Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Multi-race culture option 09/27/2009 11:45 AM CDT
<<I know, at one point, you were planning the possibility for citizens to achieve the "River Rat" title through some means. At this point, I would say the beret-wearing foreigner sitting in a cafe had become fully adjusted and accepted into the culture. There wouldn't be a "River Rat from River's Rest" cultural title option, but anyone with some sense would link "River Rat" back to River's Rest. We know that eventually someone living in a foreign culture will acclimate and adjust themselves to it. In many cases they'll even end up partially or fully accepted into the culture.

I think a point, though, is as you said, River's Rest is much like a multi-racial culture in existence. By its very culture, it's accepting (for the most part) of all the other races, and is of a type of culture, in which it is possible for members of other races to belong. This is not true of every where else!

River's Rest culture is dramatically different than Torren Culture, with its regard to other races. There's not a chance a dwarf could be confused for a Torren, nor ever be accepted by most Torrens as being Torren. River's Rest has nearly as much in common with the Landing than it does to Fairport, for example.

The Rest is unique in its acceptance of others, somewhat an island of misfits and outcasts, outsiders and loners. It's a place where those who would not, or could not, or even are not allowed to, belong to other cultures and places end up and can find a home. The de facto leader of the River Rats lives in River's Rest because he couldn't handle the culture he was born into back in Fairport, for example. As such, it's a bad example to use.

GM Scribes
Re: Multi-race culture option 09/27/2009 11:50 AM CDT
<<somewhat an island of misfits and outcasts

Is there an elf that wants to be a dentist there? [That rudolph special from the 60s, you know...the island of misfit toys?] ;)

--Xynwen--
"The stars go waltzing out in blue and red, And arbitrary blackness gallops in"
Re: Multi-race culture option 09/27/2009 12:22 PM CDT
<<Is there an elf that wants to be a dentist there? [That rudolph special from the 60s, you know...the island of misfit toys?] ;)

Uh.

GM Scribes, has flashbacks to Halloween two years ago.
Re: Multi-race culture option 09/27/2009 04:05 PM CDT
"I think a point, though, is as you said, River's Rest is much like a multi-racial culture in existence. By its very culture, it's accepting (for the most part) of all the other races, and is of a type of culture, in which it is possible for members of other races to belong. This is not true of every where else!"

Why does it matter if the culture accepts them or not? They can still act like they are from there and assimilate and still not be accepted by others.

Not sure why the town and society would need to approve for you to follow that culture. So if a dwarf wanted to follow the Vaalor culture why would it matter if the elves approved. Even if the dwarf may never feel welcome by everyone that is there decision.
Re: Multi-race culture option 09/27/2009 05:54 PM CDT
<<Why does it matter if the culture accepts them or not? They can still act like they are from there and assimilate and still not be accepted by others.

Someone who is never accepted by the culture would never be able to learn enough of it from just observation alone.

I do appreciate folks challenging my opinion, as one, it's just that, my opinion. Second, it shows you care about the topic. :)

GM Scribes
Re: Multi-race culture option 09/27/2009 06:11 PM CDT
"Someone who is never accepted by the culture would never be able to learn enough of it from just observation alone."

While I agree in theory, but they do not need to be welcomed by the society at large to be welcomed by individuals who can then teach them more and assimilate them. The goverme The entire society accepting them seems to be a different issue.
Re: Multi-race culture option 10/03/2009 04:52 AM CDT
I'm a little late to the party, but figured I'd chime in. At first I didn't like the idea of a multi-racial culture because I didn't see how it would fit. Though the idea of a traveling culture that absorbs people not depending on their race, but on their common beliefs or status, seems plausible.

Think of the Gypsies. Kinda. The Romany are actually very insular. But taking that example as an idea for a culture that is always in motion is an interesting one and then adding the idea that they sometimes pick up stragglers makes some sense. Those who were born into that culture and maybe have three previous generations existing within it would have the identifiable culture of that group, not some other place or race.

Then again, elves pose a problem to that. Elves would likely be newcomers, not born within the culture, simply because of their longevity. An Ardenai elf who joined one of the traveling groups 30 years ago would still be highly influenced by their original Ardenai culture, though as time goes by that would slowly shift. In order for there to be a third generation elf of that culture, you're talking about covering a few hundred years to a millenium!

On an entirely different note, I did like EK's suggestion. But with the understanding, because the objections that Scribes raised are important ones, that the selection of a regional influence is not synonymous with culture. In other words, if your dwarf has been living in or near Ta'Illistim his entire life and has not been living in an insular dwarven ghetto, it's reasonable that he could be influenced to some degree by Illistim culture if he was actively embracing it. But he would not be an actual member of elven culture and never could be.

Though I have to admit that the mere idea of a dwarf embracing elven culture is causing my brain to have a little meltdown. On behalf of both dwarves and elves. <grin>

Where I can see such a thing really being valuable though is for characters like my dark elven rogue. By blood she's Faendryl. But she was born and raised in Wehnimer's Landing to a woman who had long since lost her cultural ties, and thus has never been influenced by Faendryl culture. So I've never selected a culture for her. Choosing something like frontier or western Elanith would accurately reflect the regional influence on her when growing up. Or if I hadn't tied my half-elf so closely to her elven heritage and culture, it would be a great choice as well.

Anyway, those are my musings at the moment.

Zyllah
Re: Multi-race culture option 11/29/2009 09:49 AM CST
Hey I'm only a couple months behind this topic. I do wonder why citizenship does not convey a cultural option. Yes I understand some races are not fully accepted but then they can either only get partial citizenship or none at all. Perhaps we could even have different cultural settings for partial and full citizenship. Just a thought.

Keith/Kithus

http://brinret.mybrute.com

"Empaths are not hybrids."
-Strathspey
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=29&topic=2&message=5629
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=29&topic=2&message=5644
Re: Multi-race culture option 11/29/2009 09:56 AM CST
>>Hey I'm only a couple months behind this topic. I do wonder why citizenship does not convey a cultural option. Yes I understand some races are not fully accepted but then they can either only get partial citizenship or none at all. Perhaps we could even have different cultural settings for partial and full citizenship. Just a thought. - Keith

This actually exists. In Vaalor, only a Vaalor Elf is a full citizen, all other elves and sylvans are partial citizens.

- Me
EES Website: http://www.gsranger.net/
Foraging Galore: http://www.gsranger.net/guides/foraging/
PRO Resources: http://www.gsmeetinghalls.com/

Don't feed the troll, it only makes him worse.
Re: Multi-race culture option 11/29/2009 05:27 PM CST
>>This actually exists. In Vaalor, only a Vaalor Elf is a full citizen, all other elves and sylvans are partial citizens.

rest of us gits to pay to clean their streets for em.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Toadstool News and reminders at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/zullogoth/
Re: Multi-race culture option 12/03/2009 12:13 PM CST
<< That said, I like EK's idea, though there'd have to be a limit to whom could use what. I don't see a Dark Elf being from the western part of the Empire, or any part of the empire, period (for example). >> Oppressor Scribes

Thanks for invalidating one of my roleplay choices, Scribes! :(

--
Naos, runs away, crying

I'm immune to fire!
Re: Multi-race culture option 12/03/2009 12:56 PM CST
<<Thanks for invalidating one of my roleplay choices, Scribes! :(

One night stands HAVE CONSEQUENCES. :(

GM Scribes
Re: Multi-race culture option 12/04/2009 02:25 AM CST
<<Thanks for invalidating one of my roleplay choices, Scribes! :(
One night stands HAVE CONSEQUENCES. :(
GM Scribes

Speaking of which, Helga wants her alimony check.

~
GM Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
~
"If you love, love without reservation. If you fight, fight without fear."
Re: Multi-race culture option 12/04/2009 06:21 AM CST
<<Speaking of which, Helga wants her alimony check.

From my cold dead hand. =(

GM Scribes
Re: Multi-race culture option 12/04/2009 12:11 PM CST
<<From my cold dead hand. =(

So losing the other hand was the result of the first time of not paying her? I'd hate to see what parts are next!

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Multi-race culture option 12/04/2009 12:21 PM CST
So losing the other hand was the result of the first time of not paying her? I'd hate to see what parts are next!

I'm pretty sure you give up those parts at the wedding. Do you get the jar back at the divorce?

Keith/Kithus

http://brinret.mybrute.com

"Empaths are not hybrids."
-Strathspey
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=29&topic=2&message=5629
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=29&topic=2&message=5644
Re: Multi-race culture option 12/04/2009 06:15 PM CST
>From my cold dead hand. =(

Ha! I had this made at EG this year:

>a steel-mounted severed hand
>Aged but well preserved, the hand terminates sharply at a steel base bearing an etching of a trident. The fingers are thick and scarred, showing signs of a lifetime of wear and tear. The words "Ware the Price of Mutiny" are tattooed onto the palm.

---
Miss Nixxi Dagon
Nymph & Dagger, incorporated
AIM: GS4 Islyia

>A heavily bundled halfling walks by, mumbling. The gist of his sentiment seems to be disapproval of the sea, sea wenches and ocean life in general.
Re: Multi-race culture option 12/04/2009 09:12 PM CST
FYI - A severed hand can be found within the island of River's Rest.

GM Scribes
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page