1202 monk bonus suggestion 01/06/2013 12:02 PM CST

I'd like to suggest adding in a level 0 bonus of 1 AsG for monks to 1202 Iron Skin. Currently the progression for monk's pseudo armor is quite low for a square. Here are the armor's a monk can get into if they 1x Mental Lore, Transformation (which few rarely do at lower levels due to tp cost):

lvl 0 - AsG 6 full leather
lvl 5 - AsG 8 double leather
lvl 15 - AsG 10 curbouilli(scale)
lvl 30 - AsG 12 brigandine (scale)
lvl 50 - AsG 14 double chain
lvl 75 - AsG 16 chain hauberk
lvl 75+ with 105 lores - AsG 17 mbp (plate)
lvl 75+ with 140 lores - AsG 18 augmented plate

So the earliest level for scale is level 15, chain level 50 and plate is theoretically 75 with lore enhancives (most will be later since you need +30 in lore enhancives).

With a level 0 monk bonus of 1 AsG here's what the progression looks like:

lvl 0 - AsG 7 reinforced leather
lvl 5 - AsG 9 leather breasplate (scale)
lvl 15 - AsG 11 studded leather (scale)
lvl 30 - AsG 13 chain mail
lvl 50 - AsG 15 augmented chain
lvl 75 - ASG 17 mbp (plate)
lvl 75+ with 105 lores - AsG 18 augmented plate
lvl 75+ with 140 lores - ASG 19 half plate

With this change the earliest level for scale is level 5 (was 15), chain is level 30 (was 50) and plate is still level 75 (however it does not require finding +30 in lore enhancives).

These still require a player to 1x Mental Lore, Transformation at a cost of 12 mtp's per which is a significant investment, there are probably many who would rather spend the points elsewhere. However it at least gives the monk a bit more parity with rogues and monks when it comes to armor progression (although they can still far outstrip monks when it comes to getting into chain and plate) and it gives them plate at level 75 without needing a crazy amount of lore enhancives that most won't be able to access.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/19/2013 01:03 PM CST
You can also be in scale at 15 with only 5 ranks of transformation lore (leather breastplate), which is what my monk is currently at.

A level 2 spell at level 15, with only 5 ranks of lore gets you to scale: sounds fair to me.

At level 30, I do hope to be at 1x transformation, which will put him in brigadine like anyone else single training armor. As monks are squares, and not supposed to 1x spells (or even .75 or .66), I hope/expect to have more TPs after I get the good ones in the teens, and catch up to transformation lore by 30.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/19/2013 07:07 PM CST

Yes, you can be in scale at level 15 as a monk with only 5 ranks of ML: Transformation. My post was about the effects of being 1x in ML:T.

I'm not certain as to your point? If its that you are happy with 1202 as implemented at your current level of 15, well I can understand your point of view. My monk was also happy with it at that level. Then I kept leveling and became not as happy with its current form. :)

If you're not putting every last point into spells to get to 1220 at 20 then you are doing it wrong. Again I do have sympathy with you since my original plan was to .5x spells and 1x in ML:T, too. That plan hit the reality of level 20+ hunting. You'll desperately want the increased ds from 1216/1220 and even the minimal td increase from spell training with 1208. That's not even mentioning the benefits of 1209/1214.

Now you compare us to a 1x armor training square, I'm assuming a caster rogue? I'd like to point out that the rogue would also be taking more spell levels than a square is supposed to do. Also the rogue has the option to 2x if he/she chooses.

The rogue is only spending 5ptp's a rank for his armor training, monks are spending 12mtp's a rank for ML:T. 150 ptp's versus 360ptp's for 30 ranks. It doesn't seem like such an even comparison when you look at the training costs.

Now remember, I'm only suggesting a 1 rank innate bump for monks. So if implemented this would put us in brig at level 30 with only 15 ranks of ML:T which is 180mtp's. Huh, that's actually alot closer of a comparison now.

The main thrust of my suggestion was to allow us to get into mbp at level 75 while still requiring monks to be 1x in ML:T. Right now it requires us to be that plus have an unearthly and I would dare say unattainable amount of ML:T enhancives (I just haven't seen any around) until post 90's at least. Its also a happy coincidence that it brings the costs for getting into scale and chain more into line with the other squares in terms of cost and level attainable.

The costs for mbp are 400ptp for a rogue at level 78 and 900-1212mtp for a monk at level 75-100 depending on if the monk has anywhere between +30 to +4 ranks of ML:T enhancives to get to the 105 rank bonus(and assuming the rogue is still 1x armor). This suggestion would bring the cost down to the minimum of 900mtp's which is still a crapload more than either of the other squares will spend plus they'll have the CvA advantages of the real armor.

I just can't imagine anyone being against this once they look at the numbers. Heck its not even that much of a mechanical bump due to the static CvA. :)
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/19/2013 07:08 PM CST

You know, looking at this maybe what monks also need is a lowering of Mental Lore costs down to hmmm, 8-10mtp?
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/19/2013 07:45 PM CST
<If you're not putting every last point into spells to get to 1220 at 20 then you are doing it wrong. Again I do have sympathy with you since my original plan was to .5x spells and 1x in ML:T, too. That plan hit the reality of level 20+ hunting. You'll desperately want the increased ds from 1216/1220 and even the minimal td increase from spell training with 1208. That's not even mentioning the benefits of 1209/1214.>

Either you're not training 1x in TWC, your gear isn't enchanted, or you're trying to uphunt things you shouldn't if you're having DS problems in yer 20s. My level 22 monk (who's only .5x in spells) only has DS problems when something 7 levels above him wanders in and swings at his head (stupid adventurers guild likes sending him to cave bears too much). Even then the critters usually only get the better of me if 1207 fails to knock them down on the first cast or I don't have time to cast it.

Spells are a different story, but there isn't anything on the minor mental list that will really help me with those anyway.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 10:03 AM CST

I guess it depends on what you're hunting and how many outside spells you get to do it. My monk does guild bounties in the landing which started sending him to warfs (ewaves) and outside the spider temple (webs) in his early 20's. I can't imagine doing those bounties without having 1220. Then they started sending him inside the temple. Good luck at .5x spells there :)
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 11:54 AM CST
Icemule worked for me at that level. Level 24-26 were the critical point. I died an awful lot between 22 and 24 but by level 26 I had my tactics pretty much sorted and there's not been anything thats given me much trouble since. Once I got 1220 I hardly got wounded any more let alone killed unless I did something tactically silly.

At level 20, wanting more Ironskin made sense to me, but once into the 30s I didn't really need to use it at all, let alone worry about what exact AsG it gives, and at level 50 I'm certainly not training lore to boost it, though at early levels I thought I would be by now.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 12:14 PM CST
<My monk does guild bounties in the landing which started sending him to warfs (ewaves) and outside the spider temple (webs) in his early 20's. I can't imagine doing those bounties without having 1220>

I'm doing warfs right now, at three levels beneath them with only .5x in spell research and no outside spells... and the one's I'm sent after swing claids. Sure, they kill me every three or four hunts, but so far it hasn't been because of their e-wave, it's been because of elemental blast (gods that spell gives some long stuns). If warfs still acted like they did before they were added to BCS (when they rezzed with e-wave already prepped), their e-waves would be much more of an issue, but not so much now unless there are other critters in the room too.

If you don't give the critter a chance to get the spell off, you don't have to worry about defending against the spell.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 04:25 PM CST

Well yes, if you 100% of the time disable/kill a critter before it attacks/casts/maneuvers on you then I guess you don't ever have to wear armor or spells. :)

Now, what about those of us with a less than 100% record at doing this? Personally I recommend wearing armor and spells, particularly in this case a spell that creates armor with a simple 1 rank innate base increase for the monk class so that we'll at least be somewhat in line with the other squares. We'll still be the worst of the three, but that's okay.

Or who knows, maybe I'm the only monk in the world that gets hit since I seem to be the lone voice here lol. My monk's ds is high enough that it only happens when he's disabled via spell or maneuver, but that seems to be happening more often as he approaches 30. At least his redux finally kicked in!

1x spells up to 1220 is a separate issue, but I'm a convert to it. There's no way I'd struggle up to it with .5x spells (and you do get a small TD bump from 1208 with spell training). In fact once I flesh out a couple of skills I'm trying to decide on whether heading up the 100's or getting 30 ML:T for torso chain at 50 (he's got 6 ranks now, 1 extra for the 1 UAF boost from 1209 heh). I'm leaning toward spells though the chain df's would be nice.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 04:29 PM CST
>Well yes, if you 100% of the time disable/kill a critter before it attacks/casts/maneuvers on you then I guess you don't ever have to wear armor or spells. :)

Heh, thats how I attempt to hunt these days. I'm not always 100% successful, but I often am. I once came back from an entire hunt and realized I had had my sand elemental in my hand instead of a runestaff. Fortunately, that was one of the good hunts.

>Barnom says, "Like sage and nutmeg."
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 05:42 PM CST

>Or who knows, maybe I'm the only monk in the world that gets hit since I seem to be the lone voice here lol. My monk's ds is high enough that it only happens when he's disabled via spell or maneuver, but that seems to be happening more often as he approaches 30.

You are throwing 1207 on everything before it has a chance to get an action? Unless a critter has immunity to 1207 you don't ever need to let it do anything and there aren't that many critters with 1207 immunity.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 07:13 PM CST

Yep, but I don't really have the mana to use it just for crowd control with more than 1 critter in a room. Also I'm finding that several critters don't appear to be stancing down when standing up, so I'm having to also feint them. Usually this isn't a problem but if I'm dealing with more than 2 in a room or with unstunnable npc's it can lead to incapacitation and taking a few hits. Perhaps its just the spider temple (though warfs didn't seem to always be stancing down either which is odd) that's a tougher place to hunt. Bandits are the only other time where I take many hits and/or maneuvers.

That being said I hunt quite successfully, I'm in no way saying I'm unable to do so. I'm simply expressing incredulity when I'm told that armor and spells are not important for doing so. I hardly ever die, but I certainly take hits which would have killed me if not for 1202 and 1216/1220. :)
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 07:22 PM CST
I can't say exactly, since the majority of my hunting has been from a CS based pure, but in my experience, enemies will arrive in defensive, stance off to attack, but then as they are wounded, they proceed to tank back up again . . . but their offense does not follow suit. It seemed to me like they have an emergency only method of being full offensive AS and full defensive DS and EBP, but only when significantly wounded.

Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 07:43 PM CST
<Perhaps its just the spider temple (though warfs didn't seem to always be stancing down either which is odd) that's a tougher place to hunt.>

That's a likely bet, the few characters that I've brought there when they were like level all had troubles and found it far more frustrating then the loot they walked out with merited.

<I'm simply expressing incredulity when I'm told that armor and spells are not important for doing so.>

They're important, just not so important that you have to sacrifice other things to get 1x in spells unless you want to go that route. 1202 takes your level into consideration, not spell ranks, so at level 22 and .5x in Transformation lore, I'm sitting in leather breastplate. That's actually better then what any of my characters other then my warrior were in at the same level (my rogue could have been in better when he was that level, but he jumped from doubles straight to brig to save silvers).

Starchitin

Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/20/2013 09:41 PM CST
>I'm simply expressing incredulity when I'm told that armor and spells are not important for doing so

I don't think anyone is saying that spells aren't important, but points in harness so you can spam 1207 are far more important than points in lore for extra Ironskin AsG.

I don't recommend trying to control a room of fresh critters with 1207, because the time to cast it on one eats up the time you need to set the other up and you can end up needing to use it half a dozen times on 2 critters before you get position. However, if more come to the party once the previous ones are set up, they get krynched. Punch leg is a pretty effective knockdown once you have good position and critters don't get up if you mangled their leg and will often waste actions trying and failing if you merely broke it.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/21/2013 07:24 PM CST

Welp I guess I can look at it as a glass half full situation. Of the 4 respondents to this post, 1 thinks 1202 is perfectly balanced as is, 3 others don't think the spell is very useful (I'm throwing the sand elemental caressing sorc into this category hehe). Therefore it looks like I have 75% support so far for buffing 1202. :)
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/21/2013 08:37 PM CST
I'll actually be a little more specific with my perspective on your suggestion.

It sounds to me that the spell could use a slight tweak. However, I think your suggested tweak is too significant. A lot of your cited reasons were that other squares were getting into heavy armor at X level, and Monks couldn't keep up. Thats completely fine. That said, it was designed so that MBP was only possible with Enhancives for a reason. What I would support would be a downtweak to the requisite lore for the various bonuses UP TO MBP, which I would leave as it is. If the issue is that Monks aren't keeping up with their Armor use compared to their peers, thats fine, but plate was clearly placed "just out of reach" for a reason. This is part of the justification for them being able to use full chain with no penalties or hindrance, and have such crazy Dodge costs.

That there are other issues with the profession that need to be addressed, I totally agree. Making MBP possible without enhancives isn't going to fix those problems. Letting them get into certain ASGs a little earlier though? That won't hurt much, and it seems reasonable.

Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/21/2013 10:15 PM CST

Sure, speeding up UAC for monks would be my first suggestion as well.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/22/2013 09:50 AM CST

On a further note to your perspective on 1202, monks already have a built in balance to the bonuses of no hinderance or maneuver penalty which is the lack of CvA. Heck its the reason most squares go for plate anyway.

Right now monks don't have the ability to even "1x" in armor via 1202. The other squares have options, rogues can 1x armor and hide/ambush, warriors can 3x armor/redux better. Monks that use the UAC have to stand in the open at a less than 1x armor path. My suggestion would only bring 1202 in line to a 1x armor training like other squares and balance its bonuses with the reduced CvA and increased tp costs (12mtp vs 5ptp or 2ptp).

And heck it isn't even much of a boost as has been pointed out. It just seems modest to me.

Although as I said earlier maybe an alternative would be to lower Mental Lore training costs instead. 8-10 mtp?
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/22/2013 03:47 PM CST
3x dodge plus 100 in self spelled DS beats 3x armor. If you don't get hit, you don't need armor. Somewhere in the region of level 30-40 Ironskin becomes fluff. That extra AsG from lore does something at level 15. At level 50 I am more likely to untrain the few ranks of lore I have than to add more.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/22/2013 06:59 PM CST

So do you just not hunt any spell casters? I get hit when they can stun/web/incapacitate me, but otherwise yeah my DS is great. I still need armor for the times when I'm popped by spells or maneuvers from bandits.
Re: 1202 monk bonus suggestion 02/23/2013 04:39 PM CST

I won't go after many casters who have levels on me. At level 50 in RR, I'll take troll necromancers unless I am feeling unlucky, or my connection is behaving laggy, but I'll turn in mage apprentice bounties (unless by some fluke there happens to be a suitable partner to do them with that day). Both are level 54 but the mages are the lowest level critters in the Citadel and the trolls are the highest in the Keep.

I treat any caster with any levels at all on me with caution, but tree spirits were the last caster that I couldn't find a decent tactic for until I had significant levels on it. A critter with levels on me can pull off a damaging spell or manoever from time to time, and occasionally I'll get one-shotted by it, but a single critter won't finish me off if it merely disables, and I don't start fights with two fresh critters unless they are feeble critters. However, if a second critter comes in once the first has been set up, it gets krynched.

I also have a stock of imbeds and scrolls and potions, and if there isn't a wizard to swap spells with when I want to take on the necromancers, I'll use them. Although putting up elementals is done for the TD, it has the side effect of putting my DS into untouchable regions too.

Bandits now take about a statue and one other outside spell to make it that the only damage I take is from manoevers and traps. One day bandits may bleed me out with groinkick, but normally the only crits I take from bandits are the traps I step into. The amount of damage bandits can do me is very dependent on spells worn. I'm not quite up to taking them self spelled but I'm a lot closer to it than I was at level 20 when it took every spell a ranger, empath and wizard could throw on me.