Additional Suggestions and Ideas for Ranger Guild 03/15/2018 02:03 PM CDT
Bunch of us on lnet decided to start tossing out ideas and suggestions for a Ranger Guild. Thought I'd post and share what folks came up with, there were some great ideas. Thanks!

[help]-GSIV:Brutish: "well, someone needs to sit down with a GM and hash out some legit ranger guild skills."

[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "I always thought that bandits traps, snares and steel jaws, should have been a product of the rangers guild.."

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "and as far as the rangers go, it is right there for the taking - they already have that guy who makes potions for the resist nature enchant thing."

[help]-You: "That would be nice, yes... I had to learn sweep through cman for things like stone giants"

[help]-GSIV:Kittai: "and when was the last time anyone asked for ranger resistance?"

[help]-GSIV:Meureii: "Excellent idea for them Kisun. Rangers can lay traps and whatnot. Like the jaws traps"

[help]-GSIV:Throknagar: "I agree with that on traps. I don't even play a Ranger, and it makes perfect sense to give Rangers the ability to set traps and snares."

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "rangers are pretty great, and that trap idea is wonderful. Would be nice if they could assist other players more in some way as someone alluded to. They are good go-it-aloners, but maybe that is part of the class"

[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "they ability is already in the game, it wouldn't be that hard to code out. you just buy a kit, like a locksmith kit with everything in it, and just make some 'you set a snare' message using the kit, when the kits run out, you buy a new one."

[help]-You: "Very true Kisun... then hide and wait for something to step in it haha"

[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "then cast 608 and wait."

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "would also be nice to have a guild skill similar to that monk spell that brings out the critters"

[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "instead of a warcry, you can whistle or something, create a fake call, like a replication of a bear growl, from hiding, and bears come out."

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "right, have it in the same skill tree as the trapping"

[help]-GSIV:Brutish: " maybe a guild skill that improves your stick/magic item making skill?"

[help]-You: "Haha, great ideas... now just need a GM to hear them. I also like that I can forage my own herbs, but there's some you can't forage, like the potions... so that type of alchemy would be nice"

[help]-GSIV:Throknagar: "Oooh... Those are some fantastic ideas."

[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "well, you could have one skill be traps, one could be calls, one could be herbology, and have one more physical skill like sweep or tackle or something."

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "yeah the potion making is really entry level, although I have no idea how hard it is to make changes. Would be nice if imbune could get enhanced to make it basically ranger 420, but maybe just with select 600s"

[help]-GSIV:Throknagar: "I also liked that idea that somebody had earlier about the ranger companion bringing a body back to town... Like, have backtrails built into the game that only the companions can follow, and let them drag a body back to town... Hell, make it so rangers can travel those backtrails and find new ways to places."

[help]-GSIV:Brutish: "I think if ranger alchemy was a thing, a salve using tree bark and leaves to help in hiding from animals.... that would be awesome."

[help]-GSIV:Mykta: "Ranger trails are a DR thing."

[help]-You: "Like in Hunger Games? Paint themselves some camo?"

[help]-GSIV:Brutish: "that would be legit"

[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "they already have 608."

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "would also be great if somehow ranger found herbs via some guild skill would reduce all herb use RT for anyone using them, and one could then sell/provide them to other adventurers"

[help]-GSIV:Brutish: "specifically against animals, since they're the HARDEST THING IN THE WORLD to hide from a coyote"

[help]-GSIV:Meureii: "It's called Sigil of Mending!"

[help]-You: "My issue with 608 is it helps you hide, but not STAY hidden"

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "coyotes can see through walls"

[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "So, with this though, you have to remember, the critters who are rangers, will use this stuff as well.."

[help]-You: "Kinda makes sense with the coyotes, since they're a canine... can sniff someone out pretty easily"

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "i would really like it if a ranger-based critter would take out some yaba fruit potion, down it, and then keep trying to mess me up."

[help]-You: "Lol Roubaix, I'm not sure I would really like that"

[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "all they'd have to do is reword the troll regen into 'drinking a potion, tosses it aside'"

[help]-GSIV:Roubaix: "oh come on that would be freaking awesome, critters that actually defend themselves"

[help]-GSIV:Kittai: "that was me throk, with the rangers not being overly useful to others, and the companions dragging US back to town. they already have the ability to drag others back. it just makes sense, since they care about us, that they could drag us back too."

[help]-GSIV:Brutish: "maybe with super high ranger guild skills, you could get more advanced companions. I'd love a monkey who applies herbs to my dead body, jus sayin'."

[help]-You: "Yeah, when I first got my companion I was bummed she couldn't drag ME"

[help]-GSIV:Sinosec: "rangers need a decoy skill. When you cast 608 you make a magical decoy out of i dont know twigs and leaves. So critters think you're still in the open for a few seconds"

[help]-You: "Familiars and spirits already do useful things like keep you or run for help kind of stuff... but companions don't do anything to assist with death"

Lots of good ideas and brainstorming!
- Lornieh
Re: Additional Suggestions and Ideas for Ranger Guild 03/18/2018 10:25 PM CDT
[help]-GSIV:Kisun: "they ability is already in the game, it wouldn't be that hard to code out. you just buy a kit, like a locksmith kit with everything in it, and just make some 'you set a snare' message using the kit, when the kits run out, you buy a new one."

My thoughts here are less akin to jaw traps [mechanical], and more like deadfalls, snares, spring traps, and punji pits [natural]. I think keeping snare wire, twine, or rope [snare kit?] on our person and making these on the fly. Jaw traps could get heavy, too, depending on what you’re trying to catch. These can also be dependent on the climate and terrain. I can’t help but feel that jaw traps belong to rogues.

[help]-You: "Haha, great ideas... now just need a GM to hear them. I also like that I can forage my own herbs, but there's some you can't forage, like the potions... so that type of alchemy would be nice"

To tie in with alchemy, which I am not opposed to, would be making basic salves and pastes out of things [bur clover root, smashed with field expedient mortar and pestle (or even chewed up?} into a paste that can be applied to eyes for healing]. I only offer this as alchemy with workshops and beakers and fire goes against my character’s style of rangering. Being able to kneel, forage, make salve, and apply ad hoc is more his style. Just a thought. But agreed, what’s the point of having bur clover root if you can’t make some sort of potion/salve/paste from it?

[help]-GSIV:Throknagar: "I also liked that idea that somebody had earlier about the ranger companion bringing a body back to town... Like, have backtrails built into the game that only the companions can follow, and let them drag a body back to town... Hell, make it so rangers can travel those backtrails and find new ways to places."

Completely agree with tracking/backtrails. I think it would be a burden on the server/system to have every character leave a bread trail for rangers to track (too many tracks, too many players), but to have YOUR companion track someone, and YOU track YOUR companion would limit the burden on the system. Then when someone dies, TELL COMPANION TO TRACK <DECEASED> and then you track your companion for a rescue. I know we get locate person, but this also would be cool.

[help]-GSIV:Brutish: "I think if ranger alchemy was a thing, a salve using tree bark and leaves to help in hiding from animals.... that would be awesome."

[help]-GSIV:Mykta: "Ranger trails are a DR thing."

[help]-You: "Like in Hunger Games? Paint themselves some camo?"

Ghillie suits. Make them as a guild skill. Perhaps provides + to stalking in hiding (or perhaps +DS, but perhaps not +AS?) if your ghillie suit matched the environs you are in.

[help]-GSIV:Sinosec: "rangers need a decoy skill. When you cast 608 you make a magical decoy out of i dont know twigs and leaves. So critters think you're still in the open for a few seconds"

What if we ducked down and grabbed a handful of dirt and leaves (or similar, based on environs), tossing it in the air, confusing the critter (giving it a 3 to 5 second RT) to give us extra time to hide, ambush right leg.

[help]-You: "Familiars and spirits already do useful things like keep you or run for help kind of stuff... but companions don't do anything to assist with death"

I think we need to be careful comparing companions with familiars and spirits. Our companions can hunt, attack, guard which I’ve never seen a familiar do. The last thing I would want is a nerfed attack just to be dragged back to town.