Open aiming 04/29/2010 12:50 AM CDT
I'm currently playing a level 26 TWH Paladin. Normally, I hunt cyclopses, but if I can get some outside spells I go to skeletal/storm giants. I'm noticing that when my swing happens to hit the critter's head it's generally a death crit, and it's got me thinking about putting some ambush into my training. If I'm 1x in CMAN right now, does anyone have any idea how much combined ambush/CMAN would be required to regularly hit heads/necks with a maul? Even a reasonable guess would be helpful.

Also, I'll be getting focused mstrike in 3 levels. The RT for this would be only 1 second slower than an open ambush to the head. What do people think about the merits of focused mstrike as a substitute for open aiming, as far as getting fast kills goes?

Trying to decide if I should stop at 30 or 35 ranks of MOC, or even drop it back to 15 ranks, and put the rest into ambush. Any help is appreciated.
Re: Open aiming 04/29/2010 01:20 AM CDT
I'm currently playing a level 26 TWH Paladin. Normally, I hunt cyclopses, but if I can get some outside spells I go to skeletal/storm giants. I'm noticing that when my swing happens to hit the critter's head it's generally a death crit, and it's got me thinking about putting some ambush into my training. If I'm 1x in CMAN right now, does anyone have any idea how much combined ambush/CMAN would be required to regularly hit heads/necks with a maul? Even a reasonable guess would be helpful.

Also, I'll be getting focused mstrike in 3 levels. The RT for this would be only 1 second slower than an open ambush to the head. What do people think about the merits of focused mstrike as a substitute for open aiming, as far as getting fast kills goes?

Trying to decide if I should stop at 30 or 35 ranks of MOC, or even drop it back to 15 ranks, and put the rest into ambush. Any help is appreciated.

In my opinion, training in ambush before cap is a waste of points. You'd be better served getting 35 MO and putting the points into getting additional CM. For open ambushing CM and ambush are weighted the same, and after around 80 ranks of CM you won't miss much. Open ambushing is good to do while your mstrike is in recovery, so there's really no reason to have to choose between ambush and MO, get them both.

Dgry
Re: Open aiming 04/29/2010 02:20 AM CDT
> In my opinion, training in ambush before cap is a waste of points. You'd be better served getting 35 MO and putting the points into getting additional CM. For open ambushing CM and ambush are weighted the same, and after around 80 ranks of CM you won't miss much. Open ambushing is good to do while your mstrike is in recovery, so there's really no reason to have to choose between ambush and MO, get them both.

I agree with going with MOC in this situation. However, you will definitely fail to find openings with 80 ranks CM and no ambush. I failed to find openings on small critters with a onehanded weapon, 120 CM and 20 ambush. Smashing in the heads of giants you just knocked down is a LOT easier than opening with a head shot against a small critter.
Re: Open aiming 04/29/2010 02:19 PM CDT
I agree with going with MOC in this situation. However, you will definitely fail to find openings with 80 ranks CM and no ambush. I failed to find openings on small critters with a onehanded weapon, 120 CM and 20 ambush. Smashing in the heads of giants you just knocked down is a LOT easier than opening with a head shot against a small critter.

This is probably true. When I was coming up small critters couldn't be targetted (me being a giant), so I didn't need excessive ambush/CM training to offset the huge penalty that now exists.

That being said, I'd still opt to put the points in CM over ambush. You'll only get half as many points for the open ambush formula, but you'll get increased AS and more CMAN points, versus a slightly better chance at open aiming.

Dgry