Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/21/2017 12:46 AM CDT
Wow. This section of the forums seems abandoned. Only one post in 2017, and in January.

I have a couple questions, as Monks are now firmly established and have been available for several years now if memory serves.

First, do Monks have any GM in charge of them?

Second, could we please get a status update from that GM, if he or she exists, on the development of the unimplemented Monk spells?
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/21/2017 01:21 AM CDT
Professions don't have gurus anymore. But Finros did UAC and possibly another team worked on the minor mental spell list.

The unimplemented Minor Mental spells seem to be: Telekinesis (1206), Shroud of Deception (1212), and Mindwipe (1225).

1212 especially looks cool and satisfies the lack of monk utility perception, but I'd also imagine it is difficult to mesh with many old systems. Hopefully, they get implemented!
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/22/2017 05:47 PM CDT

While monks are currently the only profession that can cast the Minor Mentle circle, I wouldn't think of them as "monk spells." Monks are squares
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/22/2017 10:46 PM CDT
Squares don't need spells because they have cmans.
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/25/2017 07:26 AM CDT
Any GM update on when these spells will be implemented? It's been years.
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/25/2017 05:41 PM CDT

Well, let's look at the spells, and see if they're intended to be a "monk" spell.

1206: Requires Spell Aiming. Monks can only train 1x in Spell Aiming and it requires a whopping 5/20 TPs per rank. Costly. Probably, at best, a far-post cap goal.

1212: Neat spell, but doesn't really have a combat benefit, as do most spells. I see this being a good RP tool, or possibly, used by folks to increase buying/selling rates.

1225: This seems like a highly useful spell, if not overpowered. I expect there will need to be other changes made before this could really be released.

So, all in all, I wouldn't expect these spells until savants are released
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/25/2017 07:12 PM CDT
It has been confirmed that Savants are not now, nor will they be in the foreseeable future, something that's worked on.

So guess what? Monks have a spell group, and Monks are likely the only ones who will ever have it. If that spell group has spells you feel are better suited to another profession that A) doesn't exist or B) has no access to that spell group, maybe it would be of benefit to the development team to develop spells for this spell group that suit the only profession that has and likely ever will have it. If it is intended for these spells to only be useful to Savants, perhaps they could put them in a spell group called SAVANT CIRCLE, or even MAJOR MENTAL.

The fact remains that there are 3 spells in this spell group, to which Monks are the only profession with access, which are not implemented. A spell circle I might add, especially for the two people above who have clearly never even seen a monk, much less played one, must be trained by the Monk to have any chance of success in their training without relying on outside spells.

Furthermore, judging by the posts in this section of the forums, it was in 2014 that Monks were released. There are three completely missing levels of spell still, after three years. We're not talking about level 50 spells, either. We're talking about level 6, and level 12, and in the case of 1212 especially, more of a flavor spell for Monks than anything else. The spell group was started, but not finished, and I think 3 years is a fair enough grace period to be patient in waiting for an update regarding development before asking for one. Now I'm asking for one.

Savants are not part of the equation because they do not exist, have not existed, are not being brought into existence currently or in the foreseeable future, and likely never will be.

You might want to put future arguments about Savants into the Savant section of these forums. Oh wait...
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/25/2017 07:21 PM CDT

lol. they're not "monk" spells.

>You might want to put future arguments about Savants into the Savant section of these forums. Oh wait...

You might want to put future inquiries about the Minor Mental circle in the Minor Mental folder over here

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Magic%20Spells%60Systems/Minor%20Mental%20Circle/view
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/25/2017 07:26 PM CDT
I know for a fact that at least one of them is a well post-cap monk.
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/26/2017 06:18 AM CDT
>1206: Requires Spell Aiming. Monks can only train 1x in Spell Aiming and it requires a whopping 5/20 TPs per rank. Costly. Probably, at best, a far-post cap goal.

It ought to have all sorts of RP uses though. I used fire spirit quite a lot despite not being trained in spell aim, just to burn stuff. e.g. using TK to throw a critter's weapon at it would be a fun thing even without any chance of doing it significant damage.

One of the things a monk ought to be able to do is levitate themselves and self targetted 1206 would be a good way to implement it.

>1212: Neat spell, but doesn't really have a combat benefit, as do most spells. I see this being a good RP tool, or possibly, used by folks to increase buying/selling rates.

There were signs this was being worked on at one point. I'd expected it to be released some time ago. I guess some GM lost enthusiasm while wondering how to code some of the effects.

>1225: This seems like a highly useful spell, if not overpowered. I expect there will need to be other changes made before this could really be released.

Really tricky to balance without either making it overpowered or making it so that the only things it works on are ones that are pretty weak to start with. Quite likely impossible to get right without either being OP in the hands of a savant or only RP use for a monk.

I still think the biggest omission in MnM is the equivalent to 430, a post cap TD booster.
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/26/2017 07:51 AM CDT
3 years' delay is, to put it mildly, "nothing".
(There was an announcement in 2008 about advanced information so players could prep... in 2012 Coase was announcing changes to Voln due to Unarmed Combat as part of the Monk release. That delay in releasing the profession in the first place, is already longer than what you're comparing to with some spell slots.)

I had played for a year and a half before Sorcerers had more than two (that's 2) spells: blood burst, and touch of destruction. The Bard list was still completely unimplemented.

The game's a work in progress. You play it "as-is" (that's actually part of the TAC/TOS). New stuff comes in. Old stuff changes.

Be a good monk, meditate on a mountaintop somewhere and learn patience with the universe. :)
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/26/2017 09:00 AM CDT
The fact that the company has an abysmal history of announcement to implementation is not a reason not to ask for an update. And that's literally the only thing I'm doing.

I'm not going to be put on the cross for asking for a status update. It is a legitimate and completely reasonably request.
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/26/2017 09:51 AM CDT

>It is a legitimate and completely reasonably request.

I agree. I disagree with your use of terms, or the fact that they are specifically "monk spells", and have pointed you to the correct place to ask about the Minor Mental circle.
Re: Unimplemented Monk Spells 05/26/2017 09:52 AM CDT
They're still spells we want and plan to implement, but they're not actively being worked at this moment.

GameMaster Estild