Windows 10 problem too, surprise! 02/23/2018 12:49 PM CST
I'm having difficulties getting the Wizard FE to install on my new(ish) laptop. I've got everything installed and working perfectly on my Windows 7 laptop and on my Windows 10 desktop (even Lich), but I can't for the life of me get things working on this HP EliteBook 840. It came with Windows 8 (eew) but since they got upgraded to 10 while in use at college where I bought it from, I was able to re-upgrade it to 10. I downloaded and installed the launcher as an administrator to C:\Simu and when I go through the website, select my character, select wizard front end, and then Go Play! it brings up the download dialog box where it's downloading the Front End, then the installer launches. A box pops up where it says "Searching for Wizard Front End" then it crashes with a dialog box stating "wzinst.exe has stopped working" "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I purposely installed it in it's own directory to avoid conflicts with Windows permissions but I'm not sure permissions are the issue here. Any ideas?

Gary, player of Daergard
Re: Windows 10 problem too, surprise! 02/23/2018 02:18 PM CST
Hi, Gary - did you at one time have Simu's Wizard installed on the HP Elitebook? And if you did, did you also upgrade the OS in place, or wipe the partitions and start anew?

Doug
Re: Windows 10 problem too, surprise! 02/23/2018 09:36 PM CST
Nope, never had it installed on this laptop before. When I bought the laptop from school they completely wiped it and re-imaged it with the stock software it originally came with. I was only able to upgrade it to Win 10 due to the fact it records hardware info I think... It does have two partitions though. It has the Windows(C) drive, a Recovery Image(D) drive, and an HP_TOOLS(E:) drive.
Re: Windows 10 problem too, surprise! 02/24/2018 01:56 AM CST
Ok, do me a favor. Might or might not help - but install Stormfront and enter the game with that.

Then go back to the website and pick Wizard and see if that makes a difference.

Doug
Re: Windows 10 problem too, surprise! 02/24/2018 06:27 AM CST
Stormfront installed and I got into the game fine with that but I still have the same problem with the Wizard. It downloads and launches the installer, but then crashes.

Here is a shortcut to my google drive folder with the error,
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kKEUFahJRS79v_9GUG_RBfMOIaPvm-ai

Gary
Re: Windows 10 problem too, surprise! 02/24/2018 07:49 AM CST
Well, I finally got it working. I ended up copying the entire Wizard folder from the Simu directory on a different computer and dropping it into the Simu folder on the new laptop. When the game launched, it still "downloaded" the wizard front end and launched the installer, however, this time it didn't crash when the "Searching for Wizard Front End" thing popped up in the installer and the installation finished like it should. I have no idea why this prevented the installer from crashing but I'm happy it worked.

Gary
Re: Windows 10 problem too, surprise! 02/24/2018 08:22 AM CST
>> I have no idea why this prevented the installer from crashing but I'm happy it worked.

I don't either, but good thinking! Congrats, and enjoy.

Doug