Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/14/2017 05:32 PM CST
"Vaalor patrons include Koar, Phoen, Kai and Eonak. They actively dislike Oleani, Charl, Cholen and Tonis. Of the lesser gods, they also respect Voln, and some female Vaalor warriors align with Leya as well."

So they choose Phoen as their patron and dislike his wife. This garbage middle school RP document can basically be summed up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

*~Omni Exeunt in Mysterium~*
Re: Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/15/2017 04:06 PM CST
I wouldn't let it bother you. As a people they may generally reject a given deity, but that doesn't have to represent every individual. I have even heard of a vaalorian following Charl.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/16/2017 11:07 AM CST

It doesn't bother me as a PC, it's just silly. Oleani is generally viewed as benevolent, and is the WIFE of their favorite god. The only earth precedent I can think of for this sort of attitude was between Pazuzu and Lamashtu, since, Lamashtu ate people and was bad juju in general, and only Pazuzu her husband could control her.

There is no explanation of any sort for why Vaalorians would honor Phoen and actively dislike Oleani. In other words, it looks like the GM who wrote the doc just based it off of the realm of influence of the Arkati, without bothering to notice she was married to Phoen.

Re: Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/16/2017 12:11 PM CST
>>it's just silly. . . . There is no explanation of any sort for why Vaalorians would honor Phoen and actively dislike Oleani.

There are four active patrons of the House, two of which are far more popular. And Phoen is not one of those two. The odds are very good that part of the reason why Phoen may not be significantly favored above Kai is because of this capricious arrangement.

Yet, it's not silly at all for the Vaalorian mindse - probably the most disciplined, unchanging and pure of the elven Houses - to consider any arkati (who is viewed more as an infrequent companion of significant worth than a deity) that openly professes to be a patron of a lesser race, especially one that is not warrior like and shows little discipline itself, to be unworthy of the House's attention.

Individuals, especially those seeking to bring some form of enlightenment to the poor, beknighted Vaalorian masses frequently try to challenge this status quo, usually as clerics or paladins. They don't use the word 'silly', though - as nothing is further from the truth and without one's head it is hard to continue the endeavor.

And to stand this totally on its head, why does anyone even care what a Vaalor elf might think? ;)

Doug
Re: Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/16/2017 12:32 PM CST
Maybe...but then that should be explained in the documentation. A line stating "While the Vaalor elves like Phoen, the find his weakness for the Goddess of Love to be a weakness. This is a peculiarity of the Vaalor elves."

OR

"The Vaalor elves deny the traditional doctrine that states Phoen is a consort of Oleani."

OR

"Vaalor elves who favor Kai, tend to dislike Oleani and ignore Phoen."

By silly I meant, not realistic to the world. I don't think it's an in-genre sort of statement. It doesn't fit with any kind of culture that might spring up in a natural world like Elanthia - not without some explanation as to why they would hate one god and favor its consort.

Re: Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/18/2017 10:46 PM CST
>>So they choose Phoen as their patron and dislike his wife. This garbage middle school RP document can basically be summed up like this

You've repeatedly said that you think the majority of the documentation is crap, that roleplay is fettered by OOC roleplay, people are boring, villains are cartoonish....so, I must ask, what exactly are you looking to have happen? Why exactly are you still here playing the game that you find so childish and boring? What you should have done, is apply to become staff. Instead, you chose to just sling insults OOC at the players, staff, and their creations, while remaining an unknown entity IC.

What are the changes that you are trying to implement IC and OOC to change things?

~ The girl behind Debia
Check out my website: www.ElanthianEvents.com
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AngelofSharath
Re: Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/19/2017 05:07 PM CST
You've repeatedly said that you think the majority of the documentation is crap, that roleplay is fettered by OOC roleplay, people are boring, villains are cartoonish....so, I must ask, what exactly are you looking to have happen? Why exactly are you still here playing the game that you find so childish and boring? What you should have done, is apply to become staff. Instead, you chose to just sling insults OOC at the players, staff, and their creations, while remaining an unknown entity IC.
What are the changes that you are trying to implement IC and OOC to change things?
~ The girl behind Debia

I'm trying very hard to be "the old dog that learns a new trick" and be a bit less high strung and more relaxed in life.

So, a HUGE thank you to the player behind Debia for saying, so very eloquently I might add, exactly what I have been thinking and wanting so badly to toss out there.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/19/2017 07:28 PM CST
>>I'm trying very hard to be "the old dog that learns a new trick" and be a bit less high strung and more relaxed in life.

How's that working? I might need a coach. . .

Doug
Re: Vaalor liking Phoen and disliking Oleani 12/20/2017 01:09 AM CST
Are you quoting a post that was deleted? I don't think what you quoted has anything to do with this thread so maybe you replied to the wrong place or she deleted her post since it didn't have anything to do with this discussion.