OTF - Provoke 03/20/2013 04:06 PM CDT
I guess I will be the first to mention this.

It seems there may be a bit of abuse taking place with this spell in OTF regarding a certain someone who operates multiple accounts at the same time. I've been biting my tongue for a while now, but since he was asked and refused, I figure I would put the request here.

Those of us out hunting OTF have always had to deal with the amount of critters a large hunting group brings in, it is par for the course. As frustrating as it is for one person to be controlling all those characters for themselves, it is not an abuse of anything, so we deal with it.

Recently, since monks were released, said person figured out they could use this spell to make the swarming about 3x worse in OTF making it IMPOSSIBLE for anyone not hunting with that group to stay there.

It has literally taken all the enjoyment out of hunting there and caused everyone to leave the area and hunt elsewhere. I'm one for balance and character RP, and I would like to stay in the EN, but seeing how this course has gone so far and said persons incapability to compromise, I don't think its going to be possible to stay here. It is really frustrating that a spell like that gives one person (or group) such out of control swarming it makes it literally impossible for anyone else in the area to stay there.

I would ask that something be done with the spell itself to either control the amount of swarming when used with a group that large or amount of people in the surrounding areas. It is absolutely ridiculous what is going on out there.
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/20/2013 04:34 PM CDT
You're not the first to mention it.

Doubt you'll be the last.

-farmer
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/21/2013 04:26 PM CDT
>It seems there may be a bit of abuse taking place with this spell in OTF regarding a certain someone who operates multiple accounts at the same time.

I wouldn't call it abuse, as it sounds like he is using the spell as intended. However, it does sound like it is disrupting the hunting ground to a point that was not intended.

>"Walkar says, "Yes, too many kings never work. Especially when there's only one throne. It's a wicked game."
>Shameless plug.
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/21/2013 06:24 PM CDT
<<<I wouldn't call it abuse, as it sounds like he is using the spell as intended. However, it does sound like it is disrupting the hunting ground to a point that was not intended.>>>

I think that's pretty close to "abuse", don't you? I know I wouldn't be a happy camper. If nothing else, it's just plain inconsiderate.

~ Heathyr
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/22/2013 12:12 AM CDT

If it is directly causing other players to die and said persons using it refuse to stop even when asked nicely.. that is abuse.
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/22/2013 12:47 AM CDT
The Monk's equivalent to the Rogue discussion, eh?

If it's that disruptive, it needs to be looked at. I'll be curious to see where the line is drawn.

Actually looks like it would be fun to fire off when little fur balls are running around in the Southron Wastes of the Scatter.

/mad cackle that isn't the Elf

Doug
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/22/2013 02:08 AM CDT
>I think that's pretty close to "abuse", don't you? I know I wouldn't be a happy camper. If nothing else, it's just plain inconsiderate.

Whats the point of a spell that increases spawn rate if you aren't allowed to use it? Unlike some sorcerer, ranger and bard AoE spells, its not even a risk of directly assaulting the target, merely spawning more creatures. That it is taking place in an overhunted hunting ground with too many spawns as-is is a problem with the hunting ground and probably an oversight in the spell design.

>"Walkar says, "Yes, too many kings never work. Especially when there's only one throne. It's a wicked game."
>Shameless plug.
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/22/2013 08:48 AM CDT
<<<Whats the point of a spell that increases spawn rate if you aren't allowed to use it? Unlike some sorcerer, ranger and bard AoE spells, its not even a risk of directly assaulting the target, merely spawning more creatures. That it is taking place in an overhunted hunting ground with too many spawns as-is is a problem with the hunting ground and probably an oversight in the spell design.>>>>

Folks with massive AoE spells usually learn not to use them in high-traffic areas. Remember when wizards had a bunch of really terrific cloud spells? Stun cloud, death cloud, fire storm? Yeah, they don't have any of those any more. Even critter clouds have been greatly nerfed. They used to persist until they were dispelled, or ran their course. Now, if the creature leaves or dies, the cloud poofs.

There's a reason for all that. Now we have a new type of spell that affects an area, maybe even more profoundly than more traditional AoE spells. I think I'd rather walk into an open maelstrom than a room with a dozen OTF critters, especially if there's nowhere to go that isn't swarming with monsters.

I don't know if there's a problem with the hunting ground or not, I don't hunt OTF. But a group of robots walking around making matters worse for everyone else is just plain selfish, rude and inconsiderate, i.e., abusive. I'd be livid if it happened in one of my hunting grounds.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to use the spell, but it's inconsiderate tools like this who get spells nerfed or removed. It's a shame, but if this stuff is already happening, I don't see the spell lasting long in its current form.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/22/2013 11:21 AM CDT

>Whats the point of a spell that increases spawn rate if you aren't allowed to use it?

I'm going to liken this issue to the camping of the alchemy tables. I was part of the group of people who strongly opposed those camping the tables. The activity of the campers, while not technically against the rules, was found to be obstructive to others. When it ruins the fun for a great number of people, despite there not being a specific rule against it, then the higher ups should step in. OTF is only one of three capped hunting grounds, one person should not be allowed to ruin it for the rest of the population.
Re: OTF - Provoke 03/22/2013 06:47 PM CDT
Are any GM's gonna chime in here or what?
Re: OTF - Provoke 04/25/2013 11:08 AM CDT
Under the discussion with simu folder, it has been stated there is a bug. It was causing provoke to swarm more than intended and it has been fixed.

Velvette