Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/17/2016 05:35 PM CDT
Just curious why Mental Dispel doesn't work on clouds. You can't even cast at the cloud and instead receive an error message with something like "You can't do that!"

Both Elemental and Spirit Dispel work on clouds though, so wondering why Mental Dispel got left out. Is it an oversight or was it done on purpose because the designer of the spell felt Mental Dispel shouldn't interact with clouds the same way Elemental and Spirit Dispel work?

It's not a huge deal either way, I don't come across clouds too often on my Monk. It's just one of those things that made me go "Hmm!"
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/18/2016 05:14 AM CDT
It sounds to me like the spell might have a legitimate use if it worked on clouds?

Sorry monks, we hate you forever.
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/18/2016 06:53 AM CDT
Its either a bug or you weren't actually targetting what you think you were. Dispels have priorities but they don't fail for out of circle reasons.
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/18/2016 02:52 PM CDT
>Its either a bug or you weren't actually targetting what you think you were. Dispels have priorities but they don't fail for out of circle reasons.

Well it's not a targeting problem. Here is the log:

Mirage-like distortions surround you as you prepare the Mental Dispel spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a gas cloud.
Don't be absurd.

I knew the wording sounded weird when I saw it, but I forgot the exact wording when I made my original post.

The whole "Don't be absurd" bit made me think it was a purposeful design decision. Like "Come on guy, you know this spell shouldn't work on a cloud."

It won't even let you cast at clouds, it just says "Don't be absurd" and you still have the spell prepped.
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/19/2016 06:22 AM CDT
That looks like a verb failure message rather than something specific to a particular spell. (You shouldn't even think of using whatever verb (INCANT? CAST?) you used on this sort of object)
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/19/2016 02:41 PM CDT
>That looks like a verb failure message rather than something specific to a particular spell. (You shouldn't even think of using whatever verb (INCANT? CAST?) you used on this sort of object)

Uh, are you saying the fault lies with how I cast the spell or are you indeed suggesting this is a bug, just a verb bug rather than a spell specific bug?

Because if it's the former the log clearly shows I gestured at a gas cloud, I'm not really sure how else I'm supposed to cast at a gas cloud other than casting at the gas cloud.
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/19/2016 02:50 PM CDT
Here is another log:

>prep 1218
Mirage-like distortions surround you as you prepare the Mental Dispel spell...
Your spell is ready.
>go path
You notice a Grimswarm orc cleric, a Grimswarm orc ranger, a rune staff, a dark cloud and an obscured path leading out.
Obvious paths: north
Your disk arrives, following you dutifully.
>cast clou
You gesture at a dark cloud.
Don't be absurd.
>l
You notice the Snooshezis disk, a Grimswarm orc cleric, a Grimswarm orc ranger, a rune staff, a dark cloud and an obscured path leading out.
Obvious paths: north

I don't see how this can possibly be anything I am doing wrong. I prepped the spell, I typed "cast clou", the game indicates I successfully tried to cast at the cloud, and the game tells me "Don't be absurd", I LOOK and the cloud is still there.

I'm willing to accept this is a bug or intentional game design but I don't see how this can be user error.
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/19/2016 03:40 PM CDT
>Uh, are you saying the fault lies with how I cast the spell or are you indeed suggesting this is a bug, just a verb bug rather than a spell specific bug?

Its a bug. Just commenting on the nature of it. You thought that message might indicate specific design for Mental Dispel, but it looks like a generic failure message to me.
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/19/2016 03:49 PM CDT
>Its a bug. Just commenting on the nature of it. You thought that message might indicate specific design for Mental Dispel, but it looks like a generic failure message to me.

Ah okay. I was confused there.
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/20/2016 10:03 AM CDT
Mental Dispel (1218) should now work against clouds and vines.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/20/2016 07:39 PM CDT
>Mental Dispel (1218) should now work against clouds and vines.

Vines, I hadn't even considered that one.

Thanks for the fix, Estild.
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/20/2016 07:47 PM CDT
Thanks for the fixes, Estild.

My monk is quite a while's away from needing to worry about this, but does 1218 seal voids?
Re: Why doesn't Mental Dispel work on clouds? 06/21/2016 12:25 AM CDT
Wait until you try it on those pesky arms. . . dern sorcerers anyways!

Doug