Paladin spell updates. 09/13/2017 02:30 PM CDT
Seeing as Irma has declined to sweep me out to sea, I thought I might check up on our spells.

With the new 1625 is there any talk to be had on adjusting it post W/P/S changes? The overall effectiveness of everyone against the undead has just gone up and paladins are now not the only melee class able to use weighted weapons against them. I realize it was an original intent to make us pick between flares or weighting on a sancted weapon but the whole system has shifted. Now a paladin picking a heavy weighted weapon on the undead has exactly the same abilities as any random not-paladin doing so. We're now a holy class with one less unique ability to work on the undead. If it cannot be OKed for paladin flares to count as a permanent effect, can something else be done to make us once again stand out in the holy warrior role? DS pushdown, DF boost, natural weighting, undead sensing bubble flares...

Second to that, any word on 1650? We are about six weeks out of the- hoped but not promised so not trying to complain- two month time frame without any clues. If details are not ready, can we at least get a general idea of what sort of spell you guys have cooking up? A bunch of ideas got posted here and even just knowing which ones inspired the spell would be exciting news.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Paladin spell updates. 09/13/2017 08:27 PM CDT
Seconding, what Menos said regarding 1625. I understand paladins didn't technically lose anything and other professions gained with the wps changes, but I too feel that paladins did lost a bit of uniqueness with other classes being able to now bless weighted weapons.

Could a compromise possibly be that paladins lose the SECOND flare chance when using a weighted weapon with 1625? Or even requiring blessing lore to allow flares too (40 ranks of blessing for flares to become active maybe)? 40 ranks of lore on a paladin requires a definite choice to be made prior to cap; you're going to give up something to get that lore.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Paladin spell updates. 09/17/2017 01:24 AM CDT

First, glad to see you're still with us Menos-
Second, I agree.

I shared the same concern at simucon after hearing the news and approached Wyrom about this after the official announcement. The conversation went something like this. (VERY ABBREVIATED)

Me: "I really feel like our unique ability to use weighted weapons to fight undead is being taken away from us. I'd really like to see something like this... IF a paladin is bonding to a weighted weapon, they get phantom weighting added, as a bonus for being a holy warrior and bonding to the weapon. say... 1 point per bond rank?"
Wyrom: "I see your point. I really like that idea."

I have faith that we are being listened to and this is somewhat a work in progress. Love the changes so far, hate the mystery behind the new numbers for 1604/1625.

For the record, i'd very much prefer a point of weighting on a weapon per bonded rank if it's already weighted and lose the plasma flares on weighted weapons completely. Some of us choose not to have the flares for one reason or another (Bowels gas pockets for example) anyway.

~Nairdin
Re: Paladin spell updates. 09/20/2017 07:54 PM CDT
Been another week, seemed like a good time to bump this thread.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Paladin spell updates. 09/21/2017 02:01 PM CDT
With the new 1625 is there any talk to be had on adjusting it post W/P/S changes? The overall effectiveness of everyone against the undead has just gone up and paladins are now not the only melee class able to use weighted weapons against them. I realize it was an original intent to make us pick between flares or weighting on a sancted weapon but the whole system has shifted. Now a paladin picking a heavy weighted weapon on the undead has exactly the same abilities as any random not-paladin doing so. We're now a holy class with one less unique ability to work on the undead. If it cannot be OKed for paladin flares to count as a permanent effect, can something else be done to make us once again stand out in the holy warrior role? DS pushdown, DF boost, natural weighting, undead sensing bubble flares...

I just popped in to say that I saw your questions and am not actively ignoring them, however, I don't have any real answers for you at this point. Some things are coming down the pipe that may change your feelings of your weapons "being diminished," or not.

My advice is that if you feel 1625 needs improvement then having open discussions on the topic is always the best approach - regardless of what may be happening behind the scenes. You never know when pointing out a particular shortfall in a spell or a really great suggestion will occur in discussion and inspire change.

Viduus
Re: Paladin spell updates. 09/21/2017 02:19 PM CDT
Since you asked....

I think it's nice to have the guiding light flares on a weighted weapon, however; I feel like it's too weak - hence why I chose to put greater void flares upon my infamous 8x two handed katana. The damage alone made it very worthwhile as opposed to before where I was lucky to get even 10 points of damage from guiding light flares. I don't know if that was the intent or not, but it's just an observation from what occurred at first with my paladin. I feel like the guiding flares could use a boost to encourage us to use them, but otherwise as of right now I don't really use them. On the other hand, that's just another good reason that purify / guiding light were combined into one spell so at least it's not an unused slot.

Crusade still works well.

I'm still curious and hopeful to see some teasers of 1650.... (and yes, I've retrained my paladin to know 1650 though it's not here yet)

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!