Beacon of Courage (1608) Question/Request 01/19/2018 08:49 AM CST
Does Beacon of Courage have a TD pushdown associated with the spell? I don't see one listed on the Wiki. If not, i'd like to make the case that it be added. The spell is niche use and increases the danger to the Paladin. To me, it makes sense that it have a significant chance of success when in use, even when uphunting. The higher level the creatures being targeted, the more risk the Paladin assumes. Ideally, there would be a base TD pushdown which does not require any additional training. The pushdown could be further heightened by whichever lore is deemed appropriate.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Beacon of Courage (1608) Question/Request 01/19/2018 10:02 AM CST
Since as a Bard I have access to two different TD-reducing spells (Depression/1015, and Saturation/413), I still think that any spell which inflicts a TD penalty after it's laid on...
...should get it's own penalty for the attempt to lay it on.

Basically, if it's a crap-shoot to hit with a warding spell that costs in the mid-teens for mana--say, 75% chance to hit--odds are that I'm better off just trying for damage outright rather than laying down a Saturation first, and then (assuming that it hit) having a 100% chance with the remainder.
(And I say that after looking back at my attempts at Depression these last ten days or so, where I've got a notional 75-80% chance of hitting a treekin druid, and about half the time I have to spend 3 or 4 attempts to beat a lousy warding roll. Whereas the warriors, against whom I cannot fail except for 1==FUMBLE, I seem to roll mostly but 80+ on the d100.)
Re: Beacon of Courage (1608) Question/Request 01/19/2018 12:17 PM CST
Krakii - I don't think you understand the spell or the request here.

Here is what 1608 does:
The Paladin glows brightly as he becomes the sanctioned target of his foes. All creatures and non-grouped characters in the area are subject to a warding roll and if they fail, will only target the Paladin and not other characters when attacking. The Paladin also will ignore Force on Force mechanics for at least one additional target, the number of targets increasing based on Spiritual Lore, Blessings.

I believe the request is to make it easier for the paladin to entice targets to attack only the Paladin (through a TD modifier when the spell is cast only). Not to inflict an on-going TD penalty after the spell is cast.

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Beacon of Courage (1608) Question/Request 01/19/2018 12:38 PM CST
Ah!

You are correct, I was thinking this was a TD-penalty spell. (I mostly solo, so "hit me, hit me!" is pretty much always on...)

Then--on a completely different tangent from the discussion about Bacon of Courage/1608--I repeat my sentiment that TD-penalty spells (of which Bacon is definitely NOT one!) should benefit from their own effect when being cast... <cough>
Re: Beacon of Courage (1608) Question/Request 01/19/2018 02:22 PM CST
Ah! I must have glossed over that one; thanks!
(Since the Bard is using Mana Control ranks to get free 'mana spellup', he gets a nice bump there.)

However, I was referring to "This spell gives -25 TD for future spells, after it hits. When casting this spell, the targets TD is at -25 (because pushdown)."
For any spell that gives a TD penalty. (So, Saturation & Depression, and... ??)
Re: Beacon of Courage (1608) Question/Request 01/19/2018 02:23 PM CST
Guarded stance Curse (715) also lowers TD, but it is a 100% chance, no warding roll.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"