Hunting 05/04/2011 07:52 AM CDT
I've been hanging around the skeletal giants, getting decent hunts out of them, but the storm giants easily put a hamper on a trip. They.are also VERY poor. What are some good places to earn experience and a decent coin for my range. Staying at the landing isn't necessary, but would like to avoid nations unless its very worth it. Cost of living for a human over there is pretty high.

Oh, sword and board, level 29 almost 30. 3x in armor, 2x in shield, 1x in paly spells (none of the 100's yet).
Re: Hunting 05/04/2011 11:02 AM CDT
I'd try Darkstone (lesser gargoyles a bit easy now, maybe wait to mid 30s for gargoyles) in the landing.
In Icemule, start on farmhands, and then work your way up through the giants.
In Zul, the troll burial grounds.
In RR, spectral warriors.

Shield and plate build works fine on all of those and they have enough other disadvantages (spell stripping, cold, isolation etc.) that they usually have decent loot.
Re: Hunting 05/04/2011 06:28 PM CDT
Those Farmhands have a crazy DS, ~218-225 in offensive so far! Might have to try something I can limb more reliably for a tid-bit.
Re: Hunting 05/05/2011 06:13 AM CDT
The DS sounds right but I don't remember having trouble legging them. Is your weapon fully bonded yet? Maybe STR bonus (mine would have been about 35 then) or society powers (I would have had courage running) is the difference.

Do you have any other knockdowns? I did use sbash on them, but my memory is that the amb leg, amb head combo worked fine. They are pretty squishy once you get past that DS.
Re: Hunting 05/05/2011 06:34 AM CDT
I liked RR at those levels. The forest followed soon by the stuff out on the bay.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Hunting 05/05/2011 07:25 AM CDT
Hunter trolls were good to me at that level. You're a bit above a cyclops, but it's reachable quickly from the Landing. Icemule was where I spent my thirties.
Re: Hunting 05/05/2011 07:25 AM CDT
No, I'm not yet fully bonded yet. I'm not at my home computer to check STR but I know my AS is around the 245 range, which doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. My only other KD choice is shieldbash at rank 1, but its not sanctified to affect the undead. I'll give it another go tonight and see what the result is.
Re: Hunting 05/05/2011 10:03 AM CDT
I am working off about 295 AS at level 30 (2x blunt 164, 1x CM 16, Patrons Blessing CM 12, bonding 10, 4x star 20, STR 35, courage 26, wspec 2, dauntless 10).

You are going to find things harder to hit than I did. Try some of the suggestions others have made instead. I was suggesting the ones I thought had better loot, but maybe they had better loot because it took a big AS to hunt them.

There is usually a cleric in Icemule who can bless your shield (unless it has flares, then you won't be able to use it on undead). I don't hold out too much hope for Rank 1 and uphunting though its always worth trying out your options on a new critter.
Re: Hunting 05/05/2011 10:23 AM CDT
1604 should work on the shield, if you have the mana to cast it that much. At 1x spells I should hope you do.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Hunting 05/05/2011 11:03 AM CDT
>1604 should work on the shield

I have never tried that out. Do you lose it the same way you lose a bless charge when the critter swings?
Re: Hunting 05/05/2011 12:01 PM CDT
>1604 should work on the shield

I have never tried that out. Do you lose it the same way you lose a bless charge when the critter swings?

Most shields are blessable, so using 1604 on it will just temper it for a cast of 304 (and not bless it for 1 use).

His is probably blessable, so the 1604 idea won't work, but he can always get it blessed.

Dgry