So, this is full plate 10/07/2016 01:17 PM CDT
I've been around a long time (off and on), and never had a character I played like my paladin. Just got into Full-plate for the first time ever. Feels good man. I've noticed it seems to be harder to stand up, does that go away with more training?

For now, I'm going to dial back the tripling in Armor Use to single or double for a while, and see what I can spend all those extra points on. Any suggestions on what skills to go for?

* CM/Lores/SMC?
* Or just go whole ham for max redux and start 2x'ing PF?
* Have any of you higher-ups found dodge to be useful at all? I have a large shield instead of a tower if that factors in at all.

Thanks!

>Appoloin (at level 48)
Skill Name Bonus Ranks
Armor Use 250 150
Shield Use 200 100
Combat Maneuvers 150 50
Edged Weapons 200 100
Physical Fitness 150 50
Arcane Symbols 58 12
Harness Power 150 50
Spiritual Lore - Religion 70 15
Perception 102 24
Climbing 105 25
Swimming 105 25

Minor Spiritual8
Paladin 40

Re: So, this is full plate 10/07/2016 01:41 PM CDT
You have a lot more hobbies than my paladin did at this point!

My recommendations (in no specific order):
- Stop any additional Armor training until post near cap / post cap
- Push to get CM training closer to 2x between actual CM training and CM bonus from 1611-Patron's Blessing. I think you might notice not having this as you hunt tougher areas.
- Train in MOC: Even 10 Ranks will help reduce your Force on Force Penalty when going against multiple targets by an additional opponent. Training it even higher and start having fun with MSTRIKE.
- Train SL: Religion to 25 ranks for 85% Kneel on 1615/1630 (I would train this sooner unless you just don't use these spells much).
- Train SL: Summoning to 10 Ranks for an additional 1630 target
- Train Spirit spells to 120 (you'll likely be glad for 120 by the time you hit 80 or so).
- Once you get your CM training a bit higher you might consider investing in ~35 ranks of Ambush and go for aimed shots to the head vs. straight up attacks (which I am assuming is what you are doing now).

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: So, this is full plate 10/07/2016 01:45 PM CDT
I'd also recommend a tower shield but maybe there is something about your large shield is super awesome. Switching over to Tower also let's you take advantage of Protective Wall which I think is a pretty good defensive shield skill. Also a tower shield will better enhance your shield based defense given you are 2x shield/0x dodge.

-- Robert

Re: So, this is full plate 10/07/2016 04:04 PM CDT

>>I've noticed it seems to be harder to stand up, does that go away with more training?

Congrats! It feels good to be able to take a hit. You'll notice standing while in heavy armor can be troublesome...going to more offensive stances will make it easier and lower the RT. I think you could also kneel then stand if you didn't want to risk stancing up while prone.

You can stop training in armor at this point until cap unless you really wanted/needed the 5th rank of your armor skill (I assume fluidity). It is nice...but getting reimbursed for all of those armor TPs spent will go a longgggg way towards all of the other fun things to train.
Re: So, this is full plate 10/07/2016 09:18 PM CDT
>I've noticed it seems to be harder to stand up, does that go away with more training?

Not entirely, but every 50 armor use ranks past 130 will make it a little better. Not exactly a short-term goal.
Re: So, this is full plate 10/08/2016 10:34 AM CDT
Thanks for the replies all.

Looks like the near term plan is to increase physical combat skills first (CM/MOC/Ambush), and lores after/along with that as able. I'm already single-training in spells, so the plan there is to get to 120 next.

Re: So, this is full plate 10/10/2016 03:55 AM CDT
Personslly, once I hit 50 I stopped all training except minor spiritual to get 120 (think I had it by 53 or 54). Then I focused on MOC to 30 ranks. Then I caught up on all my physical combat skills.

Right now you could start hunting the citadel with a little trouble or lesser and greater faeroths fairly easily for a few levels. I know once you have 120 and full wizard buffs, your TD will be high enough to not have to worry about citadel heralds or apprentice mages. Sooner if you're a halfling or dwarf.

By level 62 - 64 I'd advise having 30 to 40 ranks in ambush so you can reliably hit critters in the head.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: So, this is full plate 10/10/2016 08:43 AM CDT
I went for Lores (up to 1x) in particular after getting in to full plate. I also increased my MOC.

Spiritual mana control is required for raising. I'm slightly baffled why you have knowledge of 1640 when you cannot cast it. 25 SMC is also nice for a free MANA SPELLUP use, sending mana to rangers (or empaths or clerics, but that's less relevant).

In any case, nothing really new to contribute to this discussion. My paladin is still at 1x CM, incidentally. Would love to get 2x but it's a lot of points, and I have more immediate goals.
Re: So, this is full plate 10/10/2016 09:59 AM CDT
>> Spiritual mana control is required for raising. I'm slightly baffled why you have knowledge of 1640 when you cannot cast it. 25 SMC is also nice for a free MANA SPELLUP use, sending mana to rangers (or empaths or clerics, but that's less relevant).

I completely missed that. Yeah - not much point in having 1640 without 24 ranks in SMC (and the extra 1 to 25 is nice as Daid pointed out). If you don't plan on doing that soon it might be worth dropping spells back to 1635 for the time being so you can put those points to use on something else.

-- Robert

Re: So, this is full plate 10/10/2016 01:01 PM CDT
I am (still!) routinely astounded that people stop at 24 (or 25, now) ranks rather than plugging away to 30. "But it's six (or five) ranks that don't do anything for me! And they cost so many training points!"

I grant that +1 mana/pulse (from having 30 ranks/getting +3/pulse, as opposed to only 20 [or 24, or 25] ranks and getting only +2/pulse) is pretty minimal, but it's an extra 1 mana that you will ALWAYS GET, from then on, forever, on every single pulse.
That's a lot of pulses.
Re: So, this is full plate 10/10/2016 01:37 PM CDT
>> I am (still!) routinely astounded that people stop at 24 (or 25, now) ranks rather than plugging away to 30. "But it's six (or five) ranks that don't do anything for me! And they cost so many training points!"

But then why stop at 30 when you can go to 40... or 50... or more??!

At least for my paladin, training points were VERY tight until post 50. I didn't even train more than absolutely required in climbing / swimming and things like perception, first aid, and survival were absolute luxuries (so I didn't train them at all). Also, at 1x HP (actually training HP to level so 2 ranks less than 1x) I haven't noticed any mana issues with my paladin as of yet (now 86 trains). So sure it is +1 mana for life, but to date I've felt the TPs to get from 25 to 30 SMC (I did take the extra rank for MANA SPELLUP) have been more valuable being spent elsewhere.

-- Robert

Re: So, this is full plate 10/10/2016 02:01 PM CDT
Speaking as a runestaff-Bard who just turned the MC:Mental up to 40 ranks (had been 30)... I do! :)

However, I do it in steps of 10 ranks. That's my entire point: why stop at 24 or 25? Get 6 (or 5) more, and get the PAYOFF.
(I also counsel Sorcerers, and other Bards, though not Empaths now that they are no longer Mental, to go up to 20 ranks/90 skill in their <second Realm>, and STOP, because going to 30--as I would otherwise suggest--does nothing for them unless they kick it up to FORTY [second Realm only counts half].)

At 105,500 experience to make level, using GSWiki's estimated 105.5 hours (at 1k/hour average), figuring 25 mana pulses per hour (due to variable timing, and to keep the math pretty), is well over two and a half thousand extra mana for use, just for that one level.

I agree absolutely: it comes in as a trickle.

But mana is mana.

I mind me of when we were sussing out Bardic medley Renewal times: because I had started with a high CHArisma [now, INFluence], my renewal was something on the order of 2 minutes longer than my contemporaries (or "as long as someone 30-50 levels higher"). I compared medley renewal costs for identical sets of songs, even against someone with a MUCH higher DIScipline (the stat that reduces the Multi-Song Penalty). 100% true: his MSP was lower than mine... but I paid it so many times fewer, that I came out ahead on mana (by thousands), even singing one song MORE than he did.

(I use "2 minutes" as a significant point in bard song durations, because even a theoretical capped Erithian with maxed stats and Lore will only have a medley renewal of 11:47; max out the Enhancives and it is only 14:47. So, when comparing two Bards in their 20s, with a "two minute" difference in renewal time, is a significant fraction of the "less than 12 minutes" possible for a capped character of the best possible race for time.)
Re: So, this is full plate 10/10/2016 08:06 PM CDT
>Empaths now that they are no longer Mental

What? This is completely wrong. Empaths are still hybrids. Empath Base is a hybrid circle. Mental Mana Control is still a native skill. Many empath spells check MMC alongside SMC or even alone for bonuses, and MMC applies to mana spellup for empaths.

The only change that happened is that despite being hybrids, empaths didn't give up MjS for MnM.
Re: So, this is full plate 10/10/2016 09:06 PM CDT
Useful to get the reminder!

I'll keep recommending that they train <the second Realm, who knows, they might start with Mental as their most-trained> in blocks of 20, then.
Re: So, this is full plate 10/11/2016 08:25 AM CDT
As a paladin, I routinely end hunts with a lot of extra mana, and the hunts usually last no more than 10 minutes, so I don't even get a free cast of Divine Strike (1615) out of the 6 5 or 6 ranks of MnS.

I finish spelling myself up easily enough and sit around "wasting" pulses by having full mana routinely. I even get pulses when hunting that waste mana.

For a paladin, I don't think this is very relevant at all. Putting the same training points into Blessing Lore for the OP would have a much more important effect I believe (as on example). Or the character's perception ranks (note: my paladin's perception is even lower).

Your argument is fine when those training points are free, but seeing as they aren't and there are plenty of better places to spend them for paladins, I'll stick with recommending 25 ranks if the OP plans to raise the dead.
Re: So, this is full plate 10/11/2016 08:29 AM CDT
Hey, I like 25 as a breakpoint, at least he gets the Mana Spellup. :)