IC explanation of this magic? 10/02/2014 12:51 PM CDT
What is the IC explanation of the "rote" magic that is this circle of magic? Who or what exactly are the lesser spirits that are being summoned to do our will?

I'm looking for an IC answer, something my character would come to understand as he was being taught the spells in the 100 series.

Thank you!

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
Re: IC explanation of this magic? 10/02/2014 02:19 PM CDT
All things are animated by spirit (literally anima = spirit). The greater the thing the greater the spirit and the lesser the thing the lesser the spirit.

When you see a blade of grass move in the wind, that is because the spirit of the blade of grass is being tickled by the spirit of the wind.

While the blade of grass exists, its spirit is tightly bound to it and not easily moved to animate something else, but countless blades of grass are being eaten by countless roltons all the time, and their spirits are set lose and wander until something new catches them and they animate it.

This may be a new blade of grass, or a wisp of wool on the back of a rolton, or they might be caught by the magic of a spiritualist and animate a spell. Just as there are countless blades of grass, so there are countless unattached spirits that can be harnessed by those with the skill to do so.
Re: IC explanation of this magic? 10/05/2014 11:40 PM CDT
My short answer is totally unhelpful but, it's magic!

But it's of course a really interesting question, and from what ideas it really draws, I'm uncertain. My character is known -- sometimes -- to refer to even things like traps on boxes as "evil spirits" that have to be removed. Now that character is pretty insane, but among the odd looks I've gotten for such a claim, being OOC was certainly never one of the reasons I'm aware of.

I've had some interest in writing a discourse on (at least) elemental and spiritual mana. My emphasis would be things like teleportation and the origins of life and how they are connected. But uh...don't expect it any time soon.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: IC explanation of this magic? 10/16/2014 11:48 AM CDT
That is a really beautiful explanation Rath. I'm suddenly tempted to play a very spiritualist cleric with that frame of mind.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: IC explanation of this magic? 10/19/2014 10:20 AM CDT
Unless you're a sorcerer. Then it is:

"Every sprouting tree
"Every child of peace
"Every cloud and sea
"You see with your eyes
"I see destruction and demise"

~~ Clint Eastwood, Gorillaz.

Magarven the Mad