15th leveling hunting 09/09/2009 10:23 PM CDT
Anyone have any recommendations for a 15h level blunt and board paladin to hunt? I've been trying to handle wraiths but their bolt spells are soooo brutal. I don't know if I've ever been able to fry before having to leave because I got wounded so badly.

I'm usually self spelled and have up to 1615 + 101
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/09/2009 11:00 PM CDT
you might try ghost wolves and bone golems in the landing.

-VV
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/09/2009 11:31 PM CDT
the graveyard in the landing would likely have some good hunting for you as well. goul masters I believe right around your level. For someone working through Voln the graveyard can often take you all the way to great lord/lady.

just my thoughts
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/10/2009 06:12 AM CDT
Second Shock's suggestion. My Paladin's a polearm wielder, but she's hunted the graveyard pretty exclusively and she just hit 41 trainings. She played with Zombies, werebears, Temple of Love, etc. on the way up, but the graveyard's been her playground for quite awhile and got her Mastered in Voln. She's gonna have to find some other place to play very shortly mutter

"What we see depends largely on what we're looking for"
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/10/2009 11:56 AM CDT
Stance dance the wraiths; they move very slowly, and always warn of a spell attack by "drawing inward" first. If they do that, just go defensive till they cast. They are so easy, most of my folks were hunting them at 11-12 trainings.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/10/2009 08:45 PM CDT
>Stance dance the wraiths; they move very slowly

Islyia re-roll #18* (this was before Paladins were released, so we're on topic by proxy) hunted wraiths in a svelte-looking metal breast plate. A 10 or 11, I think. Of course, she had a base-RT of 18 seconds with a longsword, but it got the job done eventually. It was an amusing "association of mechanics to my advantage" because, even in full offensive was knick a few blood off.

---
Miss Nixxi Dagon
Nymph & Dagger, incorporated
AIM: GS4 Islyia

"You, sir, fail at elfgirl." ~ Jen
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/12/2009 04:01 PM CDT
My problem with the wraiths is their bolt. Even if I'm in full defensive stance, my DS is something like 117 against their bolts. They cast at about 180ish I think. So if they roll anything over a 30 or 40, I get blasted. Almost every time I get hit it results in a rank 2 wound. So the only way I stay alive is to run if I seem them prep a spell.

Their CS is also a tad high for me self-spelled, although when I get stunned by their CS spell I'm usually in full defensive and as long as they don't throw a bolt at me I usually survive just fine.

I suppose one of my problems is that I think I'm in non-enchanted chain mail. I have about 66000 silvers to my name and it'll cost me a lot more than that to get the armor. So any other suggestions to get my self-spelled bolt ds up are appreciated!

My training is doubled in shields, I have 40 ranks of armor and am in regular chain mail. I have a vultite wall shield. No dodging skills and I'm fully singled in CM. Would there be anything else relevant to bolt DS?
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/12/2009 04:09 PM CDT
I (and I'm sure most other long time packrats) have a literal boatload of 4x gear sitting around. Who do you play? I can get you a set of 4x torso chain out of the locker easily.

Also, try to make friends with a Spiritualist. Spells 101 and 107 (Spirit Warding 1 and 2) or as they're commonly known light and deep blues, will provide a big help against bolts.

You search the sea griffin.
It had a wooden arrow, a wooden arrow.
It had a white gryphon's wing shell on it!
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/12/2009 04:22 PM CDT
Get blues from someone; they add to bolt DS.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/12/2009 04:24 PM CDT
Is yer shield magical?

Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/12/2009 04:44 PM CDT
My level 12 paladin: this is the usual way combat with a wraith goes. Their bolt AS is only 127.

>> wraith draws inward for a moment!
> stance def
You are now in a defensive stance.
> ex
Level: 12 Deeds: 1
Experience: 168367 Death's Sting: None
Exp. until next: 29133 Recent Deaths: 0
Mental TPs: 5 Fame: 110705
Physical TPs: 0 Mana: 23/44 max

Your mind is numbed.

You feel a strange sense of serenity and find that you are able to reflect on recent events with uncommon clarity and understanding.

>
A wraith gestures at you!
A wraith hurls a freezing ball of pure cold at you!
AS: +127 vs DS: +178 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +2 = -10
A clean miss.
> stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
> at
You swing a pale white-ora morningstar at a wraith!
AS: +191 vs DS: +80 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +59 = +203
... and hit for 73 points of damage!
Left arm ripped in half at the elbow!
The fallen arm evaporates as a new one materializes.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
A wraith tries to ensnare you!
AS: +117 vs DS: +129 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +56 = +78
A clean miss.
R> at
You swing a pale white-ora morningstar at a wraith!
AS: +191 vs DS: +80 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +39 = +183
... and hit for 89 points of damage!
Hard strike to the abdomen.
Ethereal entrails seem to spill from the wraith's mangled substance,
vanishing into misty tendrils as they strike the ground.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the wraith's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The wraith falls to the ground motionless.
Roundtime: 5 sec.<<

Ok, now, this paladin is fairly magical; she knows 101 (adds to bolt DS, remember) as well as 1601-1610. Has 4x brigandine armor, 4x flaring holy weapon, 4x medium shield. Clearly the magical shield and armor help a lot. However, if we subtract 40 from the shown bolt DS (assuming non magical shield and armor) it's still higher than the wraiths can cast (though with a ball spell like that, it might still hit; the splash effect can be hurtful). Do you have divine shield spell up?

4x armor and shields are pretty common; so common I can't even sell them on the marketplace forum for half the usual price. You can probably find a good deal in a playershop somewhere, or advertise in the wanted to buy section of the marketplace forum.

Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/12/2009 05:16 PM CDT
Ok, I stand corrected. I really don't know why I thought their bolt AS was that high. I suppose it's possible that my bolt DS is lower than I said it was...

Ok, looking at your numbers I can see that my AS is about 16 points higher than yours at level 15 self-spelled.

My offensive stance DS is about 12-15 points lower than yours which I think is a combination of our level difference and your 4x armor. My problem is my bolt DS *in defensive stance*. I'll log in later and get a log of what my numbers look like.

Oh, and my character's name is Kelvran
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/12/2009 05:42 PM CDT
Here are some snippets to show you what I'm dealing with. A very nice wizard spelled me up in the crack and I still took two rank one wounds in about 5 minutes...I can play better tactically, but without the extra spells, I'm really hurting.

>spell active

You currently have the following active spells:
Mass Blur
Patron's Blessing
Divine Shield
Higher Vision
Thurfel's Ward
Dauntless
Mantle of Faith
Spirit Warding I

>wear shield
You sling a vultite wall shield over your shoulder.
>stand
You stand back up.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>rem shield
You sling a vultite wall shield off from over your shoulder.
>take mace
You remove an enruned ancient eonake mace from in your rolaren mail baldric.
>pre 1605
You trace a simple symbol as you reverently call on your patron in the prayer for Arm of the Arkati...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
You gesture.
Rippling cylinders of spiritual force encompass your arms and the arms of those near you.

You feel a subdued warmth through your arms and torso, accompanied by a preponderant sense of engagement.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>pre 1606
You trace a simple symbol as you reverently call on your patron in the prayer for Dauntless...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
You gesture.
Your confidence and fearlessness is bolstered.
>pre 1603
You trace a simple symbol as you reverently call on your patron in the prayer for Faith's Clarity...
Your spell is ready.
>rele
You feel the magic of your spell rush away from you.
>pre 1613
You trace a simple symbol as you reverently call on your patron in the prayer for Divine Vengeance...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
You gesture.
A wavering glow washes over your body and you sense a subtle connection to higher powers. You feel assured that your activity is under observation.

Cutting here to my first fight...

The wraith moans evilly!
A wraith hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
AS: +127 vs DS: +178 with AvD: +48 + d100 roll: +29 = +26
A clean miss.
>pre 101
You gesture while calling upon the lesser spirits to aid you with the Spirit Warding I spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
You gesture.
A light blue glow surrounds you.
>stance def
>
Lord Bjornsong just arrived.
>att wrai
You swing an enruned ancient eonake mace at a wraith!
AS: +101 vs DS: +90 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +84 = +126
... and hit for 18 points of damage!
Large gash to the right arm seals as strike passes through.
>
Bjornsong swings a black vultite broadsword at a wraith!
AS: +106 vs DS: +90 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +48 = +100
A clean miss.
>
A wraith draws inward for a moment!
>
Bjornsong says, "Ooops, sorry."
>att
AS: +101 vs DS: +145 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +2 = -11
A clean miss.
>'it's ok
You say, "It's ok."
>stance off
>
Bjornsong bows.
>att
AS: +202 vs DS: +151 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +4 = +86
A clean miss.
>
Lord Bjornsong just went east.
>
A wraith hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
AS: +127 vs DS: +137 with AvD: +48 + d100 roll: +88 = +126
... and hits for 16 points of damage!
Light shock to back. That stings!
>att
AS: +202 vs DS: +90 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +93 = +236
... and hit for 105 points of damage!
Strong hit to the chest!
Tendrils of mist explode as the strike passes right through.
>
The wraith moans evilly!
A wraith claws at you!
AS: +107 vs DS: +110 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +95 = +123
... and hits for 4 points of damage!
A nice bruise on your neck!
>att
AS: +202 vs DS: +90 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +86 = +229
... and hit for 77 points of damage!
Smash to the cheek deforms left eye socket.
Vapor swirls as the ethereal bones reform.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the wraith's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
>
Two burning red eyes appear in midair, and the rest of a hideous wraith quickly materializes before you!
The wraith spins in a frenzy and a strong wind whips around you.
>stance def

Next fight here....

A wraith swings a closed fist at you!
AS: +137 vs DS: +196 with AvD: +5 + d100 roll: +21 = -33
A clean miss.
>stance off
>att

AS: +202 vs DS: +80 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +91 = +244
... and hit for 78 points of damage!
Good hit!
Left shoulder is ripped from its socket then wriggles back into place.
>att
AS: +202 vs DS: +80 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +76 = +229
... and hit for 97 points of damage!
Huge hit explodes right arm into cold, viscous mist.
When you look again, the arm has reformed.
>stance def

And one more for now...

>spell active

You currently have the following active spells:
Mass Blur
Patron's Blessing
Arm of the Arkati
Divine Shield
Higher Vision
Thurfel's Ward
Dauntless
Divine Vengeance
Mantle of Faith
Spirit Warding I

>pre 101
You gesture while calling upon the lesser spirits to aid you with the Spirit Warding I spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
You gesture.
A light blue glow surrounds you.
>stance def
Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.
>stance def
>stance def
>
The wraith moans evilly!
CS: +99 - TD: +73 + CvA: +1 + d100: +60 == +87
Warded off!
>stance def
>stance off
>att wraith
AS: +202 vs DS: +90 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +52 = +195
... and hit for 67 points of damage!
Massive blow strikes the wraith and drives it back!
Good thing those ribs aren't made of bone.

Your ancient eonake mace emits a searing bolt of lightning!

... 25 points of damage!
Good hit!
Left shoulder is ripped from its socket then wriggles back into place.
>l
[Minion Quarters]
You now see what has caused the fog. Water bleeds from the upper part of the stone wall in a small trickle here. When it strikes the hotter stone of the floor the water heats, and evaporates into steam. As time cools it, the steam sinks to the low level of the caves to surround your ankles as fog. It almost has a life of its own as it moves around you. You also see a wraith.
Obvious exits: north, south
>
A wraith claws at you!
You barely manage to fend off the attack with your mace!
>att
AS: +202 vs DS: +90 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +42 = +185
... and hit for 67 points of damage!
Painful attack flays the leg from thigh to calf.
New skin lies, snakelike, beneath the old.
>stance def

I never did have a ball spell cast at me although yes, those are usually the worst for me. I'll post again when I don't have any extra outside help.
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/12/2009 09:53 PM CDT
Couple 1602 with Cman Feint, then parry-tag to your hearts content without ever getting a scratch. 1602 will add a few seconds to it's action sequence and give you more time to drop back into a defensive stance. Use Cman Feint to push it into a more offensive stance and add on rt when it turtles up to cast. Done correctly you will lock a wraith up in rt and keep it in a lower stance while you wail away on it.

Rhaegal.

A gnarled being suddenly leaps into the air, flying right toward you, its foot set to deliver a fatal kick!
The being lands a devastating blow!
... 1 point of damage!
Stubs one of the fingers on your left hand
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/13/2009 10:30 AM CDT
<<My offensive stance DS is about 12-15 points lower than yours which I think is a combination of our level difference and your 4x armor. My problem is my bolt DS *in defensive stance*. I'll log in later and get a log of what my numbers look like.>>

That 0x armor is really hurting your DS, as you know. I think by level 15, critters are assuming 4x armor is the baseline, so their AS is determined with that in mind. Of course, agility bonus and any dodge training also plays a role. Its just that you won't see a whole lot of benefit from either one when you're lugging around a tower shield.
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/13/2009 10:49 AM CDT
That lightning bolt hit you in offensive; gotta expect to be hit in a case like that. Carry herbs to heal ranks 1 wounds and you won't have to worry about getting wounded again in the same spots. Stance dance; they give a ton or warning when they are prepping a spell. Stay defensive till they cast.

I see you got a 4x shield, at least; do you know divine shield spell yet?

Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/13/2009 11:18 AM CDT
Opps, never mind; I see you have divine shield running.

OK, basic rule of thumb is that is you have more shield ranks than dodge, a bigger shield is better.

Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/13/2009 11:40 AM CDT
Add the wraith spell prep messaging to your text highlights, so you do not miss it scrolling by. If the area gets crowded, adding the "walk-in' messaging is nice too.
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/13/2009 01:00 PM CDT
I haven't really seen any suggestions for alternatives, which is what you initially asked for. Only suggestions on how to improve your hunts against wraiths, so here's a list.

Krovlin warriors - would recommend trying these first
Firecats/Firerats
Cave trolls
Large ogres - slow no spells
pumas - they have knockdown
tomb wights - they wear heavy armor - have a few magic attacks if memory serves

Dgry
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/14/2009 08:53 AM CDT
Cheap-and-easy bolt defense:
Spirit Warding I/101
Spirit Warding II/107
Resist Elements/602
Sign of Deflection/CoL [3 mana]
and the aforementioned "get +20 armor to wear"

Assuming you're in +0 armor now, I think that adds up to about a +90 change to your DS, and everything except the Sign of Deflection has a cumulative duration (just have the person--a single high-level Ranger could hook you up...--cast like twelve times at you with each spell) so effort is fairly minimal.
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/14/2009 08:56 AM CDT
The problem I always had with fire rats/fire cats is that they were like feras weapons: if they hit you, then they always flared [fire, obviously]. Granted, some of the flares were pretty cheesy, but some of them were substantial (like "knock me down, stunned with a leg burnt off") or even lethal.
Most adventurers hate flares that work against them. :(

Pumas are your level, krolvin mercenaries are level+2, krolvin warriors are level+4, and for your shopping convenience all three are found together in the same area after you "go path" out to the shores of Lake Marliese.
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/14/2009 10:15 AM CDT
Finally done with the premium festival, I should be around most of today when I'm not making models for school. I've got some plain old +20 torso chain sitting in a locker for you. I'll check for you in game, or just email me to set up a pick up.

Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/19/2009 01:39 PM CDT
Granta, I would be very grateful for the armor. I was trying to save up the money to buy my own. My weekly work schedule has kept me from logging on this week and this weekend I'm working on some house projects (although I intend to find some time to play for sure!). If you want to meet in game this evening or tomorrow sometime let me know. I can get on at anytime, just need to know when and where. I'll reply once I've seen your post so you can know whether or not I'll be there for sure.

Character's name is Kelvran.
Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/19/2009 02:37 PM CDT
I'll be around on-and-off most of the afternoon. If you log in, I'll find you at some point.

Re: 15th leveling hunting 09/19/2009 03:12 PM CDT
Ok, I'll probably be in wraiths if you happen to catch me on.