Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 09:08 AM CST
After a great deal of leniency from Sirina and Alyias in the CHE folder some of us who were clamouring for updates to the Wizard FE were politely asked to take our discussion to the Simu folder. Well, Mikare and I did just that. I thought I would cross-post what I had written there so that anyone who wanted to join that discussion/request/argument, could post here, or preferably in the Simu Forum.

Here's my post:

I am here to back up Mikare and to add my two cents ...

Since I have been one of the posters in the CHE folder about updating the wizard, and since Sirina asked us to come over to the Simutronics forum to post our desires, here I am, posting .....

I am not alone in wanting to see updates to the Wizard front end. A number of reputable people, Tsoran, Doug, et al, have chimed in and asked for changes.

We all know that back in 2003 it was announced that the Wizard FE would no longer be supported and that we should all move along to SF or rue the day. Well, I, and a goodly number of others, actually LIKE the Wizard and do not wish to change our FE. I have tried on a number of occasions to switch and find myself missing a lot of the things that Wizard still gives me, not the least of which is all my highlights.

I am a much older player, in years and time in-game, been around since 1996? when GS3 went to the web, and while I have taken a break from the game here or there, I keep coming back. So do a lot more than just me! What keeps me coming back and so easily re-integrating myself into GS is the Wizard FE. My highlights are always there, the speed is always there, all my scripts still work, and I know just how to move, and talk.

This is a rather long winded plea for some consideration for the old fogies that still want their Wizard FE. We are probably your longest running users, for one thing. Most of the newbies are coming from graphical games and will love SF. Shouldn't there be some thought to the wishes of those long-term loyal customers?

Perhaps you could run a poll to see who still wants to keep the Wizard? Perhaps have questions as to what it is that actually keeps people using the Wizard despite the many charms of SF. Best of all would be if the things us old fogies like about the Wizard could somehow be incorporated into SF with the least trauma to our sensibilities.

Alyias got himself into hot water the other day with a snapshot of the game where he saw 16.3% of users were on the Wizard. That equated to about 40 of the 250 characters in-game. I am here to tell you that those 40 are using the Wizard because they LIKE it, and don't want to use SF. AND, to reinterate, we are your most loyal, long-standing customers.

Is there anything that you 'higher ups' can do for your loyal GS-ers?

Thank you for your consideration.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 10:05 AM CST
Just leaving a note here, I will be posting my real reply over in simu where the conversation is now going.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 11:27 AM CST
I have tried on a number of occasions to switch and find myself missing a lot of the things that Wizard still gives me, not the least of which is all my highlights.

I've seen you say this twice now, (or, at least, two different people have said it at least once), and I'm confused by this. Could you explain further about the highlights?

SF definitely has highlights (better than the Wizard's in some ways), and there's even a utility ("Thundermage") to transfer your Wizard highlights into SF. Could you explain what it is about the highlights that you're missing in SF? It could be that I'm overlooking something.

My only complaint about highlights is that SF lacks the "global" category of highlights, which makes it necessary to create highlights individually for each character. It's a nuisance, to be sure, but not a show stopper for me.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 12:09 PM CST
>My only complaint about highlights is that SF lacks the "global" category of highlights, which makes it necessary to create highlights individually for each character. It's a nuisance, to be sure, but not a show stopper for me.

Agreed. Global settings would be really awesome. That's the only thing I really miss from the wizard. I've actually toyed with the idea of creating some windows program that would keep track of global settings and distribute them through your characters (via xml). But no time lately.

- Greminty
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 01:00 PM CST
>>My only complaint about highlights is that SF lacks the "global" category of highlights, which makes it necessary to create highlights individually for each character. It's a nuisance, to be sure, but not a show stopper for me.

Huh? Okay, however, it's very possible to export your highlights from your main character to all your other characters using export and import. If you want to add highlights from one character to another you just export, import, export from the second character and import that to your primary.

Global issue solved. It takes about 5-10 seconds.

~Galenok
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 01:16 PM CST
>Global issue solved. It takes about 5-10 seconds.

Hardly.

1) I rarely would want every highlight copied. Rather, some are global some are character-specific. This is even more true for other settings (scripts/macros).

2) It takes a lot more than 5-10 seconds, since you have to open up every single character you want to export/import from-to. Twice each, if you want them fully global (copy all to one character, then copy those out to all the other chars). Just opening SF once probably 5 seconds, let alone the clicking to export/import, so it's going to add up quickly.

3) Then I have to do this every single time I add a highlight (or other setting). That's a lot of annoying management, and non-trivial amount of time wasted.

Yes, of course, it's possible to manage global settings manually, but it's far, far from ideal. Having a central place to manage them automatically, without all the hassle, would be really helpful.

- Greminty
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 01:19 PM CST
Why do them all the time? Update them once a week, as you play them. You are making more work out of it than it needs to be in order to make your point.

However, feel free to write that program. Many people will use it.

~Galenok
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 05:13 PM CST
>Update them once a week, as you play them.

It's still a lot of management. You have to remember to export whenever you logout, or, when you start a different character, you have to first login with your last character (if you remember which one that is). And of course, this still doesn't solve the problem of managing both global and local settings at the same time.

- Greminty
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 02/28/2011 10:55 PM CST
<< I have tried on a number of occasions to switch and find myself missing a lot of the things that Wizard still gives me, not the least of which is all my highlights. -- Myself, quoted by Tsoran

<<I've seen you say this twice now, (or, at least, two different people have said it at least once), and I'm confused by this. Could you explain further about the highlights? --- Tsoran

I'm not sure how to explain all my difficulties with SF. I logged in to a character last night via SF and tried once again to get a handle on it. All I can say is that I find it a)very intimidating, mostly just from its enormous amount of choices, and b) very intimidating because there is so much I need to change to make me feel comfortable using it.

There are a few messages below yours, Mike, where Greminty and Galenok discuss how simple, or not, importing and using highlights are. I could feel the blood drain from my face as they slung the phrases around about importing and exporting and updating. I may play this game, but I am truly intimidated by the software called StormFront that is used to run it.

I once, back a number of years ago, used Psinet, thanks to a friend actually walking me through the installation of it. That helped in a lot of ways and did a lot of my thinking for me. When I upgraded to this computer with Vista on it, it was weeks before I could figure out how to log in to GS. (I hate Vista!) And I couldn't get Psinet to work for me. I read about Lich, but it sounds way over MY head, so I haven't dabbled with it.

I'll confess here that I have 3 accounts, and more than 40 characters. Anyone who could tell me that importing and exporting and updating highlights would be a quick and easy process with that many characters is as crazy as I am.

And I highlight A LOT. All empaths, all clerics, all my friends, and characters, and gems, wands, critters .. I use highlights all over the place. I also have a different background colour and use different fonts. I have a few different layouts, created laboriously over the years for magic users and warrior types. My windows in the Wizard aren't like anyone elses that I have heard of or seen. My game window covers a good 1/3 of my screen, and I put all the Wizard graphic controls down the left side in a small band. I have only 3 other windows open: deaths, thought, and logon/logoff.

Contrast that with SF. When you open it, there are at least a dozen windows there. I have never yet figured out how to save whatever layout I create so that when I come back it's still there. I get so frazzled trying to fathom the depths that I usually just close it down and go away and read a book to calm down. There doesn't even seem to be a 'users manual'!

And, finally, I am intimidated by all of you people here that know SO much about programming, and doing all these neat things with software, while I flounder around feeling increasingly out of my depths, and very, very stupid. Part of it is being 70 years old. I'm a little old to be bending my mind into the shapes needed to comprehend what software is and does. And a good part of it is that I am a very visual person, and try as I might software isn't a very visual thing to me.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but my frustration level is high right now.

I would love it if a computer-knowledgeable person were to become my best friend and move in next door.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/01/2011 05:34 AM CST
Ok, I understand, and thanks for taking the time to explain.

In short, there's nothing I can do to help you.

Is there a learning curve with SF? Certainly. Not wanting to go through that learning curve is quite understandable, and the decision is yours, and yours alone.

All I can say is that for the 80% of customers who have gone through that learning curve, most, like myself, find it well worth the effort.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/01/2011 10:49 AM CST
>Contrast that with SF. When you open it, there are at least a dozen windows there. I have never yet figured out how to save whatever layout I create so that when I come back it's still there. I get so frazzled trying to fathom the depths that I usually just close it down and go away and read a book to calm down. There doesn't even seem to be a 'users manual'!

SF will reappear in the same state you left it in when you logged out. (Unless you lose your settings when changing computer or something like that). It is character specific though, so logging out one character and logging in a second one will give you the SF look for the second one not however you left it with the first one.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/01/2011 12:54 PM CST
<<In short, there's nothing I can do to help you.

<<Is there a learning curve with SF? Certainly. Not wanting to go through that learning curve is quite understandable, and the decision is yours, and yours alone.

<<All I can say is that for the 80% of customers who have gone through that learning curve, most, like myself, find it well worth the effort. --- Tsoran

<<SF will reappear in the same state you left it in when you logged out. (Unless you lose your settings when changing computer or something like that). It is character specific though, so logging out one character and logging in a second one will give you the SF look for the second one not however you left it with the first one. -- Rathboner

Thank you, Mike, for understanding. Sorry if I came across as mostly unglued. As I mentioned, I was feeling pretty frazzled. However, I am going to give it another shot. I absolutely hate not winning!

One thing that made me quail was Rathboner saying essentially that I will have to bring in every one of my characters and separately set up SF for them. Is that correct? If so, that will keep me busy for a few days ...
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/01/2011 01:03 PM CST
Only if you like different windows / positions for different characters.

The export / import function should save you time if you land on a generic but useful windows implementation in SF.

You can load a lot of your macros (or all, if you want), highlights, etc., the same way -- but in this area I've found I have some differentiation between characters, so this is more limited in utility.

You can also turn off hyperlink generation to get close to the wizard feel. It won't be quite as fast, but it approaches the interface capability.

Doug
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/01/2011 01:26 PM CST
>One thing that made me quail was Rathboner saying essentially that I will have to bring in every one of my characters and separately set up SF for them. Is that correct? If so, that will keep me busy for a few days ...

What I was saying is that once you have it set up for a character, it sticks for that character. There will be ways to short cut setting it up for 40 characters with import export, but I don't run enough characters to make much use of that and do indeed tend to set it up individually for each new character I roll up.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/01/2011 04:10 PM CST
Hon,

drop me an email to games2uNE@gmail.com

I will walk you thru lich step by step, one section at a time, one useful script at a time till we get you back to psinet functionality, and show you a couple other tools. We can do it via IMs, or I'll give you my number and call me.

~Paul
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/01/2011 11:01 PM CST
Dear Paul,

You are an absolute sweetheart! Thank you. Email coming.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/02/2011 01:43 PM CST
Hey Silverhealer! Look, tomorrow is my day off of work. I'd be pretty happy to walk you through some things over that other archaic device called the telephone in order to help you learn at least some small and easy things to do with SF that make it a little more user friendly.

If you're interested, you can reply here and my email is gsgalenok@yahoo.com or galenok@gmail.com, and it'd be a pretty easy ten minutes of a walkthrough sort of thing. It'd involved showing you how to handle exporting and importing, how to work with highlights and other settings to make it more visually appealing to you.

I won't lie, there is a lot to learn and I was intimidated at first before I switched too. Now, I know maybe 50% as much as someone like Mike, learn new things but I know everything I need to know to make SF playable and friendlier feeling.

It's just an option and figured I'd offer.

~Galenok
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/02/2011 01:47 PM CST
Ah, that's what I get for not replying to this thread last night instead of today. Looks like Paul has you covered. Make him show you how to work SF, too.

~Galenok
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/02/2011 10:44 PM CST
That is so kind of you, Galenok! I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier or I would have taken you up on your offer.

Paul and I haven't connected yet, it's set for tomorrow, but I will certainly ask him what he knows about the importing of stuff into SF.

Quite frankly though, if I can find a way to give more functionality to the Wizard FE I shall be a very happy camper. I like things simple. I like things text. I like the Wizard.

A big thank you to everyone who has offered help and suggestions here. It's given me warm fuzzies that you'd all be willing to help a floundering geezer. Or are only old men geezers? ;-) Aww heck, just call me Wench!
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/04/2011 01:51 PM CST
And she is up and running on lich! woohoo!

And a wonderful lady too, glad to have spent a few hours getting to know her.

~Paul
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/04/2011 02:57 PM CST
Nice work, Paul.

~Galenok
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/04/2011 09:55 PM CST
Spare my blushes, Paul! It was wonderful getting to know you, too. My hero from WAY back. And now a new friend!

To all ... Paul was very, very patient with me. I am a blithering idiot about some things, quite hen-witted, and he never once got impatient or made me feel like the twit I am. Kudos for that!

And once I have gone through my many characters I will not only be proficient with the basics, but will enjoy the game a LOT more.

Finally .. Whoever was brilliant enough to create Lich .. I bow down to you, and to all who added scripts etc to the basic framework. It is a thing of beauty. Wizard as it SHOULD be.

Thanks again to one and all .. you make GemStone a place I am glad to be, and a community that, despite being a hermit, I am glad to lurk on the fringe thereof.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/06/2011 04:27 PM CST
And this is truly the heart of all that is GS. Tears to my eyes when I read Paul and Galenok replies.

Well met, sirs!

Hugs,

Cindy/Mikare
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/07/2011 02:51 PM CST
<<Part of it is being 70 years old. >>

Maybe we've found a common factor here, Silverhealer. I didn't think there was anyone else playing the game that was my age but there you are! <beam>.

I also still use the Wizard FE and am very reluctant to switch to Stormfront. I have also been playing Gem since 1996 and I too love my highlighting of other adventurer's names which lets me know at a glance their professions and if they are friends from the past. I only have the one account so I don't have the proliferation of characters to make the transition to SF which should make it easier to do, I suppose. I'm also not as intimidated by software as you seem to be ... probably since I'm one of the few people still left that were doing programming back in the day of vacuum tubes before transistors were invented. I think that my reluctance to switch to StormFront is just inertia ... probably the same reason that I don't want to learn anything about alchemy <shudder> and didn't ever use PsiNet as well.

I do wish that some basic updating of the Wizard could be done but I will probably still be using it until I'm the only one left as long as it still works <shrug>.

Good luck with your conversion and maybe I'll get up enough gumption to do it too... or maybe I'll worry about that tomorrow <grin>.
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/07/2011 03:13 PM CST
<<Maybe we've found a common factor here, Silverhealer. I didn't think there was anyone else playing the game that was my age but there you are! <beam>.

::beams back at you:: Pleased to meet you, Oldtimer!

Thanks to Paul, I am still able to use the Wizard with lots of lovely help from Lich. If you can overcome your inertia I'd recommend that you at least check it out. It's perfect for us lazy bones! And you have several legs up on me with your previous computer experience so the things that I had trouble with (and that tried Paul's patience!) will be easy for you.

http://lichproject.org/download.html#win_storm_wiz_lich

I am just too visual, and programming just isn't a visual subject. I find that directions of the 'fit tab A into slot B' kind just confuse the hell out of me. Show me a picture of said slots, and I'm fine!

Maybe we'll meet in game some time! I've watched every run of Droughtman's so far. How about you?
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 03/07/2011 09:02 PM CST
I'll be happy to help anyone as Silverhealer can attest. Gimme a few hours and some mind share, and we'll have fun, and i'll make the game more fun for you.

~Paul
Re: Cross-post from Simutronics folder in reference to updating the Wizard FE 05/10/2011 11:30 AM CDT
(Very late reply, since I stopped reading everything but Marketplace back in February when I got busy with taxes.)

I didn't even think of using character-specific highlights until a dozen years or more after I started highlighting in the first place. At this point, I wouldn't have any idea who knows (of) whom. <shrug>

But what I did was to write a little database utility to reach out and run through each of the CharacterName.HIS files, grab all of those highlights and put them into a single data table, and then re-create each CharacterName.HIS file with all of the highlights.
(I did it as two separate pieces of scripting, so that I can edit the list first. Take out duplicates, or anything lockpick-related that isn't from the actual Thief, for example. [His highlights are the "master" for lockpicking.] Once that step is done, I do the "push" to everyone else.)