 140 wall of force at 90 seconds and ten mana less. I choose not to even have wall of force to run it. So not trying to run both.

I even referenced several ideas with using lore perhaps. I did not ask for a unlimited duration. I do not think any read 'Gentle nudge' as, make spell uber. I even mentioned perhaps lengthening the cool down time between choices.

Just because the build your referencing as an archer is not mana intensive. Does not mean others do not see the usefulness of 650 of very limited use.

John
Re: Assume Aspect 07/06/2015 06:14 AM CDT
Apparently my original post referencing a gentle nudge to the spell versus turning it into some uber spell was lost.
This spell is hardly 140 wall of force at 90 seconds and ten mana less. I choose not to even have wall of force to run it. So not trying to run both.
I even referenced several ideas with using lore perhaps. I did not ask for a unlimited duration. I do not think any read 'Gentle nudge' as, make spell uber. I even mentioned perhaps lengthening the cool down time between choices.
Just because the build your referencing as an archer is not mana intensive. Does not mean others do not see the usefulness of 650 of very limited use.
John

I think I failed to make my point as well, sometimes I tend to ramble a bit or be blunt, blame it on old age and being cantankerous. What I mean with 650 is could it be tweaked a bit? Sure it could. Should it be tweaked? Maybe. Very few use it like I do, but I am fortunate enough to have figured out how to make it best suit my character, in terms of both mana and training, and to be of such a build (pure sniping archer (who rarely hides in combat actually), no lores, no cmans's, and no secondary physical attack mode since I dropped brawling in favor of a major overhaul to PT and dodge) and it works very well for me. Would I like to see it work better? Uh huh, of course I would, I'm all for being bigger, better, and badder.

My choice for a change to 650 would center around duration and would be in the mana control realm rather than the lore area, since lores already affect all aspects of 650. The more mana control you have, the longer the duration of the aspect, however, then you should also have a longer cool-down between aspects, but those times should match. This would perhaps alleviate "some" mana issues that some rangers seem to have but would also require an adjustment to training paths. Would it be worth it? Maybe, but I doubt my own training plan would change much right away though.

Another idea would be to leave 650 as is when cast and using the ASSUME verb for taking on an aspect. This would be at the current mana costs, cooldowns, and duration. But what if you only need 650 for a "quickie", to get out of a bind or to perform some task? Perhaps we could add another verb such as GARNER *aspect name*. This would be of half duration for the aspect, at the cost of say, 10-15 mana, but with the same cool-down period as ASSUME now has. This could perhaps make the spell more "utilitarian" and maybe a bit more useful.

I don't know though, these are just early morning coffee drinking thoughts... I really don't know what other players do with 650 since I figured out what works for my character and I don't mess with what works for me.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: Assume Aspect 01/24/2016 06:21 AM CST

I am trained as a sniping archer, and because of that 650 works very well for me. The only thing that really bothers me about the spell is that it is subject to the enhansive cap. With this spells short duration and cooldown periods, i would think that it should allow us to go beyond the +40 stat / +50 skill cap.