What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/06/2007 11:44 PM CDT
My wizard uses lances and I'm just wondering what are some decent ones I should try and get? I don't know a whole lot about the various kinds of weapons out there, should I be looking for flaring ones, crit weighted ones?
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 12:07 AM CDT
My .02 worth...

Flares, flares, flares, flares, and more flares. Which one is up to you. I've got a paralyzation snake flaring, a concussion (BONK!) flaring, lightining, acid, cold, etc. There are a couple nice flaring ones for like 10-15m; disentigration, mana disrupt,.....another funky flaring one out there I forget....void maybe?

Don't pass up the versatility of the other polearms though. HoK's and JA's come in a wide variety as well and should allow you to reach <5 rt's as a hasted wizard. Although, JA's won't allow you to make use of CHARGE...which I'm not certain is open to wizards anyways.

As I said...my .02 worth.

~Gordd

"If you have a problem with that I'll be outside. I'm a bit drunk to, so it should be a fair fight."
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 12:12 AM CDT
Wehn it comes to lances and awl-pikes, flares are indeed the rule of the day. Flares with the best enchant you can manage are going to be the best mechanical effect for any lance.

Menos
AIM: GS4Menos

>Rightly to be great
>Is not to stir without great argument,
>But greatly to find quarrel in a straw
>When honour's at the stake.
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 12:23 AM CDT
I'm checking the player shops but don't see any with flares.

And I thought lances had the best DF, do HoK's and awl-pikes do something else that would make them superior to lances?
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 12:35 AM CDT
I got a new flare for polearms only coming to EG.

And one other secret one that's pretty cool.

~K

All your cookies are belong to us.
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 12:40 AM CDT
>I'm checking the player shops but don't see any with flares.

If you can meet me in Haven, I'll give you a couple 2-4x lances I have just stashed down there doing me absolutely no good. AIM is Lapathetiq.

>And I thought lances had the best DF, do HoK's and awl-pikes do something else that would make them superior to lances?

Awl-pikes and lances are near similiar...same base RT, almost same DF's, though in some instances awl-pikes are better. There are some who swear by awl-pikes over lances just because the make more IG sense since we don't ride horses in Elanthia. From an RP perspective, I somewhat agree and alter most of my lances to the "pike" alternative.

HoK's, and JA's are the next base speed down, with each offering their own advantages. Both are base speed 7 (vs 9 for awl-pike/lance), and both offer decent DF's across the board. HoK's a primarily piercing weapons, while JA's are primarily crush; the only other primarily crushing polearm is the lance. I find crush crits to be highly useful for creatures with high blood and/or low crit thresholds and for just overall higher damage. Part of why I had my bandolier made into bearded-axes was because of their being primarily crush crits. HoK's and JA's to some extent are also overlooked by most of the polearming community who tend to stick to the extreme ends of the polearm spectrum, leaving decent deals to be had for those willing to live in the middle of the road.

~Gordd

"If you have a problem with that I'll be outside. I'm a bit drunk to, so it should be a fair fight."
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 12:42 AM CDT
I got a new flare for polearms only coming to EG.

And one other secret one that's pretty cool.

~K
_________
You enjoy tormenting me and raping my bank account don't you?

~Gordd

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 12:57 AM CDT
>I'm checking the player shops but don't see any with flares.

If you can meet me in Haven, I'll give you a couple 2-4x lances I have just stashed down there doing me absolutely no good. AIM is Lapathetiq.
I apologize...apparently in my zeal to clean out the wife's locker yesterday I dumped all the weapons into Silverwood Manor's donation bin. I may still have a few others I'm not using, but no promises.

~Gordd

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 12:59 AM CDT
>You enjoy tormenting me and draining my bank account don't you? ~Gordd

Yes.

:)

~K

All your cookies are belong to us.
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 03:26 AM CDT
Uhh...why flares for lances? I kind of hate flares for anything 2handed, because the speed leads to less overall damage unless you have really good flares.

-Falicor

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try! -Dr.Seuss
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 08:55 AM CDT
You thrust with a bone-shafted black vultite awl-pike at a lesser construct!
AS: +432 vs DS: +244 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +87 = +314
... and hit for 84 points of damage!
Left hand mangled horribly.
The shimmering gold aura surrounding the lesser construct fades and goes out.

Your black vultite awl-pike releases a shimmering beam of disintegration!

... 50 points of damage!
Vicious blast turns huge portions of back into red mist! Now lacking spinal support, the lesser construct crumples into a heap.
It is knocked to the ground!
Roundtime: 5 sec.

[Roll result: 317 (open d100: 94) Penalties: 10]
With a fluid whirl, you plant a bone-shafted black vultite awl-pike firmly into the ground near a rolton and jerk the weapon sharply sideways.
A rolton's feet are swept roughly from under her!
... 7 points of damage!
Torn muscle in the rolton's left leg!

Your black vultite awl-pike releases a shimmering beam of disintegration!

... 60 points of damage!
Most of chest removed, resulting in gaping hole in midsection!
The rolton lets out a final agonized bleat and dies.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

I have good flares!

The voice of Krayton says, "That was mean."
Sproink says, "Yeah, well."
Sproink says, "Hello."
Sproink says, "I'm Sproink."
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 11:13 AM CDT
<<Uhh...why flares for lances? I kind of hate flares for anything 2handed, because the speed leads to less overall damage unless you have really good flares.

Because a perfectly forged awl-pike that is 7x with flares is NICE.

-Alerr, da halfling lancer
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 08:31 PM CDT
I can see, for the trips/charges, flares makes sense. But overall I always saw crit weighting or damage weighting (though I guess now flares trumps Damage by alot), as superior. Simply because with a lance you get what, 2 swings in 10-11 seconds, with an mstrike. Thats a far cry from the sai users who are getting 6+ in that time. I guess it probably has alot to do with the rarity of crit weighted lances and the ability to add flares with PP's.

-Falicor

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try! -Dr.Seuss
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 08:52 PM CDT
I can see, for the trips/charges, flares makes sense. But overall I always saw crit weighting or damage weighting (though I guess now flares trumps Damage by alot), as superior. Simply because with a lance you get what, 2 swings in 10-11 seconds, with an mstrike. Thats a far cry from the sai users who are getting 6+ in that time. I guess it probably has alot to do with the rarity of crit weighted lances and the ability to add flares with PP's.

-Falicor
Couple all of that with the high damage factors of lances and awl-pikes and crit weighting just isn't that spectacular anymore. I don't have a hard time doing crit kills with an aimed HoK or JA...trying to aim a lance or awl-pike is much more difficult. At this point, I've forgone lances and awl-pikes in favor of the middle road polearms and really only break out the lance for those high health creatures or for doing mass amounts of damage at once. One good mstrike from a lance is usually doing 200+ damage without flares...not much lives past that to make the extra price of crit weighting worth it for me.

~Gordd

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 08:59 PM CDT
Yeah, crit weighting is not worth it for a lance. Especially for the price you are going to pay since good crit weighted lances are few and far between. On a regular basis, just with an imflass lance, my warrior does upwards of almost 200 damage on one swing. Not much is going to live through many strikes at that damage. I even mstrike twice with a lance in 9 seconds. But of course, having a combined bonus of 70 with my AGI and DEX stats really help that.

Speaking of trip and charge, I haven't even used trip since the changes of it going to the CMAN maneuver list and it using stamina. I haven't used charge in a while, but someday I will go back to having 5 ranks in it again. I used to use it a lot just for flavor when hunting.

-Adam
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/07/2007 09:20 PM CDT
I guess I am on the opposite end of the stick here. I love crit weighting. It's a huge bonus to have your claid sink into somethings head with a 115 endroll and you kill it. Or you hit something in the leg with a 130 endroll, and it's prone/stunned. I never used polearm, like I said, so I suppose there are alot more options there.

-Falicor

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/08/2007 09:52 PM CDT
>I guess I am on the opposite end of the stick here. I love crit weighting. It's a huge bonus to have your claid sink into somethings head with a 115 endroll and you kill it. Or you hit something in the leg with a 130 endroll, and it's prone/stunned. I never used polearm, like I said, so I suppose there are alot more options there.

You have to first understand just what sort of weighting you are seeing. The best possible to find lance and awl-pike weighted weapons are going to be in the heavy/very heavy range for weighting. You are talking like 5 phantom damage, meaning a range of 3-5 damage on any given hit. With a lance against skin, 3-5 phantom damage represents an endroll difference of 4 to 6.67. Even under the absolute best circumstances, against a foe in plate armor, that phantom damage represents an endroll difference of 8.5 to 14.3. So an endroll of 115 with a heavy crit weighted lance against plate is the same as about a 129 endroll with any other lance. However, the price for a 4x lance with heavy crit weighting is well above a 7x lance with flares. With the same skill and roll, the 115 endroll for a 4x weighted lance would be a 130 endroll for the 7x lance. The 7x lance also gives the HP damage for that higher endroll, and may flare.

Basicly, heavy crit weighting on a lance is under the absolute best circumstances, less effective in every way to +15 more enchant. And it may be of as little importance as +4 more enchant. Moreover, in a very short time anyone using a lance is likely to be landing shots well above 114 endrolls. In fact, they will very soon be landing shots consistantly in the 5-9 max crit bracket. Anything passing the rank 9 damage (rank 5-9 in reality with the new rounding and such), will have zero effect from weighting. But a flare will still do damage on one of those rank 5-9 hits, with a random chance to knock out some useful area or kill the foe.

Claidhmores are a different story. A good weighted lance could be called 4x with heavy crit weighting. Such a lance would have at best 5 phantom damage (10 ranks of weighting) added to the crit calculations. Any claidhmore has 40 phantom damage, or 80 ranks of crit weighting. So huge an ammount of weighting makes claidhmores reach that 5-9 rank range well before other weapons. But even here, claidhmores will eventualy fall prey to the higher average endrolls people get at higher levels and the greater damage factors of other weapons. This is not to say a claidhmore becomes uselesss, but simply that it's true advantages are less often seen at higher levels. If you need a 200 endroll to get to the 5-9 range with a maul and a 114 to get there with a claidhmore, but every shot is a 250+ endroll, than the higher damage and chance to flare from the maul is a better choice.

Menos
AIM: GS4Menos

>Rightly to be great
>Is not to stir without great argument,
>But greatly to find quarrel in a straw
>When honour's at the stake.
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/09/2007 05:48 AM CDT
Ahh, I see. It's a problem with difference between end-ish game and where I have been stuck at for 9+ years. Makes sense. Though I like the combination of Paladin AS and Truehand with a claid. It takes alot less effort to kill something when you can stun it when it's in defensive.

-Falicor

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/10/2007 04:40 AM CDT
On a side note, get a lance, train up your summoning lore, cast Arm of Arkati and swing your lance with a +26% DF modifier.
This makes for a weapon that sits in a class all by itself.

Aeleth Sumuath
Fist of Kai
For honor, pride, and glory.
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/10/2007 02:18 PM CDT
"On a side note, get a lance, train up your summoning lore, cast Arm of Arkati and swing your lance with a +26% DF modifier.
This makes for a weapon that sits in a class all by itself." -- GietlM3

Start with a perfect lance... :)

Voraviel "They [demons] are only vulnerable to 7x weapons, and..."
Krakii "8x."
Voraviel "Isn't it 7x?"
Krakii "Pretty sure it's 8x."
Voraviel "Hell, I'm the designer and I'll go with what you said."

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/10/2007 02:21 PM CDT
>Start with a perfect lance... :) ~Krakii

Not entirely possible right now since a lance glyph has never been released. Best one could do is a perfect awl-pike.

~Gordd

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/11/2007 05:58 PM CDT
A perfect awl-pike, if I remember right, is basically the equivalent to a heavily damage weighted lance (DF-wise).

-Adam
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/11/2007 06:33 PM CDT
comparisons of DF:

weapon unarmored leather rigid chain plate
Awl-Pike .600 .550 .575 .450 .350
Lance .725* .525 .550 .475 .350
Perfect awl-pike .636 .583* .609* .477* .371*

and AvD:
weapon unarmored leather rigid chain plate
Awl-Pike 15 20 19 18 17 35 33 31 29 45 41 37 33 50 44 38 32
Lance 35 38 37 36 35 39 37 35 33 53 49 45 41 50 44 38 32
Perfect awl-pike 18 23 22 21 20 38 36 34 32 48 44 40 36 53 47 41 35

--Xanus, have fun wit dat
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/14/2007 05:48 PM CDT
>I got a new flare for polearms only coming to EG.

Seeing as I'll not be at EG, I'll pay top dollar for someone to have some flares added to a few of my current ones, or grab some new ones for me. Email me at play.net :)

~Imaera's Favorite
~Polepaths don't go hunting...Polepaths go killing.
~The sprite sneers, "Yeah, you'd better squirm, you pathetic little worm. You've met your match in Flutters, here!"
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/14/2007 10:44 PM CDT
>Seeing as I'll not be at EG, I'll pay top dollar for someone to have some flares added to a few of my current ones, or grab some new ones for me. Email me at play.net :)

Well, you'd be in third position but odds are fairly certain I'll be stalking Khal's merchants pretty hard. But you'd be third on the list so up to you if you can't find anyone else.

~Gordd

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/16/2007 12:13 PM CDT
Put me down then. I'll keep looking, but 3-down on the list is better than no shot at all. Thanks!

~Imaera's Favorite
~Polepaths don't go hunting...Polepaths go killing.
~The sprite sneers, "Yeah, you'd better squirm, you pathetic little worm. You've met your match in Flutters, here!"
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/16/2007 12:26 PM CDT
Just shoot an email to my play.net and we'll see about meeting up to pick up whatever polearms you got for me to try. Don't worry, I'll have PLENTY of room.

~Gordd

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/17/2007 11:39 PM CDT
Might want to reconsider that in light of recent developments. No idea what'll happen to those merchants without a puppeteer behind them...

Richard
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/17/2007 11:52 PM CDT
Yeah....can't say that I'm so certain about going to EG now. Challenge Pits and Khal's merchants are two of the main draws for me. I may just be to shocked at the moment to be really thinking this one clearly but...

~Gordd

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/18/2007 11:19 AM CDT
If it's any consolation GMs have stated they are working out ways to get Khal's merchants in, at least the ones hes promised i'm sure (so that means polearm flares)

--Xanus, needs the forged weapon merchant anyways
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 10/18/2007 11:51 AM CDT
>If it's any consolation GMs have stated they are working out ways to get Khal's merchants in, at least the ones hes promised i'm sure (so that means polearm flares)

True, however not all GM's follow Khal's rules/beliefs of restricting services to only those who can use polearms. Sure, it's more then a few assumptions on my part but a primary reason for my going to EG are Khal's merchants, Challenge Pits, and long long long ago, that stupid bar with the gem in it that people said could be stolen if one was lucky (if you failed, which you did, you got nailed to the wall by the bartender with hurled daggers....may have been the first instance of hurling in GS as well).

Unless some solid guarantees that ALL of Khal's promised/proposed services will be available as he promised/proposed...coupled with not having some of the other things I like from EG to begin with...well...

~Gordd

Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 04/20/2009 03:09 PM CDT
I'd really really like to get my krol-skulled vultite pike some flares, since I'm leaving voln. Although I suppose I should enchant it up to 7x. How much does that cost, anyway?
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 04/21/2009 02:21 AM CDT
Between 7 and 14 million to go from 4x to 7x.

Salim

>>Who is John Galt?
Re: What are some good lances I should try to buy? 04/21/2009 11:22 AM CDT
Right, so it'll be a while.