TD 09/23/2009 09:17 AM CDT
<<A death dirge begins to wail loudly!
The dirge wails a sad, eerie song!
A death dirge gestures at you!
CS: +47 - TD: +45 + CvA: +3 + d100: +96 == +101
Warding failed!
The death dirge focuses its voice on your twohanded sword, causing you to take several moments to regain your grip.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
A death dirge begins to wail loudly!
>remove my ring
You slide a polished gold ring off your finger.
>wear my ring
You slide the ring on your finger.
Suddenly your surroundings shift...>>

A death dirge's casting strength appears to be +47. My TD appears to be +45. My 4x studded leather armor appears to be making me vulnerable by +3.

Looks like I ward pretty well against death dirges, but how else can I defend myself?

I need to boost my TD by, what, +5 or +6?

Thanks,
-LizardClan

AIM: LizardClan1
Re: TD 09/23/2009 10:16 AM CDT
When I started, I actually went up to 103, then moved to the paladin list until 1635, then returned to get to 120, which is where I've stopped for now.

101 helps immeasurably at low levels. I know everyone plays differently, but it was worth having it and 103 early on.

Fight my brute: http://taeghan.mybrute.com
Re: TD 09/23/2009 10:35 AM CDT
If you wear heavier armor, the CvA will go down; this amounts to faux TD: it makes it easier for you ward off spells.
Also, if your armor is not magical, just throw on a suit of <the same AsG you wear now> that is magical. The CvA is more favorable if you're wearing magical armor.

101/light blues + 107/deep blues == an easy +10 and +25 (respectively) to warding. Empaths, Clerics, Rangers, and other Paladins are usually more than willing to throw a bunch your way if you ask (and especially if you send mana to replace what they cast on you).
Re: TD 09/23/2009 10:56 AM CDT
107 only gives +15 to Spiritual TD now (welcome to GS4!). Additionally, spells now have their TD aligned to a type of magic, so that +15 spiritual TD from 107 will give you a bonus of 15 against spiritual based warding spells, but not nearly as large a bonus against elemental based warding spells.

You search the sea griffin.
It had a wooden arrow, a wooden arrow.
It had a white gryphon's wing shell on it!
Re: TD 09/23/2009 11:15 AM CDT
Yeah, I keep forgetting to check the website and see if the numbers are different now. (And all of my characters wear both of them all the time anyhow, on the "just in case" principle.)
Re: TD 09/23/2009 12:13 PM CDT
To doubly fuddle it, 107 still grants +25 to bolt DS.

You search the sea griffin.
It had a wooden arrow, a wooden arrow.
It had a white gryphon's wing shell on it!
Re: TD 09/23/2009 01:17 PM CDT
Non magical shields, for no good reason, used to raise your TD by 10 (magical ones didn't). No idea if this is still true, been years since I checked, but it might still be.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: TD 09/23/2009 01:26 PM CDT
Shields only affect your CvA if you are not already getting a CvA benefit from armor [i.e. "AsG1/clothing (aka "robes")].

Magical shields confer a greater CvA benefit (in this strictly limited case, since nearly nobody wears robes) than non-magical shields.