Returning Locates 03/22/2012 10:14 PM CDT
Okay, at first I thought this might be a neat feature. At 30 ranks of summoning lore, you can cast locate in a room where somebody has been located within 30 seconds to see who located. Fine...but...

It seems like EVERY time I locate a body, I get located back. Mind you, there's a DEAD BODY there. Obviously I'm locating the dead person. So the living people should have NO reason to feel compelled to find out who's looking, aside from their own burning curiosity. Am I the only one who finds this extremely rude?

It would be different if you were alone in a room and got located. I totally understand returning a locate then. That's what I thought the return feature was for. But just because you CAN do a thing doesn't mean you MUST do a thing. I feel like MY privacy is invaded. I'm almost to the point of just giving up locating bodies. Let somebody else get them.

Sometimes anonymity is a good thing. I don't want everybody knowing where I am and what I'm doing just because I took the time to try to help somebody. Bah.

~ Heathyr
Re: Returning Locates 03/22/2012 10:25 PM CDT
Does Unpresence block returning locates?

~D
AIM: Delcian

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected." - TD

Seven stars in your cloak shine brightly, forming The Gryphon in the twinkling night sky.
Re: Returning Locates 03/22/2012 11:18 PM CDT
<<Does Unpresence block returning locates?>>

Yes.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Returning Locates 03/23/2012 04:30 AM CDT
It is just a locate? I have never felt my privacy was invaded by it, especially when in a public place. All it is is a look into a room you are in. And perhaps they wanted to see who was locating so they could ascertain if you were a cleric or an empath, because they are one of the two.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Returning Locates 03/23/2012 10:33 AM CDT

You can unpresence(204), go invisible(916/glass amulet) or hide right after casting if where you are is extremely important to keep private.
Re: Returning Locates 03/23/2012 11:25 AM CDT
Unpresence is a good idea, I need to have a gem made. But don't get me wrong, it's not a matter of being secretive, it's just annoyingly bad etiquette. I don't locate people unless I have a good reason. If you're with a body, you have to expect people will be locating the BODY, not you...so you're basically invading someone's privacy by being nosy. It's not a bid deal; call it a pet peeve if you will. It's not about hiding anything. It's simply irritating, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

~ HH
Re: Returning Locates 03/23/2012 05:45 PM CDT

Unpresence is a good idea, I need to have a gem made. But don't get me wrong, it's not a matter of being secretive, it's just annoyingly bad etiquette. I don't locate people unless I have a good reason. If you're with a body, you have to expect people will be locating the BODY, not you...so you're basically invading someone's privacy by being nosy. It's not a bid deal; call it a pet peeve if you will. It's not about hiding anything. It's simply irritating, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

~ HH

I don't consider it bad etiquette. I'll actually locate people that have located me and a body to insure they aren't wasting their time coming to a situation that doesn't require them, or so that I don't waste my time with a corpse that doesn't want me.

My experience may be skewed however, as I usually stumble across corpses in the rift which tend to get separated from the people rescuing them, and nothing ticks me off more than to run from plane 4 to 2 and find someone's already taken the corpse to the cavern.

Dgry
Re: Returning Locates 03/23/2012 07:32 PM CDT
>My experience may be skewed however, as I usually stumble across corpses in the rift which tend to get separated from the people rescuing them, and nothing ticks me off more than to run from plane 4 to 2 and find someone's already taken the corpse to the cavern.

That is a very good point, and I could see how a return locate in that instance would make sense. My beef is with the habitual locators who are just being nosy. Naturally, there are always good exceptions and it's impossible to tell which are which. Oh well, I guess it's my own hangup. :)

~ HH
Re: Returning Locates 02/18/2013 05:26 PM CST

I often will Return Locate if I'm with a body to determine if its another empath or a cleric looking in, that way I am not thinking to or getting another to come, or can head the person off if I know one is already coming.

The Drakes Mountaineer

Of course I almost always have Unpresence up.