Chromebook? 04/16/2014 06:08 PM CDT
Anyone know if you can install the Wizard FE on a Samsung Chromebook? If not, would eScape work?
Re: Chromebook? 04/21/2014 08:07 PM CDT
I'm using my Acer chromebook right now. The Web Client is horrible on the Chromebooks. I wouldn't try to hunt using, but checking your equipment or spells might be ok.

If you want something more functional, install Crouton and your favorite Ubuntu. I have Netbook Remix, but there are other that you can use. Once you have your Linux installed, install Wine. Once Wine is installed, update the browser and get yourself a copy of the SGE. Configure this using the XP options in Wine.

There is one headache that I haven't mentioned, Crouton requires turning off OS verification. You either have to press ctrl-d to get past the warning screen or wait 30 seconds or so. This is dangerous with around kids; my kids have pressed the space bar which defaults the Chromebook back to whatever it was before the Linux install. All my Linux stuff has been deleted several times over because I let the kids play.

On the positive side, turning the verification via the space bar will delete Linux and Crouton while happily going out and picking up all of the stuff you installed on the Chromebook side. This is actually kind of nice if you want it.

I have had exactly one serious glitch with Crouton and an HP Chromebook. My wife thought it was too much and turned on OS verification on the same day there was a Chromebook update. The end result was half the keyboard stopped working as did the track pad. Surprising, this was easily fixed by turning OS verification on and off again. We tried the factory default option but that didn't work. I can tell you, both of us felt like puking during this process, but the Chromebook came through in the end.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Chromebook? 05/04/2014 08:39 PM CDT
It would be a Samsung-branded one since I'm firmly on their bandwagon. Picking one up, just curious if could use it for Simu stuff rather than take my laptop solely for GS. I'll play around with Crouton and see how I like it. Thanks!