Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/12/2010 11:52 PM CDT
Friends,

Since I just gained 25 ranks of Religion, and since I had some free time tonight before the work week begins, I hunted fog beetles and chieftains in Teras using my bonded maul, and 1615 when 1-on-1 with fog beetles.

First note: hunting without 1615 is quicker. Tonight's hunt lasted longer than any of my other hunts of beetles and chieftains, though I did have two spetacular kills after forcing beetles to kneel. But all in all, letting my maul do the talking seems more effective than 1615.

I rushed to 1630 (for Bonding and Judgement) and mbp (using our recent fixskills). Then I rushed to 25 ranks of Relgiion. Now I'm rushing to full plate armor (150 ranks).

I'm guessing that 1615 will become more useful when I have more mana to spare (I 1x HP). I couldn't cast 1615 every time I caught a fog beetle alone, because I didn't have enough mana.

-Cuttak/Ulaahn
-LizardClan
AIM: LizardClan1
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/13/2010 06:49 AM CDT
I'm guessing that 1615 will become more useful when I have more mana to spare (I 1x HP). I couldn't cast 1615 every time I caught a fog beetle alone, because I didn't have enough mana.

-Cuttak/Ulaahn

You just discovered what I posted earlier on this subject. I've 300 mana and casting 1615 on every solo creature is still a waste. I'd rather use my mana for 1607, 1614, 1619, 1630, 117, and recasting dispelled spells. Feinting/aimed attack is the way to go, in my opinion. There are exceptions, feint resistant and highly crittable creatures, but for the most part they're few and far between.

Dgry
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/14/2010 02:42 AM CDT
>>There are exceptions, feint resistant and highly crittable creatures, but for the most part they're few and far between.

I can only think of one creature that fits this, triton radicals in Nelemar.

>>Feinting/aimed attack is the way to go, in my opinion. There are exceptions, feint resistant and highly crittable creatures, but for the most part they're few and far between.

While I don't have a paladin myself, I've hunted with a fair number and this is what they normally do while hunting. 1615 and 1630 are only used against multiple targets and only when needed, or if they are running around with a lot of mana they might use it just because.
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/14/2010 10:30 AM CDT
>>There are exceptions, feint resistant and highly crittable creatures, but for the most part they're few and far between.

I can only think of one creature that fits this, triton radicals in Nelema

I suppose I should clarify the above. There are paladins in there rift on plane 5 that are nearly immune to feint because their resistance is so high - your mileage will vary at different levels when it comes to square type creatures based on your training. There are flyers that opening with 1615 is the better way to go. Then there are the highly crittable things like lunatics, ithzir, etc where using 1615 is more likely than not to kill it on a single cast. In those situations it's nice to use 1615, for all others it's better to use feint.

Dgry
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/14/2010 10:31 AM CDT
plane 5 - should be plane 4
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/18/2010 02:52 PM CDT
I've yet to learn feint because I'm trying to get get surge to level 5. I haven't yet been able to double in CMANs yet but I'm going to starting next training. What spell would you store in your bonded weapon? The problem (as I agree fully with you farmer) is that's it's too random to rely on, so I don't rely on it hence why I chose the extra damage.

How much faint should one learn after reading all of the posts of it? And yes, you are quite right about 1607, but at the same time we can only have so deep of a wound. A couple of times I was bleeding too badly in the Rift and kept getting hit in the chest and shortly after 28 bleeder (i couldnt flee bc I was stuck in RT) I died though I had the health to live. I do agree with this logic of it, but that's the problem when it comes to getting "nicked" one piece at a time even with 1607. I should have been more clear on that so my apolagies :-)

Thoughts? I'm wondering now if faint is why I struggle sometimes when facing multiple mobs after reading this. Yes.. I'm a noob when it comes cmans since I'm not us to them yet because I was a cleric before :P
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/18/2010 04:07 PM CDT
Considering that the first rank of surge gives you the most bang for your buck (TPs), I never bother to learn more than 1 ranks of this CM skill. +8 to weapon AS for 1 ranks, and +2 for all the rest, with increasing TP costs? Maybe if you are an archer where RT depends on strength, but other than that, I can't see it.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/18/2010 04:17 PM CDT
>I've yet to learn feint because I'm trying to get get surge to level 5

I'd stick to 4 ranks due to the Cman cost.

>How much faint should one learn after reading all of the posts of it?

I suggest get to 3 ranks before you start relying on it. I find that 3 ranks is the point where it's worth the stamina cost and works more than it doesn't.

>Thoughts? I'm wondering now if faint is why I struggle sometimes when facing multiple mobs after reading this.

If you're running out of mana and unable to cast your spells in swarms, then this will definitely help. Another thing I suggest is getting enough MoC ranks to hit 2 targets (I want to say it's 10 now). Plus, it'll help with Force on Force, so your DS won't take as much of a hit, and you won't be plinked as much.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/18/2010 05:16 PM CDT
<<Another thing I suggest is getting enough MoC ranks to hit 2 targets (I want to say it's 10 now). Plus, it'll help with Force on Force, so your DS won't take as much of a hit, and you won't be plinked as much.

If you're talking about two different targets, it's still 5 ranks. However, you won't receive the first FoF reduction until 10 ranks.

~Mikoguchi Chydenar; Jackal Corps
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/18/2010 05:20 PM CDT
>If you're talking about two different targets, it's still 5 ranks. However, you won't receive the first FoF reduction until 10 ranks.
~Mikoguchi

Ah. I knew it changed somehow. Never really looked at it closely. Good to know.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/19/2010 12:16 AM CDT
FoF is also one of the few things where you don't have oe hit a threshold for it to be useful. Even with five ranks you only get 1/2 the penalty for having two attackers.
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/19/2010 03:18 PM CDT

Usually mana isn't an issue when I hunt despite only training 1x per training UNLESS I'm constantly getting stunned which really only happens when I'm fighting four or more minos if they decide to charge or so something else that can stun me. It's a real pita when they do it when I get caught using zealot. Maybe one day Divine Shield will change to something more useful so those of us who don't use shields have another option.

When it comes to turtling casters, if I'm not able to hit them then I just flee from them unless I'm able to make them kneel with a 1615. I haven't stumbled across a caster yet that I haven't been able to hit... yet.

If your curious, here's the training thus far that seems to work overall for me excecpt in the case when I get swarmed over by four or more (or in some cases I'm about to finish one or two off and another two come in)

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 250 150
Combat Maneuvers...................| 173 73
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 246 146
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 246 146
Dodging............................| 173 73
Arcane Symbols.....................| 58 12
Magic Item Use.....................| 58 12
Harness Power......................| 173 73
Spirit Mana Control................| 74 16
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 90 20
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 45 9
Perception.........................| 120 30
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 140 40
First Aid..........................| 173 73

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 20

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 35

Cmans currently have: Surge (almost rank 4) and WspecI for my Blade

I'm likely going to get more MoC soon just because I would like to get a fourth focussed strike. Armor: I decided to keep at 150 ranks because I'd rather get the other useful skills such as scrolls, and some magic item use (not much more) and then focus on either using the extra points to catch up quicker on Cmans or focus them on possibly learning the raising spell because of RP reasons (mainly b/c clerics seem to be short lately at Sol and other places lately and my paladin feels bad that he can't raise them)

Comments / Suggestions?

"I beg to differ, infant. We're on quite intimate terms unless you can prove otherwise."
Re: Hunting 1-on-1 w/ 1615 and 25 ranks Religion 09/19/2010 06:40 PM CDT
<<Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 90 20
<<Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 45 9

I'd bump these up to 25/10 respectively. Unless you're using an enhancive you didn't mention.

~Mikoguchi Chydenar; Jackal Corps