Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 11/15/2014 11:54 PM CST
Water Walking is one of the few 'buff' or utility spells which has potentially negative side effects. There are a few areas that come to mind where you cannot enter with 112 active.

The ones that come to mind are: the Monastery, the Wolves' Den, and potentially the area across Maelstrom (for anyone with swimming skill but not enough climbing skill).

One option is to allow all spells that are not spells of war to be stopped by anyone.

Another is to consider Water Walking a spell of war so it cannot be cast in Sanctuaries, and also so that people who don't want it at least have a warding chance. (This is the worst option)

The third option is to remove the downsides to Water Walking so it doesn't hinder anyone's ability to enter areas if the spell is active (best option).

Personally, I love the spell. But it's common around RR that anyone who knows the spell casts it at anyone who is seen to be dripping with water. The only way to get rid of it is successive dispel or waiting it out. I understand maybe people should ask before casting spells at others, but it's not generally considered a bad thing to cast at people to help them out!

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 11/16/2014 12:14 AM CST
Perhaps change the spell so any use of SWIM removes it?

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 11/16/2014 12:29 AM CST
Yeah for those of us with alts or even mains who don't climb it really sucks to be cut off from your hunting area. Especially if you are left without a way to easily dispell which may strip all the spells you actually want first. It has in the past over the years led to much ocasionally griping and grief in rr both in the game itself and on the town boards. A solution to this would truely be nice, personally I think the ability to still swim while using it would be best, or if not that then letting anyone stop it.

Imagine not being able to hunt for half an hour or far more because someone was just trying to be nice, or maybe not being able to explore the bottom of the bay like you wanted. Or even simply to SWIM because you suddenly cant. Some people do like to swim ya know!

It just seems a lot of headache to be caused by what should be a simple buff spell.

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""
Re: Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 11/17/2014 07:57 AM CST
The one that I'd really like to be able to stop is 204. Essential for some hunting, but makes me look as if I am hiding/AFK on SERVICE when I am actually available.
Re: Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 12/21/2014 02:38 PM CST

This happens to me all the time now that I hunt monastery. I cast a lot of mass-spells, and people will frequently throw stuff on me in return (trying to be nice!). It's a bummer that this has very annoying consequences for me and I have to seek out a bard to unravel so I can hunt again.
Re: Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 12/22/2014 01:53 PM CST
Could we get an NIR comment on this?

Is there some coding difficulty (it checks what you know and the check is in such and such a way etc that makes it challenging)? Or is it a design issue where this is meant to purposely give downsides to free-to-all buff spells?

Just wondering. I probably say it a lot, but it seems to me like something with fair consensus from the player end and what would appear on the surface to be a rather simple fix.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 12/22/2014 01:54 PM CST
PS: Is the Monastery door still stuck open? If not, +1 daid for bug report (give the bonus experience to Flail)

Water Walking Update 01/09/2015 12:16 AM CST
The Monastery entrance pool and Maelstrom Bay have been updated to like Water Walking more.

Water Walking, in both instances, no longer restricts players from swimming below the surface of the water. Both areas have also been tweaked to grant players with Water Walking a bonus to swimming difficulties.

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 01/09/2015 12:19 AM CST
>>PS: Is the Monastery door still stuck open? If not, +1 daid for bug report (give the bonus experience to Flail)

The Monastery door is no longer stuck open. The familiar puzzle in the area should also be working again, now.

-KEIOS

Re: Allow STOP on Water Walking, etc 01/09/2015 12:26 AM CST
>>The one that I'd really like to be able to stop is 204. Essential for some hunting, but makes me look as if I am hiding/AFK on SERVICE when I am actually available.

This has also been updated, so that Unpresence does not hide you from the SERVICE listings.

-KEIOS

Re: Water Walking Update 01/09/2015 09:45 AM CST

Excellent!
Re: Water Walking Update 01/09/2015 11:56 AM CST
THANK YOU!

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""
Re: Water Walking Update 01/09/2015 11:31 PM CST

Yayy! Keios strikes again!
Re: Water Walking Update 01/11/2015 11:15 PM CST
Thanks Keios! Really awesome!

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Water Walking Update 01/11/2015 11:20 PM CST
PS: Was I mistaken about Wolves' Den not preventing entry with 112? It's been a long time since I went there.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Water Walking Update 01/11/2015 11:38 PM CST
You are all quite welcome. My thanks to GM Estild, GM Sleken, and GM Modrian for the speedy QC.

>>PS: Was I mistaken about Wolves' Den not preventing entry with 112? It's been a long time since I went there.

I did check it out when you mentioned that Water Walking barred entry. That particular area, and Darkstone, had been fixed up some time previous.

-KEIOS

Re: Water Walking Update 02/11/2015 01:46 PM CST
These are all awesome updates to water walking! I'm a bit late, but thanks just the same! =)

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 04:12 AM CST
Water walking is now broken for me.

I have to cross maelstrom bay to get to my hunting area and I just came back to the game after a few months break.

Before > cast water walking...walk on top of water across maelstrom bay.

NOW > cast water walking...sink, have 10 second RT when moving, and die.

After some testing it seems now encumberance is factoring alot more into wether you sink or stay on top of the water. The spell is no longer useable for me since this update, since I dont hunt with 0 encumbrance as a spell caster.

HELP!
Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 06:51 AM CST
To quote Tool: learn to swim.

Seriously though, I haven't had any problems with the new 112 myself, but then I only use it to get out to hunting grounds with my sorcerer and empath and I rarely stop in the middle of the trip.... I have several better ways to get them both back to town.

If you're headed out on hunts already encumbered, I'd strongly suggest getting in the habit of keeping anything you don't need during a hunt in your locker and hunting as light as possible before you get to the Keep (I know how much of a PITA this can be, esp for smaller races, I have a gnome that calls RR home). If you don't, the maneuvers of necrotic snakes, chimera, and tomb trolls will make the Keep a miserable place and the Citadel will only be worse.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 07:40 AM CST
Thanks for the unwanted advice on equipment management. I had already been hunting the keep for months before I left the game so I know what encumbrance level I need to not die there. That level is no longer working with 112.

My post is concerning the mechanics changes to 112, and how they have rendered the spell, and my hunting area useless. Hoping to get some feedback from Keios on this. Really really hoping this was by accident and not an intentional change, that would mean I can no longer hunt the keep and will basically never use 112 again.
Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 09:23 AM CST
>Thanks for the unwanted advice on equipment management.

My perceived attitude of this post makes me reluctant to comment at all.

> that would mean I can no longer hunt the keep and will basically never use 112 again.

Never say never. There are a lot of uses of Water Walking around the game in general. If you ever plan to walk from WL to Zul Logoth ever in your life, you'll probably want to use Water Walking in the Vipershroud. Still, the frustration is understandable.

I decided to do some testing and crossing Maelstrom Bay heavily encumbered, whether it is welcomed or not. I got some more RT than I was used to before, but also I never had crossed Maelstrom Bay heavily encumbered, anyway. I didn't test it long enough to see if I sunk, but I'll take your word that this can happen. In fact, between Planar Shift, Spirit Guide, and gold rings, it's been a long time since my sorcerer walked across the Bay in general, having graduated the Citadel like years ago.

I also have nothing to compare against, however, since I never had a habit to cross Maelstrom Bay like this.

>To quote Tool: learn to swim.

I got a laugh out of this. My best friend in high school (who is still known to play GS from time to time, but not the last couple years so much) had that quote written in white-out pen on his backpack.

I do have to at least say that Water Walking was "broken" for a number of players for many years (pretty much uh, forever). You might try telling them "Learn to Climb" but the statement fell on deaf ears. I was obviously in favor of this change, and I know for my character(s) that do cross Maelstrom Bay, using Water Walking, there has not been any problem for me since the spell was modified, either going to or returning from a hunt (though my Paladin only walks on the Bay if he has a child task). I am also not saying I have no sympathy for your plight, and that it should not be investigated. Still, choosing to be encumbered, without Water Walking you would definitely sink and drown. Water Walking improves the situation. Before, someone might cast Water Walking on you, which you could not prevent, and if you didn't have Climbing skill, it was then impossible to get to the hunting ground.

I'd like to know more insight on the details of this change. However, if it was a matter of choosing either only the present situation or the past situation, I would take the present.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 09:47 AM CST
>>I'd like to know more insight on the details of this change. However, if it was a matter of choosing either only the present situation or the past situation, I would take the present.

It was neither. The changes made to Waterwalk in the area only pertain to attempts to swim, not walk. When swimming, Waterwalk should, in addition to adding a flat bonus to your swimming, help negate some of the weight you are carrying that causes you to sink.

>>NOW > cast water walking...sink, have 10 second RT when moving, and die.

Please post, or email me, a log of what is happening during your walk across Maelstrom?

-KEIOS

Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 10:14 AM CST
>>>I'd like to know more insight on the details of this change. However, if it was a matter of choosing either only the present situation or the past situation, I would take the present.

>It was neither.

Yes. I also didn't know if there was a change to this point at all. Someone is claiming a change between a few months ago and now, and assuming these changes are to blame.

Here is a log from me:

You step off the dock, landing in the river with a splash!
[Tempest River, North Fork]
A floating dock on the south bank creates a peaceful eddy between the river current pushing from the west and the current from the waves of Maelstrom Bay to the west. Despite the sunlight winking on the small whitecaps, the sandy bottom of the river is visible. High cliffs line the far bank. The river widens to the west as it moves into the mouth of Maelstrom Bay. To the east the current is too powerful and swift to swim against. The dock leads to the veranda of the Stone Eye Inn.
Obvious paths: west
[go2]>west
Your extreme weight makes it possible to move slowly along the bottom.
Round time: 10 sec.
The current hugs the northern bank of the wide river. Towering above the rocky bank is a sheer, unclimbable cliff. The top of the cliff is lost in the sunlight. The sandy bottom of the riverbed is visible through the clear water. To the west the river widens into the mouth of Maelstrom Bay.
Obvious paths: east, west
[go2]>west
Your extreme weight makes it possible to move slowly along the bottom.
Round time: 10 sec.
The wide Tempest River and the great Maelstrom Bay converge, creating choppy water that makes it difficult to see the sandy floor of the river. The cliff that forms the northern bank curves to the northeast. On the south bank, barely visible from the water, is a sandy point stretching into the river. The bay opens to the west. The river runs to the east.
Obvious paths: east, west, northwest

I have no logs to compare from before the change. I never tried walking across Maelstrom Bay with 110% encumbrance before because...I usually use Phase.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 10:30 AM CST
You always trudged along the bottom when you were overweight even with water walking on. This is not a new change.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 11:46 AM CST
Basically exactly what DAID posted.

The difference is before, I would empty my loot from a hunt, boxes, gems etc. Then whatever else was in my inventory I would be fine in terms of encumberance. I would have water walking on, and encounter the normal 3 second RT.

Now since the changes, I unload any loot. And I encounter what DAID posted, 10 second RT with messaging that im walking on the bottom, ie. water walking is not keeping me afloat. I tried taking off my armor, and removing everything i could, and got my encumbrance down to almost 0, then I floated with 3 second RT as I should. But I never had to strip my armor off and remove everything before. I would say it could be something super heavy in my inventory, but my other character is having the same problem and he hardly carries anything at all. So it seems the encumbrance threshold for if the spell is working or not, has been affected somehow. Unfortunately I cant really test what it was before, since I dont have access to a pre-changed version of the spell.
Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 01:28 PM CST
>>Now since the changes, I unload any loot. And I encounter what DAID posted, 10 second RT with messaging that im walking on the bottom, ie. water walking is not keeping me afloat. I tried taking off my armor, and removing everything i could, and got my encumbrance down to almost 0, then I floated with 3 second RT as I should. But I never had to strip my armor off and remove everything before. I would say it could be something super heavy in my inventory, but my other character is having the same problem and he hardly carries anything at all. So it seems the encumbrance threshold for if the spell is working or not, has been affected somehow. Unfortunately I cant really test what it was before, since I dont have access to a pre-changed version of the spell.

I've done some testing and reviewing of the code, and I see what has happened here.
The code for handling the walking on the bottom of the bay is not exactly clear and concise. Short story, the way the mechanics of the area are supposed to work is open for debate based on how the old code was written.

I've restored the mechanics for walking on the surface to how the code worked previously, with no danger of sinking. Players will also still be able to SWIM beneath the surface with Waterwalking applied for a swim bonus. Please be aware, though, that your perfect buoyancy with waterwalking only applies for WALKING on the surface. If you decide to SWIM, your buoyancy will go back to being calculated based on your encumberance and swimming skill.

-KEIOS

Re: Water Walking Update 03/05/2015 09:48 PM CST
Sounds very fair.

Incidentally, the part of the logs I posted is usually 0 RT with Water Walking, I think. It's in the first stretch where you can't dive under. So 10 seconds vs. 0 seconds is...an infinite difference ^_^

Re: Water Walking Update 03/06/2015 02:51 AM CST
Awesome! Thank you for looking into this, sorry i came off as frustrated. But i just came back to the game and couldnt for the life of me get to my hunting spot :D

Sounds like it is working as it should, will try when i get home from work tonight. Cheers!
Re: Water Walking Update 03/06/2015 03:13 AM CST
>Awesome! Thank you for looking into this, sorry i came off as frustrated.

It's very understandable. In fact, the whole thread arose from years of frustration. I finally posted on the topic with lots of details, but was not one of the players experiencing any issues. Indeed, my issue was highlighting the names of characters that did not want Water Walking cast on them, or having to dispel them after accidentally casting Water Walking and re-cast everything!

Re: Water Walking Update 03/06/2015 10:35 AM CST
>>Awesome! Thank you for looking into this, sorry i came off as frustrated. But i just came back to the game and couldnt for the life of me get to my hunting spot :D

You're quite welcome. The fix was intended only to be beneficial to players. I apologize for the frustrations you experienced.

>>Sounds like it is working as it should, will try when i get home from work tonight. Cheers!

If you run into any other issues, please let me know.

-KEIOS

Re: Water Walking Update 03/08/2015 05:51 AM CDT
It's working as before now by the way. I stay afloat with no problems!