I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 01:24 PM CDT
...crawlers GENNING underground with a maneuver attack is unfair, unfun, and plain stupid game design.

Please fix it.

~Jim/Tk
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 01:40 PM CDT

Oh good, it happened again. That makes hunting REALLY freaking fun...
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 02:08 PM CDT

Another pair of suggestions to go along with the PF advice you received in the cleric folder, ask a warrior for slash resist on your armor or buy a crit padded helm, or both. It made a substantial difference for me hunting on 4.
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 02:42 PM CDT

Slash resist is a great idea, thanks for that suggestion. I realize fully that I can mitigate the maneuver damage and impact through training, etc. It's not about that, it's about the fact that it's horrendous design that I don't even have an option of using my skills (and or retreating) from the threat. That thing burrows during a battle I have lots of ways to mitigate through action (if I have time to and am not otherwise incapacitated). When it gens under me, I have no option but to hope for the best, which is ludicrous.

I have been wracking my brain extensively and I can't come up with a single other critter that gens as a maneuver attack. Are there any? Not that gen, pause and possible use a maneuver, but literally gen as a maneuver?

Jim/Tk
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 03:01 PM CDT
>>Not that gen, pause and possible use a maneuver, but literally gen as a maneuver?<<

Krynches in the bowels can enter the room with their rolling attack; griffins in OTF can enter and cause fear; although technically they have to enter the room first, it occurs i8mmediately.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 03:18 PM CDT

<<Krynches in the bowels can enter the room with their rolling attack; griffins in OTF can enter and cause fear; although technically they have to enter the room first, it occurs i8mmediately.
>>

Entering the room from another room that way, or genning that way?
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 03:25 PM CDT
Griffins gen with a diving screech. Giant hawk-owls do the same at a significantly lower level. Roa'ters gen with a similar maneuver to rift crawlers.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 03:44 PM CDT
>>Entering the room from another room that way, or genning that way?<<

Hmm, no way to know unless you peered into an adjacent room, saw a krynch and then had it roll at you, then later found the peered room empty. It really doesn't make that much difference, since you can't do anything about it in either case; the maneuver occurs immediately upon its appearance in your room.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 03:44 PM CDT
Are you sure Roa'ters gen underground? I hunted them extensively and they never did before.

That one I can see as being comparable if so, as it's actually a maneuver that can kill, whereas screeches are not a direct death dealer.
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 04:03 PM CDT
>Are you sure Roa'ters gen underground?

They do when I've spawned them in invasions, so I'd say it is a safe bet that they can in a hunting area too.'

Not confirming or denying anything.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 09:05 PM CDT
I can't say that I've ever seen a rift crawler gen underground. Ever.

Not saying it isn't possible, just saying I can almost always count on seeing it above ground. It will usually gen by crawling into a room.

Doug
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 10:28 PM CDT

<<I can't say that I've ever seen a rift crawler gen underground. Ever.

Not saying it isn't possible, just saying I can almost always count on seeing it above ground. It will usually gen by crawling into a room.

Doug>>

They definitely gen underground. I pop out of a sanct with a clean plane and they immediately gen if I'm in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Jim/Tk
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/03/2012 10:29 PM CDT
Crawlers and roa'ters both spawn burrow. Roa'ters were updated to do so shortly after crawlers were released.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/04/2012 01:48 AM CDT
Yeah the insta-gen-deaths suck. Find me and I'll put some slash protection on your armor. That will help some. If you can squeeze in some extra PF training, or even better, train away some or all of your armor maneuver penalty, that will help too.

Kerl
Re: I will say this again, from 5 years ago... 10/08/2012 11:38 AM CDT
I -LOVE- when this happens, too :S Slash protection on heavily crit padded doubles has worked wonders. I know the padding is easier said than done, but it's well worth it. You can also stack armor support on to slash protection (and other general specializations onto damage specializations http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Armor_Specialization).