Divine Providence 03/06/2018 04:53 PM CST
Just an idea that was rolling around in my head. I thought would be pretty flavorful for Paladins:

Divine Providence
Description: The Deity controls your destiny.
Mechanics: Any combat resolution that would kill the character instead teleports the character to the shrine (i.e. Major Sanctuary) of their CONVERT status. Duration is 10 minutes. Upon leaving the shrine, the player will be subject to the exact same attack (same d100 roll so open rolls will stick) that would have killed them. However, the character may now have any number of buffs present to help ward off the attack. Need DS? Cast Wall of Force, move to defensive stance, then exit the shrine. Need TD? Cast Faith Shield then exit the shrine. Need Resistance? Use INCARNATE AMROR. Maneuvered while prone? Stand up, exit shrine. The player may heal up, tend wounds, eat herbs, whatever, during the 10 minutes.

This would essentially provide the character with more flexibility than the emergency use of INCARNATE ARMOR. Reinforces flavor of the Paladin is the fated frontline fighter of their deity. With a duration of 10 minutes, the 1650 cooldown will expire and the character can use INCARNATE ARMOR, if they're willing to wait that long.

This can only trigger once every hour +/- lore? Maybe a huge or capstone lore requirement to unlock the ability? Independent of spells known? Maybe tie this into 1640 uses a day? I'd personally rather see an evoke version of 1640 that unleashes a miniature Divine Vengeance on the current room + adjacent rooms, consuming one use of 1640. For many, including myself, 1640 is a dead spell slot.

Say, you're walking through Plane5 of the rift, move from one room to the next and immediately get voided and insta-killed without even seeing the room text finish scrolling. There wasn't an emergency situation. You were simply there one moment and in the Icemule Town Square the next. Divine Providence would help for that very situation and would help expand the use of INCARNATE ARMOR.

Thoughts?
Re: Divine Providence 03/07/2018 08:42 AM CST
How do you have a re-created 'combat resolution' when the creature doing the attack got waxed by the Paladin's party members moments after he scampered off (Brave Brave Brave Sir Robin!) to the Sanctuary? What, exactly, is doing the attack?
Re: Divine Providence 03/07/2018 06:01 PM CST
Excellent question.

The creature is exiled when the player teleports away similar to when a player exits the game while in combat with a creature, then when the player comes back the creature "returns to the fray!" and initiates the previous attack. Also has the benefit of reusing the slam/fray code.

So when the Paladin decides to clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop back into reality, they're then faced with the attack.