Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 01:27 PM CDT
So, I've been a heavy water-lore user for a long time, and when I first saw that 418 was getting a water lore kicker, I thought it would be cool. However, in practice, I rarely see the benefit, since honestly, I rarely use 418 in the first place. It's not practical during a hunt etc. and a lot of the places i WOULD use it, are already nodes so I can't use 418. Maybe in something like Reim TD, it makes sense, since you're not moving, but generally hunting in HS doesn't involve a lot of standing.

I was wondering what people thought of the ability to Evoke 418 solely for the lore effect, at a lower mana cost, to make that portion of the spell practical, without the base 418, to work in noded areas and also to be a more practical hunting spell.
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 01:38 PM CDT
ARCHSENEX
I was wondering what people thought of the ability to Evoke 418 solely for the lore effect, at a lower mana cost, to make that portion of the spell practical, without the base 418, to work in noded areas and also to be a more practical hunting spell.

You don't have to stay in the room where you cast 418 to retain the lore benefit. You can simply cast it, then move on and still retain the benefit. As long as you have more than 21 ranks of EL:W, it's a net gain even after factoring in the 18 mana to cast 418.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 01:44 PM CDT
>> You can simply cast it, then move on and still retain the benefit.

Quick clarification question - is this statement true even when the focus (node) drops because you're no longer in that specific locale?

I'll be honest, I use 418 sometimes, usually when I feel like standing (swarming conditions) or when I feel the area is small enough that I can get at least 1/2 of the pulses in the room without significant tracking / player maintenance. And I really enjoy this kicker bonus!

But I've never considered just casting it and roaming around getting an increase of xx mana for 10 minutes duration. Would be cool, if!

Doug
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 02:13 PM CDT
>> You don't have to stay in the room where you cast 418 to retain the lore benefit. You can simply cast it, then move on and still retain the benefit. As long as you have more than 21 ranks of EL:W, it's a net gain even after factoring in the 18 mana to cast 418.

Does the lore bonus kick in if you cast it in rooms that can't have 418?
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 02:16 PM CDT
Is this +10 to Mana Recovery considered an Enhancive (and thus subject to the +50 limitation) or more as an "adjustment to it" like Song of Power/1018 appears to work?

And while we're talking about Mana Recovery stats, is there any possibility of having the relevant portions of lines of the 'mana' (and 'stamina', while we're at it) verb tagged with the Enhancive (which is to say, "MonsterBold") color scheme?
I would prefer to have the same sort of thing as on the 'skill' display, where it shows both the normal and the Enhanced value, in order to determine exactly how much of what is being done, but I'm willing to settle for baby steps. :)
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 03:02 PM CDT
I constantly 418 outside of nodes and then rest on a node to spell up myself and others. The water lore bonus mana is huge when sitting on a natural node and riding 10+ minutes of extra mana regen. So, no you can't cast it on a natural node, but you can move a room or two over and cast then sit on the node and enjoy.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 05:56 PM CDT
> @Estild: You can simply cast it, then move on and still retain the benefit

Another clarification, will it still interact in a deadly manner with Song Of Power after said wizard moves along?

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 10:15 PM CDT
<after said wizard moves along>

Gods, wizards, get your acts together and stop creating problems for bards... you never hear them complaining about us sorcerers leaving this spell behind.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 10:20 PM CDT

>> Gods, wizards, get your acts together and stop creating problems for bards... you never hear them complaining about us sorcerers leaving this spell behind.

That's because it's very difficult to nag when you're stuck on the floor with a hand in your mouth.

(Yes, I know the decay was made immediate, but I still want to complain. I'm in the right place for that, no?)
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 10:34 PM CDT
<That's because it's very difficult to nag when you're stuck on the floor with a hand in your mouth.>

We could always start summoning legs from the ground to knock you over with a kick in the rump before sticking a foot in your mouth.... which, now that I think about it, would be WAY more awesome. Someone make it so!

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/24/2017 10:35 PM CDT

>> We could always start summoning legs from the ground to knock you over with a kick in the rump before sticking a foot in your mouth.... which, now that I think about it, would be WAY more awesome. Someone make it so!

Wasn't there a service for a custom grasp of the grave a while back?
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/25/2017 09:06 AM CDT
Is the Lore benefit/number of times it will fire off, determined at the time of casting ("Krakii Had 21 Ranks Water Lore" == 2 pulses of +10), or is it checked at each pulse and determined at that time whether there will be another one?

I'm almost tempted to have the Bard pick up some Water lore, instead of Air...

Other question, since someone else already asked about the deadly interaction with Song of Power/1018: is the danger of the backlash checked
at the time of casting (of "the second one" of the spells),
possibly checked again at the time of renewal (when the Bard's medley cycles),
based on the Bard's presence in the room with the pseudo-Node (so a Bard taking advantage of the Water Lore benefit to just walk away would be fine), or
also triggered from the continuing Water-Lore effect that may be on the Bard who is running PowerSong?
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/28/2017 11:35 PM CDT

>("Krakii Had 21 Ranks Water Lore" == 2 pulses of +10

18 mana to cast, seems like not much overall gain until a lot more lore/seed ranks?

Or am I missing something here?

:D
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/29/2017 06:36 AM CDT
You also get the benefits of recovering mana as if on node while in the room.
I use this in Reim all the time to "node" a room for everyone's mana recovery while we sit in one place beating up ghosts.

Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/29/2017 07:21 AM CDT

I thought he meant as a moving targ..err hunter.

:D
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/29/2017 02:02 PM CDT
> I use this in Reim all the time to "node" a room for everyone's mana recovery while we sit in one place beating up ghosts.

This is why you really need a bard in your group, Mister Ordim. Song of Power FTW ... it goes everywhere with the bard and the group. All the mana. All the time!

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/29/2017 02:29 PM CDT
I like it when a bard joins and their head explodes because I forget to tell them I cast this all the time!

Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/29/2017 04:44 PM CDT
> I like it when a bard joins and their head explodes because I forget to tell them I cast this all the time!

I have a script that keeps me informed of negligent wizards that is faster than even you, Mister Ordim!

---
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/30/2017 10:06 AM CDT
I was using it as an example only, Askip. :)
(Although note that as Estild pointed out [#1927], it actually is a bonus, albeit a small one. +3 mana is +3 mana. No, I would probably not fiddle with it for that... On the other hand if I were "down from full by less than one pulse" then that means I've got free mana to burn, so I might drop one in the field. The issue I have is that essentially all of my recent hunting areas have not rewarded the "stand and wait for them" paradigm, although there were a couple of spots in the Sheruvian Monastery where that happened just from spawns & run-ins.)

Since I got turned on to Song of Power/1018 several years ago with helpful Bardic input here on the Boards, my guy has been loving it on a regular basis. Between that, some worn/held Enhancives for Max Mana/Mana Recovery, and good control of 'mana pulse'--all of which were great additions to the game!--he is able to stay in the field with mana when HE wants it (at the higher amount) rather than when the game wants to get around to coughing it up. He's usually good for one or even two renewals of it, if my attention wanders, before I have to start worrying about too much stress and possibly lethal results.
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/30/2017 10:26 AM CDT
I may also be asking the wrong question here.

I regularly rest in a Sanctuary as I pair hunt with a spirit pure. For reasons unknown, I cannot 418 the Sanctuary, and thus can't get the bonus right before dropping out (418, pulse, drop out is the idea) but I don't THINK sanctuaries count as nodes. You can do song of power in them without any negative, from what I can see.

Should I instead be seeing if Major Sanctuaries should be able to be 418'd? My thought about Evoking for the bonus alone was in this scenario.

Mostly just thinking, I realize that I may be a bit more specific than many change requests might target.
Re: Evoke 418 Just for Lore Benefit (Lowered casting cost) 05/30/2017 10:40 AM CDT
>> For reasons unknown, I cannot 418 the Sanctuary

While I can think of several 'game lore' reasons (read here as justifications for why an elemental spell won't work in an artificially created spirit controlled environment), I'd still bug it.

The 'room' itself is transitory, so it's possible that Major Sanctuary (220) simply doesn't have any awareness / way to handle Mana Focus (418). Yet.

Doug