Water Walking 12/10/2012 03:22 PM CST
Does Water Walking make training in Swimming unnecessary to reach all the areas in the game that require it?

Chad, player of a few
Re: Water Walking 12/10/2012 03:24 PM CST
It does not. Even with waterwalking up, I need to make the swim to Nelemar, for example. It may provide a bonus, but it does not negate the need for swimming by any means.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Water Walking 12/10/2012 03:28 PM CST

It does not, the swims to the Rift, OTF, the Thanatoph bowels and Nelemar all require you to swim while submerged. Places like Maelstrom Bay and Kenstrom's last temporary hunting ground with the ships benefit from water walking because you are traversing over the water to get to a location. You risk drowning and having your dead body floating back to the top if you don't have enough swim ranks for the former.
Re: Water Walking 12/10/2012 03:30 PM CST
Thank you for the responses. Good to know.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Water Walking 12/12/2012 07:37 PM CST
Water Walking makes training in swimming unneeded for the places that Water Walking works, I believe.

In that sense, I think your question is more which places Water Walking works to avoid swimming, and the answer is not very many.

A short (but likely incomplete listing) can be found here: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/112

> It may provide a bonus, but it does not negate the need for swimming by any means.

As far as I know, it doesn't give a bonus to swimming, it instead allows one to walk on the water as a replacement to swimming under very particular conditions. There are some swampy terrains it removes the chance for getting stuck in the mud (incurring RT), so it is also useful in those cases. (Someone might check the swamp in the Upper Trollfang and see if it applies there as well.)

Living around River's Rest I can say Water Walking is really great (people even ask for the spell sometimes, which might be a request you've never heard). But it could probably have more uses within Elanthia, in terms of which water areas it can work, as well as perhaps giving an actual bonus to the swimming skill (lore benefit?). I have a suspicion that for a majority of players, the main function of Water Walking is dispel foder; if it's really true, it hints strongly at a need for improvement.

I don't have in mind that Water Walking should entirely be a replacement for swimming. This is particularly true for places where swimming underwater is involved (Darkstone entrance, krolvin ship area, Wolves' Den come immediately to mind). An actual swimming bonus, some magical resistance to water attacks, or more places where it did anything, however, would likely be welcome improvements.

~daid (player of Kaldonis)
Re: Water Walking 12/12/2012 11:00 PM CST
>>As far as I know, it doesn't give a bonus to swimming, it instead allows one to walk on the water as a replacement to swimming under very particular conditions. <<

In some places, water walking actually prevents swimming. You can't dive under the water when trying to get entry into Darkstone via the pool, if you have water walking in effect. On the other hand, water walking DOES aid the swim into Nelemar, in that it helps you not be dragged off course by the current. Go go figure. (OK, Darkstone is one of the older areas around, while Nelemar is pretty new; clearly different coding is in effect for water walking in the two different areas).

The only other places I know of where water walking is useful are River Rest and the swim to Imaera's Isle.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Water Walking 12/12/2012 11:15 PM CST
<<<(Someone might check the swamp in the Upper Trollfang and see if it applies there as well.)>>>

>n
You easily walk across the surface water of the swamp.
[Upper Trollfang]
This is the northeastern corner of a great expanse of swampy land. The path appears to lead deeper into the mist shrouded moors as it runs south. You also see a greater orc.
Obvious paths: northeast, south
>

Yep! :)

~ Heathyr
Re: Water Walking 12/13/2012 03:20 AM CST
<In some places, water walking actually prevents swimming. You can't dive under the water when trying to get entry into Darkstone via the pool, if you have water walking in effect.>

Crossing Maelstrom Bay you can't swim under the water while under the effects of 112 either, preventing you from swimming down to skip the climbing check. You need either a hard 15 ranks in Climbing or 10-15 ranks in Swimming to cross the Bay (or both).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Water Walking 12/13/2012 04:18 AM CST
I believe you can use it while crossing the small lake/river/pond/whatever near Ravelin, which lets you get to the Sorcerer's Isle hunting ground in Vaalor. Actually very useful, since the alternative is to take a boat (or swim).
Re: Water Walking 12/13/2012 07:49 AM CST
Water walking helps with swimming in some places. See the old post below.

GS4-MESTYS

Re: Swimming ยท on 10/17/2006 3:19:03 PM 2734

Water Walking (112) will provide a bonus in some situations in and around the new hunting area, including the swim to the temple and resistance to the triton drown attacks. The rationale is that the spell assists with maneuverability in the water. All standard swims in the game were given the same update.

-M.
Re: Water Walking 12/13/2012 08:16 AM CST
Its water that really needs better coding, rather than more water barriers in the game. Those that have water walking aren't much impacted by not casting it, but armored squares get hurt badly by water barriers. 3 of the last 4 temporary hunting grounds I tried to visit were practically inaccessiblle to squares without waterwalking (and the one that had critters on the water was worse, since some attacks were parsed as hot tub RP verbs).

Armor coding in water is plain daft too. Wear one suit and sink like a stone. Carry five suits in the cloak you are wearing without a problem.
Re: Water Walking 12/13/2012 06:16 PM CST
>On the other hand, water walking DOES aid the swim into Nelemar, in that it helps you not be dragged off course by the current. Go go figure.
>The only other places I know of where water walking is useful are River Rest and the swim to Imaera's Isle.

You're forgetting that in addition to the swim into Nelemar, it also provides a bonus against the drowning CMAN that triton are so fond of.

--Jurp
Re: Water Walking 12/17/2012 03:09 PM CST

This thread, even if it does not lead to any new tweaks to the game, has been slightly interesting. I like that bit about the swamp in trollfang and most definitely will be using waterwalking in Nelemar for the tritons. A thought that comes to mind, does waterwalking have any uses in the waterways of Mist Harbor?

Lochiven
Re: Water Walking 12/21/2012 07:08 PM CST
>does waterwalking have any uses in the waterways of Mist Harbor?

think you have to be in a canoe or whatever. i remember this issue from when I tried to map the area for Narost (but screwed up so the update wasnt incorporated)

~Moredin
Re: Water Walking 12/21/2012 07:10 PM CST
>You need either a hard 15 ranks in Climbing or 10-15 ranks in Swimming to cross the Bay (or both).

yeah I'd recommend 10 ranks swimming, but you can get by with 5 if you have 112 on (walk to the area, STOP 112, swim down a few then get in that way, then when you're ready to leave cast 112 again and climb down the pathway or go through the opening again.)

~Moredin
Re: Water Walking 12/22/2012 08:44 PM CST

<3 of the last 4 temporary hunting grounds I tried to visit were practically inaccessiblle to squares without waterwalking (and the one that had critters on the water was worse, since some attacks were parsed as hot tub RP verbs). >

If you take off your armor an stow it, you can swim much easier, I found that out the hard way by quickly sinking when wearing it, but you still need some swimming trains.
Re: Water Walking 12/22/2012 08:47 PM CST

<A thought that comes to mind, does waterwalking have any uses in the waterways of Mist Harbor?>

Water walking generally cannot be used in any areas with more then a light chop, as you cant really walk over waves, the water has to be fairly calm or glassy. There are of course a few exceptions here an there or for special places, but that is supposed to be the rule of thumb.