603/604 03/30/2015 09:47 PM CDT
Years ago, there was a discussion about 603 and 604 where someone was claiming that research had showed that both these spells gave a bonus of +25 phantom ranks in the respective skill +1 rank per ranger spell, and later a GM said the bonus from extra ranger spells was uncapped. Can anyone corroborate this memory? Or, even better, would a GM care to chime in with how these utility spells work exactly?

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: 603/604 03/31/2015 10:45 AM CDT
>Years ago, there was a discussion about 603 and 604 where someone was claiming that research had showed that both these spells gave a bonus of +25 phantom ranks in the respective skill +1 rank per ranger spell, and later a GM said the bonus from extra ranger spells was uncapped. Can anyone corroborate this memory? Or, even better, would a GM care to chime in with how these utility spells work exactly?

I don't recall that particular claim, though I do remember lots of speculation about what 603/604 might do aside from the bonuses advertised. However, I'd wager that the spells only do what the official docs say they do.

It's super easy to test, honestly. If I'm getting +125 ranks of Perception, as per the claim, then I should see a noticeable difference when searching for, say, a 3x S&H capped rogue.

I'll try and catch Wolfloner. Or a GM can chime in; that would be great.

~Brian, Sepher's player

(Kaldonis does not like Sepher and thinks he is wasting time.)
Re: 603/604 03/31/2015 11:26 AM CDT
Yeah. I found another ranger to test it on, and no dice. If there is a bonus to perception from either spell, it's small and flat. I doubt there's any, though.

I always have wondered about the different messaging that 603 gives when cast indoors, as an aside. Does casting the spell indoors provide a penalty, or a different effect?

~Brian, Sepher's player

Re: 603/604 03/31/2015 01:30 PM CDT
I think you misunderstood. No one is claiming that 603 provides phantom ranks to perception. It provides phantom generic foraging ranks or phantom survival ranks for the sole use of foraging. I would never expect 603 or 604 to aid in anything but foraging and skinning. I'm just curious how it affects those two actions.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Re: 603/604 03/31/2015 01:34 PM CDT
Oh, huh. Nevermind, then. I think I must have read "phantom" as "perception." Oops.

~Brian, Sepher's player

Re: 603/604 04/03/2015 11:17 PM CDT
Okay, how about a formal request to declassify the inner workings of 603 and 604? At this stage in Gemstone's lifetime, it seems silly to keep the mechanics of low level utility spells a secret, especially as each new spell release comes with unprecedented transparency these days. One of the best developments in recent years is how forthcoming you guys have become regarding game mechanics. That being said, can we rangers please know how our third level spell works?

Droit

Re: 603/604 04/04/2015 02:09 AM CDT
Foraging (603): When active on a Ranger, grants bonus of (10 + ((ranger spells known - 3) / 4)), to a maximum of 30. Non-Rangers receive of a bonus of (level / 4), to a maximum of 15. Each rank of Spiritual Lore, Blessings grants +1, up to a maximum lore bonus of 30. So total, a Ranger can get +60 once they know 83 Ranger spell ranks and 30 ranks of Spiritual Lore, Blessings. Each point of this bonus is worth 3x the bonus received from 1 rank of training in Survival.

Skinning (604): When active on a Ranger, grants a bonus of (25 + ranger spells known), uncapped. Non-Rangers receive a bonus of 25. Each point of this bonus is equal to 1 rank of First Aid or Survival. Training in Spiritual Lore, Blessings increases skin value by 1% per seed 5 summation.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 603/604 04/04/2015 02:44 AM CDT
That is such amazing information. Thank you so much Estild!

Droit

Re: 603/604 04/04/2015 09:22 AM CDT
Well that definitively answers that! Thanks for being so forthcoming Estild.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: 603/604 04/04/2015 09:35 AM CDT
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to mention that I have added this information to the wiki entries for 603 and 604. I also updated the information for the lore bonus on 604 on the Lore Chart and the Spirit Lore, Blessings page.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!