Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 11:08 AM CST
Im terribly bored with my paladin, and Ive been rolling ideas around for sometime to make him a little more interesting. However, as we all know the powers that be seem to want to corral us into a pretty narrow training path in terms of choices.

So I came up with an odd build and I wanted some input, on how viable it might be. Here goes:

2x armor
2x brawling
2x thrown
2x shield
1x pt
.75x harness power
.75x spells

Im also looking at putting in enough CM for ranks in Feint and open handed disarm mastery. A mixture of Voln fu and throwing a bonded weapon is what Im lookin for here. Im thinking I would probably use a sai as a weapon.
I didnt include the obligatory ranks of climbing and swimming, as well as ranks for Religion, but theyre all in the plan as well. At 47 trainings I was able to get this stuff somewhat close to whats listed above.

Tell me what you think.
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 11:22 AM CST
Oops i forgot to put 2x perception on there as well!
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 03:38 PM CST
I can tell you what I think, but you won't care to hear it.

The biggest initial flaw I see is no CMAN training. I know our CMAN list isn't all that impressive, but 1 AS per 2 ranks is good enough reason to want to get at least some, even if it's 0.5x.

I'd reconsider training dual weapon types. As you said, and as you know, our training is too tight to be able to afford luxuries like dual weapon spec. And, in that case, I'd strongly recommend against throwing.

Brawling is viable, though.

I can't see the point of 2x perception, either. What's your reasoning on that one?
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 04:00 PM CST
>The biggest initial flaw I see is no CMAN training. I know our CMAN list isn't all that impressive, but 1 AS per 2 ranks is good enough reason to want to get at least some, even if it's 0.5x.

>I can't see the point of 2x perception, either. What's your reasoning on that one?

AS = Thrown skill + ((STR Bonus + DEX Bonus)/2) + ((Perception ranks + CM ranks*)/*4)

Perception should be doubled, and CM at least 1x, if not higher.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 04:07 PM CST
Going further, You're still going to have a chance at weapon loss, unlike the zero chance an actual returning weapon has. Plus there's the thrown update that is to occur RSN, so the throw/return property that bonding has might (and should, IMO) change.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 05:05 PM CST
The reason I skimped on CM, I didnt actually plan on swinging the weapon per say, it was for throwing, and while empty handed i still could Fu and cast til i could retrieve it. Id really like to see if I could make it work as accurately as a bow does with that much perception training. Maybe walk in, throw it, kill the first critter, resort to a couple Fu moves or some offensive casting on the next until I can retrieve it to throw again.

I know there are professions that get by without CM training, and I just want to get enough to cover training in feint, and disarm mastery.

Of course this could all be pointless come the thrown review, but hey, I thought it would be interesting to discuss. Frankly Ill do anything to rekindle my interest in my paladin.
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 05:12 PM CST
Right, I should have remembered perception is used for open thrown/ranged.

Is it me, or does Perception somehow make it into every algorithm in the game?

Hehe.
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 05:58 PM CST
> Frankly Ill do anything to rekindle my interest in my paladin.

This brings up what is in my opinion the primary problem with paladins; unless you have a tremendous amount of post-cap experience to play with, they have the choice of being very good at one thing, or being mediocre at two things. I suppose that is due in part to the extraordinary spell rank costs compared to other semis, but we have hashed that already.

I have been enjoying playing my ranger much more as he is able to have so many other facets than strait combat - skinning, foraging, imbuing, etc...
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 06:18 PM CST
Spot on Galbraitht, Ive pretty much shelved my paladin, which I really consider unfortunate, in favor of a bard.
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 06:42 PM CST
>The reason I skimped on CM, I didnt actually plan on swinging the weapon per say, it was for throwing,

I'd still suggest 1x CM, as it's cheap(ish), for the AS and CMans.

>Id really like to see if I could make it work as accurately as a bow does with that much perception training.

You'll be pretty accurate, but I doubt you'll be able to eye-shot as much as an archer.

>Maybe walk in, throw it, kill the first critter, resort to a couple Fu moves or some offensive casting on the next until I can retrieve it to throw again.

You're not going to be able to reliably kill something on the first throw. Even if you set it up with say, a shield bash and judgement cast, I'm pretty positive it won't work more than a fraction of the time.

With all that said, I would suggest you focus on brawling/shield (and don't forget the shield CMans which are stellar) with thrown as flavor, versus the other way around. It's should still allow you some fun, while not quite being the typical paladin model.

-farmer

-Strath

Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 07:44 PM CST
Brawling outside of voln fu really needs MoC or hide/ambush to be effective. As for throwing a sai, I would guess its about like throwing a dagger, I've seen it done but even against 'squishy' opponents it isn't that great, certainly do able though.
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 09:43 PM CST
>>This brings up what is in my opinion the primary problem with paladins; unless you have a tremendous amount of post-cap experience to play with, they have the choice of being very good at one thing, or being mediocre at two things. I suppose that is due in part to the extraordinary spell rank costs compared to other semis, but we have hashed that already.<<

Recently I made an excel spreadsheet with Paladin costs versus the other semis.

From what I could determine, spell training alone is what really hoses Paladin training. Our weapon/physical skills are very much cheaper than ranger/bard, but bard has such a ginormous advantage in magic skills.

If it was 0/21, I think it'd be justified for our much lower weapon cost.

Redux alone is a good enough reason to not greatly exceed singling in spells, not to mention we don't have much worth casting in great intervals (though I know Naseer was playing with getting his CS to silly levels -- at least on the unofficials that's what I saw). But so what? 1615 is not really mana efficient, and mutant builds are what gives this game flavor.

Paladins are arbitrarily much higher in misc skills too. Granted picking pockets and hiding and stalking are not Paladin "flavors." Still though, our training is pretty stiff point wise compared to the other two. Besides, if someone is a follower of Tonis or some such, why can't they have a shot at a sneaking Paladin?

Speaking of which, why doesn't chain and plate hinder hiding?

I know that's off on a tangeant but all these Rogues with super good redux in plate, sneaking and ambushing, seems a little off to me.
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 09:47 PM CST
>Speaking of which, why doesn't chain and plate hinder hiding?

>I know that's off on a tangeant but all these Rogues with super good redux in plate, sneaking and ambushing, seems a little off to me.

Don't open that can of worms...

-farmer

-Strath

Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 10:24 PM CST
<<Don't open that can of worms...

Not sure I'd call it a can of worms...

Anyway, this is the place for Paladin gripes, so I won't stick my nose in long... but speaking as a postcap plate wearing reduxed rogue that sneaks and ambushes... your assessment is off on how "good" we have it. Direct your ire against rangers and bards and pures; they unquestionably are better off.

-Grendeg
Re: Mutant paladin 02/25/2010 11:29 PM CST
>>Anyway, this is the place for Paladin gripes, so I won't stick my nose in long... but speaking as a postcap plate wearing reduxed rogue that sneaks and ambushes... your assessment is off on how "good" we have it. Direct your ire against rangers and bards and pures; they unquestionably are better off.<<

Did I say "so good"? I said it seemed off.

Because sneaking around in clanking armor seems off to me.

You'd think quiet, sneaky, and dodgy would be the way to go, yet mechanically, rogues are plate wearers.

More of a ponder than an assessment of who has it good or not.
Re: Mutant paladin 02/26/2010 01:36 AM CST
<<Because sneaking around in clanking armor seems off to me.

So does casting in it, according to the rules of the game, and paladins are pretty good at that. But that's entirely off your own topic of paladins here [grin].

-Grendeg