AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/28/2012 10:30 PM CDT

On my monk on my other account I noticed that his AvD was stuck at 34 no matter what weapon was swung at h im (by me or by critters). He is level 14 with 15 ranks of ML: Transformation which should have given him AsG 9. None of the weapons swung at him should have had an AvD of 34, heck several of the weaopns didn't even have an AvD of 34 listed for any armor. I used a 2 hander axe, 2 hander sword and a quarter staff all fresh from Tykel's and critters swung a halberd and a broadsword at him.

The problem might lie in the fact that I'm dropping ML:Transformation ranks after spelling up, then forgetting and mixing in casts of 1202 with a lower AsG. However none of the 2 handers or the halberd even has an AvD of 34 against any type of leather so its not that its just dropping down to a lower AsG on subsequent casts with less ML: Transformation lore. Its dang odd.

I bugged it in game under magic systems.
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/28/2012 10:36 PM CDT
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Hunting%20and%20Combat/Developer's%20Corner%20--%20Hunting%20&%20Combat/view/379

It's not just Ironskin (or monks) that it has been happening with.
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/29/2012 01:04 PM CDT

Yeah I did a buncha testing and I'm gettin:

AsG 7 stuck at 35 AvD

AsG 8 stuck at 34 AvD

AsG 9 stuck at 38 AvD

This is for all weapon types and attacks. So I'm guessing 1202 is working correctly and there is a larger armor/avd problem with the combat system.
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/29/2012 08:37 PM CDT
Iron Skin (1202) does not affect AvD. Assuming you're wearing robes, regardless of the benefit that Iron Skin provides, your AvD will be treated as AsG 2. The spell already provides a tremendous benefit for mentalists and we didn't want to add on extra DS/TD from AvD/CvA modifiers.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/29/2012 09:13 PM CDT
Something is still wrong. I don't know if you looked at the thread in the Developer topic in Hunting/combat, but AvDs while wearing actual armor have been off, not just monks using 1202. And setting aside the Ironskin thing, it's still not right. Getting hit with a closed fist shouldn't be doing falchion level damage against double leather, much less slash damage. The same goes for getting hit with a minor shock bolt that does slash damage.

A week ago, weapons and such were giving the same AvDs against 1202 as they were against actual armor (17 fist avd vs double leather for example), and now it's resulting in a 34. I don't think that's right even for going totally without armor at all.

There may have been a bug fixed or something, but some things are broken.
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/29/2012 10:46 PM CDT

Jebus that's a huge blow to monks. The CvA was bad enough, yikes.

However there is a larger problem in that all armor AvD's seem to be stuck at a single AvD. My monk in just his robes with no 1202 on was stuck at a 35 AvD. It should be all over the place with different weapons from around 20 to 41 or so.

The same is happening with the armor's from 1202 and I assume regular armor. AsG 7 is stuck at AvD 35 for all weapons, AsG 8 is stuck at AvD 34 for all weapons and AsG 9 is stuck at AvD 38 for all weapons.

So once this gets fixed I guess it will be a bit better for monks using 1202, but the CvA and AvD being stuck at AsG 2 for monks with 1202 ... well ouch is all I can say.
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/29/2012 10:53 PM CDT

I posted this over in Hunting and Combat, it illustrates what I'm talking about with the frozen AvD's for armor. People are saying there that its affecting not just 1202 armor, too. I agree since it happened without 1202 in my monk's AsG2 robes only.

Here's a log with my level 14 Monk. I had his skills set up for a round of spelling up and testing. I did a skills full between each change in skill goals to ensure the relavent skills had migrated. It shows how incorrectly the AvD is behaving with 1202. I tried to swing a variety of weapons, you should be seeing the AvD different on every swing with each effective level of AsG from 1202. However even his base AsG 2 robes with no 1202 didn't have the correct AvD. I hope it helps.

I STOPped 1202 each time and recast to make sure it was accurate.

>skill full

Zabka (at level 14), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks

Physical Fitness...................| 102 24
Harness Power......................| 66 14
Elemental Mana Control.............| 50 10

Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 25 5

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 14

>
>stop 1202

With a moment's concentration, you terminate the Iron Skin spell.
You feel the tension in your skin ease and notice that your complexion returns to normal.

>prep 1202

You fold your hands and deeply intone a sonorous mantra, focusing your mind upon the Iron Skin spell...
Your spell is ready.

>cast

You gesture.
You feel your skin grow tight all across your body and your complexion takes on a leathery quality.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
[ Iron Skin: +0:34:00, 0:34:00 remaining. ]

<(At this point I’m wearing robes with 1202 up at level 14 monk with 5 ranks of ML: Transformation so it should be the equivalent of AsG 8, the AvD is stuck at 34 for all weapons)

Aluvius swings a twohanded sword at you!
AS: +130 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +26 = +19
A clean miss.
>
Aluvius swings a quarter staff at you!
AS: +130 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +50 = +43
A clean miss.
>
Aluvius swings a cudgel at you!
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +57 = -42
A clean miss.
>
Aluvius swings a halberd at you!
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +15 = -84
A clean miss.

>stop 1202

You feel the tension in your skin ease and notice that your complexion returns to normal.

<(At this point I’m in robes with no 1202, the AvD seems stuck at 35)

>
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +64 = -34
A clean miss.
>
Skill goals updated!

Zabka (at level 14), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24 24
Harness Power......................| 66 14 14
Elemental Mana Control.............| 50 10 10
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 25 5 0 0 minutes

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 14 14

>
AS: +130 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +96 = +90
A clean miss.
>
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +76 = -22
A clean miss.
>
AS: +130 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +99 = +93
A clean miss.

>skill full

Zabka (at level 14), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks

Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 0 0

Spell Lists

>prep 1202

You fold your hands and deeply intone a sonorous mantra, focusing your mind upon the Iron Skin spell...
Your spell is ready.

>cast

You gesture.

You feel your skin grow tight all across your body and your complexion takes on a leathery quality.
>

<(At this point I’m wearing robes with 1202 at level 14 monk with 0 ML Transformation with an equivalent AsG of 7, the AvD is stuck at 35. I had already stopped 1202 previously for the no 1202 test above so it’s a fresh cast).

AS: +130 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +9 = +3
A clean miss.
>
AS: +130 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +42 = +36
A clean miss.
>
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +89 = -9
A clean miss.
>
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +37 = -61
A clean miss.
>
Skill goals updated!

Zabka (at level 14), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24 24
Harness Power......................| 66 14 14
Elemental Mana Control.............| 50 10 10
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 70 15 15

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 14 14

>skill full

| Bonus Ranks
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 70 15

Spell Lists

>stop 1202

>prep 1202

Your spell is ready.

>cast

You gesture.
You feel your skin grow tight all across your body and your complexion takes on a scaly quality.

<(At this point I’m wearing robes and 1202 as a level 14 monk with 15 ranks of ML Transformation which should be equivalent to AsG 9. The AvD is stuck at 38.)

>
Aluvius swings a broadsword at you!
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +14 = -81
A clean miss.
>
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +67 = -28
A clean miss.
>
AS: +130 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +35 = +32
A clean miss.
>
A rolton tries to bite you!
AS: +36 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +26 = -71
A clean miss.
>
AS: +130 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +97 = +94
A clean miss.
>
AS: +38 vs DS: +171 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +29 = -66
A clean miss.
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/29/2012 10:55 PM CDT
The issue with damage factors and AvD should be fixed. It was unrelated to Iron Skin.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/29/2012 11:39 PM CDT
ESTILD HATH SPOKETH!
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/29/2012 11:44 PM CDT
He is awesome like that.

-Marstreforn-

A kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"

A kobold swings a short sword at itself!
Blow glances off the kobold's shoulder.
The kobold blushes furiously!
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 12:45 AM CDT

Okay, thank you!
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 01:25 AM CDT
That really sucks that 1202 doesn't give AvD anymore. Monks already have DS issues as it is, especially since their expected spell training hurts their redux.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 09:19 AM CDT
Droit
That really sucks that 1202 doesn't give AvD anymore. Monks already have DS issues as it is, especially since their expected spell training hurts their redux.

Iron Skin has never granted AvD or CvA.

We're definitely interested in feedback for Monks in terms of DS, TD, and dealing with swarms. For DS, most of the numbers we've looked at, they're able to hold their own.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 09:50 AM CDT

You know its not quite as bad as I thought at first. Looking at the torso armors of the various groups, AsG 2 actually has a lower AvD against alot of the larger high DF/high RT weapons. Its generally worse against the lower DF/low RT weapons.

Its true of MBP which is what most monks are going to have at cap. Robe AvD gives a significant defensive boost vs most polearms and 2 handers, less so against blunt weapons, edged and brawling weapons its significantly worse .. when compared to MBP AvD. Of course compared to full plate, its not so much of a good thing for a square.

I think the biggest killer at higher levels will be the robes CvA. I'm starting to think that not going with a dwarf monk was a bad idea. I'm also starting to think that most monks will be forced into using one stance at those levels, Slippery Mind over all the others. Robes have a -33 CvA disadvantage over MBP and a -36 over full plate. That's going to be tough to overcome.
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 10:23 AM CDT
It's a perception problem.
+ The perception--from the spell description--of the players is, "Cast this spell, you get this armor." That's how Sonic Armor/1014 works, after all.
+ The actuality of the spell is, "You are wearing robes. You dodge and move and defend, as though you were in robes. If you get HIT, though, your skin is so tough that you take less damage (as you you were in leather, or chain, or plate [at cap])."

I think that higher-level characters can vouch for the fact that the CvA benefits (in particular) at higher levels are one of the most vital [in the literal sense of the word, having to do with "life"] reasons behind wearing heavier armors. They be needing some of that pseudo-TD lovin', basically.

My recollection of the Minor Mental list is that while there is a progressive TD spell, a la 430/Elemental Barrier, Mind Ward/1208 tops out at 40. Which is just ducky, except that it's ten points less than Barrier and anyone with Barrier could very well be in [Enchanted] soft leather at the very least, leading to another effective ten points of pseudo-TD from the CvA progression. This says nothing of Bards in chain armor wearing the spell as a native caster, getting an additional twenty point CvA offset.

Short version: Monks are going to be needing them some high-level TD lovin'.

I would suggest allowing Mind Ward to grow to a cap of sixty bonus (+60), rather than its existing cap of forty (+40), to allow for just such an offset. to be possible.
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 01:48 PM CDT
>Iron Skin has never granted AvD or CvA.

Maybe something changed between beta and prime, but..

A black forest ogre swings a rust-covered dhara at you!
AS: +333 vs DS: +253 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +55 = +177
... and hits for 13 points of damage!
Torn muscle in your right leg!

A Grimswarm giant barbarian swings a twohanded sword at you!
AS: +290 vs DS: +271 with AvD: +48 + d100 roll: +52 = +119
... and hits for 1 point of damage!
Near-miss!
That'll hurt tomorrow.

My 50th level monk with 30 transform lore was in torso chain. Mace vs robes = 31, mace vs chain = 42, twohanded sword vs robes = 41, twohanded sword vs chain = 48. That being said, Aluvius makes a good point about robe AvDs not being as bad as we all thought. These clips are prime examples.

As for CvA, 1208 does go a long way to make up for this lack. 30 mTD (at 20 mM spells) doesn't quite cover the CvA gap (particularly because mTD doesn't count fully for elemental and spiritual spells), but monks also have easy access to the minor spirit circle, which provides +20 self-cast sTD from 120. I won't count 101 and 107 because everyone has extremely easy access to those spells, so they're factored into critter CS. Overall, they seem to be on similar footing to warriors eventually. It's going to take monks a while to get enough spell training to overcome this deficit. 20 minor mental + 20 minor spirit = 40 spells, at 0.5x training = level 80. Warriors get full plate at what, level 40-something? Capped monks will be pretty well off, I imagine, but it's tough going for the younger ones.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 03:57 PM CDT
Droit
Maybe something changed between beta and prime, but..

Actually, you're right. It is intended to (and does) affect AvD, but not CvA.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 04:05 PM CDT
Thanks for double checking that. Of course, now that I've done a more detailed comparison of AvDs, I wish that 1202 did not adjust them based on AsG. Robe AvD is pretty sweet compared to heavier armors. I demand you change 1202 to robe AvDs across the board!

Heh..

Droit

Re: AvD stuck at 34 for all weapons using 1202 07/30/2012 08:55 PM CDT

Yeah, Estild just nerfed us by giving us the actual AvD's!!1!!! Tax revolt! Tax revolt! <puts on tri cornered hat and looks insane>