Critter-cast Powersink (1203) 11/27/2016 03:34 PM CST
The new tree spirits in the Red Forest cast Powersink, and holy cow is it an annoying spell. Can it be looked at on creatures?

The wiki says it's "difficult to defend against", and there's no roll shown. I haven't yet seen my like-level empath actually resist it, although I could have missed it in the scroll. I'd imagine that 1109, 1119, or 1130 has to give some mental defense that'd help.

An extra 3 seconds of prep time is not a major hit, but it's an incredibly annoying inconvenience. Every spell turns into two steps rather than one: INCANT once to PREP, and INCANT again to CAST, like it's 1995 all over again. And once you're hit with no obvious chance to ward, it's a flat 2 minute duration.

It's not an unfair spell, it's not a deadly spell, it's just an incredibly unfun spell. If the duration was shorter on PCs, or it dropped when the caster was killed, or it faded after hindering 10 spells (that you could burn off between combats), or something else that hindered you for the current combat but not really beyond, then I wouldn't mind. But 2 minutes is an eternity when hunting.
Re: Critter-cast Powersink (1203) 11/27/2016 05:25 PM CST

Heh that spell is critter cast in SoS and yes it can be deadly if you do not pay attention. I cant say if i think its over power or not but i do ztep into a safe area to let the time run out so the spell drops.
Re: Critter-cast Powersink (1203) 11/28/2016 07:20 AM CST
AFAIK its like Sounds (level vs. level comparison). It might use exactly the same formula, or the note that its hard to defend against may mean you need 25 rather than 20 levels on the caster in order to bounce it. Its supposed to work for players uphunting somewhat, which means when critter cast its always going to hit like level hunters.
Re: Critter-cast Powersink (1203) 12/04/2016 12:48 PM CST
I don't mind it.

It used to be a lot worse.

I want spell store back, though.
:)
Re: Critter-cast Powersink (1203) 01/09/2017 09:27 AM CST
Powersink (1203) will now only last 60 seconds against player targets. It'll continue to last 120 seconds against creature targets.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Critter-cast Powersink (1203) 01/09/2017 01:14 PM CST
Thanks, Estild!
Re: Critter-cast Powersink (1203) 02/24/2017 09:47 PM CST

well heck, can we have damaging spells from other circles be more player friendly? less damaging, less stunning, etc...I mean getting hurt, webbed, stunned...that's all very annoying and such as well, but I don't see them becoming more player friendly so why make the monks spell more friendly towards players?

Caerwich
Re: Critter-cast Powersink (1203) 02/25/2017 10:21 AM CST
>Powersink (1203) will now only last 60 seconds against player targets. It'll continue to last 120 seconds against creature targets.

I thought I replied to this to say thanks, but I guess I didn't. Thanks!

>well heck, can we have damaging spells from other circles be more player friendly?

Sounds, a similar spell from a different circle, was also updated to change its duration from 2 minutes to 1 minute against players when this change went live. Both spells are debilitating but unlikely to be deadly, don't drop when the caster dies, and can easily be mitigated by walking to the nearest sanctuary in defensive stance and waiting out the duration.

That aside, I don't understand your concern. Is there a use case where Monks are being affected negatively? I can't imagine a PvP battle lasting longer than the 1-minute duration, and GS balance doesn't care about PvP anyway.