Are any of these skills required? 03/23/2007 10:46 AM CDT
When using polearms is it necessasary to also train in CM, MOC and or Brawling? Could you explain the benefits in training in any of the above as well? Also, I'm not sure if I'll be joining a society, so I wanted to know how I could boost up my defense skills, since I don't use a shield.
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/23/2007 11:48 AM CDT
When using polearms is it necessasary to also train in CM, MOC and or Brawling? Could you explain the benefits in training in any of the above as well? Also, I'm not sure if I'll be joining a society, so I wanted to know how I could boost up my defense skills, since I don't use a shield.

CM is necessary to increase AS, have access to maneuvers themselves, extra defense against maneuvers.

MOC grants you the ability to attack multiple opponents at once, grants you less DS loss from facing multiple opponents, and has other added effects outside of polearm weapons.

Brawling does nothing for polearm users outside of giving you extra DS if you are disarmed of you polearm.

Increasing your DS will hinge heavily on spells, Dodge ranks, your AGI stat and many other factors.

Zephore O'Dane - Dunespire@aol.com

Carabele's Lore Benefits Summation Chart at...
http://carabele.com/odds/LoreBenefits.htm

Krakiipedia at...
http://www.krakiipedia.org

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository at...
http://www.nilandia.com
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/23/2007 11:55 AM CDT

Every two ranks of CM gives you +1 AS. It also gives you cman ranks to put into various skills, and there are a few nice ones for pole armers, (trip, charge etc...) .

You didn't state what class you are, it varies greatly on what you want to do. A lot of bards and such have to skimp on them if they are more magical oriented then physical. or visa versa.

MOC helps in a number of ways. When being in a room with more then one unfriendly your DS will drop. With every 5 ranks in MOC this will counteract 1 baddie. Somewhat trivial unless theres an invasion or you plan on toughing it out in swarms : (
It also gives you extra swings, vs the room or a single opponent using the MSTRIKE command. The GS4 website has good documentaion for this, you might wanna check there.
Nothing like using a lance and swinging at three critters in the room, granted your going to get huge RT.

Brawling,... if yer a warrior I'd suggest brawling if yer going to use voln Fu. it is a VERY nice skill. Also when you have nothing in yer hands Brawling helps in the DS department.

Polearms are a very good choice. not a lot of folks use them, so it is usually pretty easy to find one. Most polearms do a great deal of damage from piercing attacks, but fu can be used on undead that are immune to this.

I'll stop rambling now. If I am off on any of this please correct me, but good luck with whatever choices you make!

-Barjin B.
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/23/2007 12:22 PM CDT
>>With every 5 ranks in MOC this will counteract 1 baddie. <<

I believe it's 10 ranks to totally counteract the FoF effect of one extra opponent; 5 ranks reduces the effect of the second foe by half, if I recall.
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/23/2007 12:44 PM CDT
Lol. Misinformation you got on MOC.. More detailed information you can find here at http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Opponent_Combat

Also about CM, you forgot one thing. it increases your defense against maneuver attacks from critters as well so its good way to improve your defense.. Dodge would be factored into maneuver defense someday.

Student of "Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu"
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/23/2007 04:54 PM CDT
>>With every 5 ranks in MOC this will counteract 1 baddie. <<

>I believe it's 10 ranks to totally counteract the FoF effect of one extra opponent; 5 ranks reduces the effect of the second foe by half, if I recall.

Its actually every time you gain a swing. So for the first 5 ranks then at 15 then 35 and then every 25 ranks after that. It also only depends on if the critter swings at you too. So if there are 2 things in the room and 3 friends and you only get attaced by one of the critters you don't have to worry about your DS going down.

But for the original question. I would get as much CM as you can. It will increase your AS for killing critters faster and if you really wanted DS there is a manuver called Combat Movement that will add 2 DS for every rank you have in it so you can gain 10 DS that way. Then the rest just depends on how much you train in Dodge and if you max out your pole arm skill. As well as spell training. Also using a pole arm that can be used in two hands and making sure you have it in two hands should help as well.

That hurling half-krolvin ~H2K~
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/23/2007 07:29 PM CDT
>Its actually every time you gain a swing. So for the first 5 ranks then at 15 then 35 and then every 25 ranks after that.

The information on Krakiipedia is correct: 10 ranks, 25, 45, and every 25 thereafter.

-Anathemus' player
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/24/2007 01:50 AM CDT
<<The information on Krakiipedia is correct: 10 ranks, 25, 45, and every 25 thereafter.

That's what I remember.

Speaking to you, Orristo says, "Yer real good at runnin' yer mouth . . ."

You say, "Thanks, I excel at that."

-- dan/gnimble "cacophonous composer"
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/24/2007 12:02 PM CDT
Odd; I sort of recall reading somewhere the FoF effect reduction ran a bit different from the extra target effects of MOC training. Bah, I'll probably never be able to find it again.
Re: Are any of these skills required? 03/24/2007 01:13 PM CDT
It is different. Defensive (integral) benefits are slightly after unfocused strikes, rankwise.

-Anathemus' player