Elemental Detection (405) - Bug? 05/21/2017 10:46 AM CDT
Wanted to post this here first to see if there might be some insights before bugging in game.

Wizard and Bard results of 405

You gesture at a flame-cut dragonfire opal earcuff.
You sense that this is a magical item. There seems to be no spells or charges but the flows of essence are strangely attracted to it. You estimate that it can contain an average amount of mana.
You detect that a flame-cut dragonfire opal earcuff can be recharged to its original capacity.

Bard loresong results

As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the dragonfire opal earcuff in your hand, and you learn something about it...
This is a small item, under a pound. In your best estimation, it's worth about 8,750 silvers.
As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the dragonfire opal earcuff in your hand, and you learn something about it...
You sense a faint aura of magic surrounding the earcuff. From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the earcuff is to cast a spell or perform some magical purpose.
As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the dragonfire opal earcuff in your hand...
From the rapid vibrations of the dragonfire opal earcuff, you determine it has no spell within it now, but could be imbedded with one, in the proper hands. You estimate that it can contain an average amount of mana.
As you sing, you feel a faint resonating vibration from the dragonfire opal earcuff in your hand...
The magical strength of this item is strong. It could probably handle the imbedding of an entirely new spell, if handled with care.
You sense that the dragonfire opal earcuff will disintegrate after its last magical charge has been expended.

I see this 'recharge' statement a lot when using 405. It seems to happen with 'reimbedding', but I think I've seen it a time or two without that, as well. I'll track that going forward. The problem is the device isn't 'rechargeable', but 405 states it is.

Doug
Re: Elemental Detection (405) - Bug? 05/21/2017 10:48 AM CDT
It's not a bug, and 405 never refers to a mage rechargeable capability. It refers to the nerfed merchant recharging capacity that degrades after each recharging.

That is also not the bard loresong for a mage rechargeable item.
Re: Elemental Detection (405) - Bug? 05/21/2017 10:59 AM CDT
405 only refers to a merchant recharging system. (I haven't seen any merchants for it yet, maybe RSN?)

Loresongs only refer to a player recharging system.

AFAIK the two systems are independent, but until the merchants appear its impossible to be sure.
Revisiting Enhancement - was Re: Elemental Detection (405) - Bug? 05/21/2017 02:03 PM CDT
Yep, I went back through 7 years of history (always a fun journey), and found indications of the message change to 405 around 10/2016.

And a whole lot of other discussion around 405, even as far back as 6 years earlier.

I appreciate the reminder. Perhaps it is time to revisit some of the previous suggestions, though - like Methais suggests, it shouldn't be a stretch for a wizard (with 517, and with a bajillion ranks of water lore! :P) to be able to discern that a magic item could be rechargeable.

Most of the dialog of 2010 / 2011 centered on the value or bards in the discovery of item lore. I think it was well placed - and I would like to see:

1) Characters with 517 (wizards, SK) and some measure of EL:W (20? 30?) able to detect that an item can be recharged - this ability does not improve whether the character can detect what the spell actually is.

2) Characters with 714 (sorcerers, SK) are able to detect the locked / unlocked state and charge state of a scroll - this ability does not improve the character's chance to imbue a scroll.

3) When cast from a scroll, adds a small (+10?) bonus to character's chance to find forageable consumables that are aligned with elemental uses (sorcerer, wizard alchemy). Note - any character can forage for any item, so this simply slightly improves the chances for those items used in elemental based recipes. (Thinking of you, Daid and Sarah.)

4) Every time it is cast, grant the character Methais an RPA.

5) When cast by an arms profession character (warriors, rogues) - allows determination of type, amount, charges and restrictions for enhancives in the weapons, armor, and combat categories.

6) When cast by a spell profession character (sorcerer, wizard) - allows determination of spell, activator type and charges for arcane, wizard, major elemental, sorcerer and minor elemental spells, and type, amount, charges and restrictions for enhancives in the magic category.

7) When cast by a semi-arms profession character (bard) - provides a basic loresong summary and an indicator if there is something specific, special, unique or challenging to find out about the item. Well experienced bards should be able to sort quickly through how 'special' an item might be.

If you're a spiritual semi-arms or spell profession, or a mental semi-arms profession - seek a bard. And if you want to know everything there is to know about an item, seek a bard. And give the bard back a bit of their time by allowing a faster process when there's nothing abnormal about the item.

Doug
Re: Revisiting Enhancement - was Re: Elemental Detection (405) - Bug? 05/22/2017 06:20 PM CDT
I still think the "recharged to original capacity" message should be moved off to the ASSESS verb. Maybe it only appears for characters with sufficient magical training. The other information 405 provides is related to things players can provide each other.