Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 10/10/2016 06:49 PM CDT
Prior to today, I was able to multi-cast 104 and 105 on other characters, and cast them multiple times (stacking)... today, I try to cast them on someone else (who had had it casted at them earlier, from a cleric with more 100's training than I), and the spells misfire. Here's a log:

---
>104 XXX
[voodoo]>prepare 104
[voodoo]>cast XXX
You murmur softly under your breath, preparing the Disease Resistance spell...
>
You gesture at XXX.
Your spell misfires.
>
>105 XXX
[voodoo]>prepare 105
[voodoo]>cast XXX
You murmur softly under your breath, preparing the Poison Resistance spell...
>
You gesture at XXX.
Your spell misfires.
---

Did 104 & 105 get changed to be refreshable, and single-cast, like 103/202/1601/etc.?

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 10/11/2016 01:51 AM CDT

It's not a bug it's a feature.
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 10/11/2016 08:28 AM CDT
This is a problem with the lore benefit (specifically, Blessing Lore). It's implemented terribly, and I've complained probably for years about it (along with other spells that work similiarly). Spirit Warding II (107) has the lore benefit controlled in a reasonable way, but Disease Resist (104) and Poison Resist (105) have it done terribly.

Just wait until someone else, with more lore than you, casts 104 or 105 on yourself and you can't even refresh your native spells without STOPping them first and killing all the existing duration.
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 10/11/2016 08:52 AM CDT

Not sure on 104 or 105 but know they fixed that issue with 103. If someone cast higher then i, i can still cast to 4 hours.
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 10/11/2016 05:38 PM CDT
<<This is a problem with the lore benefit (specifically, Blessing Lore). It's implemented terribly, and I've complained probably for years about it (along with other spells that work similiarly). Spirit Warding II (107) has the lore benefit controlled in a reasonable way, but Disease Resist (104) and Poison Resist (105) have it done terribly.>>

Oy, I would guess that this is what the problem was. Casting 104/105 at a fresh-from-dead character, I had no problem with the multi-cast+stacking.

Thanks for the responses, and good to know just why 104/105 were acting wonky!

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 10/13/2016 07:45 AM CDT
>Not sure on 104 or 105 but know they fixed that issue with 103

There's no lore benefit to 103. I would guess you may be thinking of 107, where they effectively make the lore benefit a second spell (as far as the way it appears to me overall...it should still be dispelled as a single spell, etc).

Just for the record, there may or may not be some Paladin spells that also have these issues. I believe some of them were resolved. The main thing is Paladins are not one of the most prominent professions, and mine is in River's Rest, so I practically never hunt with another paladin to test it.
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 12/12/2016 05:08 PM CST
Can we PLEASE get this fixed? It's super frustrating and shouldn't be too hard to fix, since it's already been updated on 103. Thanks!
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 12/13/2016 06:27 AM CST
The scroll cast duration of these still seems wrong too. (I get 30 minutes for 101, 103, 107 etc. but only 20 for these though it ought to be the same)

Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 12/13/2016 10:59 AM CST
BARDLADY
Can we PLEASE get this fixed? It's super frustrating and shouldn't be too hard to fix, since it's already been updated on 103. Thanks!

As others have explained, this is working correctly. What part do you think is a bug?

RATHBONER
The scroll cast duration of these still seems wrong too. (I get 30 minutes for 101, 103, 107 etc. but only 20 for these though it ought to be the same)

This should now be fixed. Thanks for reporting it.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 12/18/2016 02:53 PM CST
>As others have explained, this is working correctly. What part do you think is a bug?

They would like to be able to stack the duration on a target with 104/105 even when the new caster has fewer lore ranks than the original caster.

I don't think that (most) people in this thread think it's a bug, they just want a QoL fix to let them cast the spell. After all, I imagine most people wear these spells as dispel fodder or simply because they were on the list of spells that their Lich script decided to cast.

Personally, I don't see a balance issue in letting a lower-skilled caster refresh the spell, even at the hire lore bonus. Call it static lore friction vs. kinetic lore friction: you might not be able to cast a spell that powerful, but you can keep it going.

If players game the system to get 104 from a postcap cleric for +20 to their poison TD checks and maintain it themselves afterwards... yeah, I don't think it'll hurt the game much.

In a related note, I really dislike the "Your spell misfires." failure message. It doesn't help diagnose the reason the spell failed; it sounds way worse than it is, often scaring the heck out of new players[1]; and it's not at all obvious that the other characters around don't get a "misfire" message.
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 12/18/2016 02:56 PM CST
edits:

higher lore bonus

[1] I used to apologize to people decades ago when unstun and other spells misfired, and I still see it happening in-game. I usually whisper OOC to those people these days saying, "Don't worry, we didn't see a 'misfire' message, just nothing happens."
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 12/19/2016 02:55 PM CST

ha!

Clunk, who has recently been struggling to learn to read, and learn how to use the items he has (who knew they had magics), recently found that he has a Ring from the time of the Red Rot that casts Disease Resistance.

Not knowing magics has helped to avoid it crumbling.

Old Items like these, is there a way their properties can become known through Analyze?
I fear I have sold, gifted, or lockered any number of items with either unknown or forgotten characteristics. (Such is the life of a magic abhorring dwarf)

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Poison And Disease Resistance On Others? 12/20/2016 01:34 PM CST
<Old Items like these, is there a way their properties can become known through Analyze?
I fear I have sold, gifted, or lockered any number of items with either unknown or forgotten characteristics. (Such is the life of a magic abhorring dwarf)>

As I understand it, ANALYZE information is manually entered by a GM rather then being a script that looks at and reports on an item's properties.

It would be nice if older items could have ANALYZE info added, but I can't imagine how many hundreds of hours it would take to cover all the items created in the 20 years (give or take) before the verb came around. So, as long as they keep being as diligent about adding the info to new items like they have been, I'll be content to have items I know are older sung to before getting rid of them.

What I'd REALLY like would be for the verb to work on items in shops (both player run and merchant ones).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.