Mid 50s Hunting Ground 10/26/2014 09:22 PM CDT
55 sword and board here.

I had been hunting in Mestanir the past few levels which has really spoiled me. The crag worms and shamans were quite an easy hunt. Now that I'm having to quit cold turkey since the portal closed, what hunting areas should I turn to? Stone trolls and stone giants are a bit of a slog. Is there anything in EN I should be looking at? Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Aenternoll
Re: Mid 50s Hunting Ground 10/27/2014 03:45 AM CDT
I'm of course biased in favor of River's Rest in general, but the Citadel is definitely a good option. 100% undead right near the beginning of the undead gap (your only other option any time soon is the Temple of Luukos on Teras). That's levels 54 to 62.

If you're interested in checking it out, I can post a quick overview on its hunting. It's definitely a challenging hunting ground in some respects, but actually pretty fun and easy enough once you get the hang of it.

As far as the Adv guild, it's convenient: close to town for rescues, and a creature-free garden for nearly all foraging tasks. Gem bounties you may dislike as they include Solhaven/RR specific gems, however. You could also get sent to the basement of the Marsh Keep for trolls for several levels, as tomb trolls and tomb troll necromancers are level 52 and 54, respectively.

Tend to get a lot of use out of Divine Word in RR, too. I'm not even logged in that often and use about half a weeks' worth easily.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Mid 50s Hunting Ground 10/27/2014 05:30 AM CDT
It's been a while for me, but I "think" Bonespear in Solhaven would work for you. Unfortunately I don't do east of the Spine myself so I can't help you there.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Mid 50s Hunting Ground 10/27/2014 10:52 AM CDT

When you're fighting at the Luukos Temple, be weary of the soul golems - they absorb magic.

Radeek is right about Bonespear as well - eidolons are fun, but you'll outgrow that pretty fast from the sounds of it. Before you hit the soul golems, I think think there a wind wraiths and those you can say Oogedie Boogedie to before you swing your sword.

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Mid 50s Hunting Ground 10/27/2014 07:30 PM CDT
Chiming in to add +1 to the Citadel suggestion.

It doesn't get poorer than Bonespear and the eidolons will curse your face.
Re: Mid 50s Hunting Ground 10/28/2014 03:52 AM CDT
Never hunted the Temple of Luukos myself, but according to KP wind wraiths are difficult to hunt via melee.

Only taken my (now level 43) paladin into the Citadel two or three times, so a quick review might miss some important things in that regard.

Assuming you're the only one hunting in the Citadel, you can trust this distribution of creatures: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/The_Citadel#Hunting_Inside_the_Citadel

Mages cast weapon fire (that's not on KP, but I don't think I'm mistaken) and weapon deflection (which is annoying). They can't be stunned, but unless their bolt spells are hitting you, they're not a major concern. If you bring a disk, then weapon fire isn't too terrible.

Guardmen have charge, which is the only really dangerous thing they can do. They can also be stunned, etc. If they have a red hammer, they can do a kind of plasma attack. Those pawn for a pretty penny (nominally 1.5k), and other creatures will snatch them up (other guards and heralds especially), so disk those as well.

Arbalesters can also be stunned. They just fire arrows and sweep, although they are quite fast. Usually they are a problem in swarms because they'll use sweep and knock you over.

Heralds are generally the most dangerous creature there. They can cast Wither which is nasty, as well as all three forms of Web (the targeted warding version has a 25 TD pushdown and the area web can hit you running through, so PEER can be useful), Fire Spirit, Spirit Strike (making their two bolt spells quite nasty), Bind, Silence, and Searing Light.

Swordsmen have a high AS, and can sometimes spawn with claidhmores. They don't stun or generally crit, and have somewhere between 300 and 400 HP. (One ancient one I killed had well over 600 HP). The largest concern with them earlier on might be sheer fear, if either you or someone else goes into the Basement.

So, the main thing required is lots of Spiritual TD. If you're sword and board, your bolt DS might not be too shabby. I'd think Faith Shield is extremely useful vs. heralds.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Mid 50s Hunting Ground 10/28/2014 05:27 AM CDT
Let me also note a "feature" of heralds which probably wasn't fixed since I discovered it over the summer. Their Fasthr's Reward had an unrealistically high trigger rate, being about 100% for spiritual spells. So don't cast 1614 or 1615 at them unless you have 100% chance of warding (unlikely). Cast 1602 first to get 115 to trigger and drop. This is probably a very good case for infusing 1602 into your Sanctified weapon...

Re: Mid 50s Hunting Ground 12/10/2014 12:20 PM CST
UPDATE: I ended up in Ta'illistim hunting the black forest ogres.

Cheers,
Aenternoll