411 E-blading arrows not working right? 03/18/2017 10:37 PM CDT
Wasn't sure if I should BUG this or post here.

A friend of mine made rowan (+5) arrows for me to e-blade for her. She is a master fletcher (another +5). I am not able to e-blade the arrows.

I have 50 ranks of fire lore, so should be good up to a +7 enchantment.

I think what is happening is that the spell is looking at the total bonus of +10 and saying "oops, you don't have enough lore skill for this." I have confirmed I can e-blade a vanilla +5 mithril weapon with no problems.

E-blading normal +0 wooded arrows that are master-fletched (+5 before e-blade) can be done WITHOUT any lore training at all. So shouldn't the spell only consider the bonus from the enchantment, not from the master-fletch, when e-blading magical wooden arrows? Ie, master-fletched rowan arrows are +10, but only 5 of that should be considered by the spell, requiring 25 ranks of lore? The other +5 isn't considered when the arrows are not made of a magical material.

This is how I assume the spell was intended to work, do I have it wrong?
Re: 411 E-blading arrows not working right? 03/19/2017 12:09 PM CDT
I know that before the Elemental Lore review the +5 from master fletched arrows didn't prevent them from being e-bladed. I don't know how that was incorporated where magical woods are concerned, though.

It makes sense that you should be able to e-blade the arrows if you have the lore to cast it on rowan weapons, though it seems I saw a post when the review was done discussing something wonky about fletched arrows and how they work with e-blade and it's new lores (sadly, the post doesn't seem to have been saved on the wiki).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 411 E-blading arrows not working right? 03/19/2017 01:13 PM CDT
Kaldonis discussed last night on Lnet that it's something the item's code, not the spell's code, that flags the item as either "magical" or "non-magical." With a "non-magical" item the spell can be convinced to ignore the +5 fletching bonus. With a "magical" item, the item has no properties to differentiate "magical" bonus from an innate bonus like fletching, and therefore just considers the entire bonus to be magical, affecting 411's requirements.

This makes sense to me although it seems a shame that it works that way.

I'd love to still hear from GM Estild if there's a more technical or more precise explanation.
Re: 411 E-blading arrows not working right? 03/19/2017 01:31 PM CDT
Can you get to 11x with a 10x box and masterfletched non-magic arrows?
Re: 411 E-blading arrows not working right? 03/19/2017 01:51 PM CDT
<Can you get to 11x with a 10x box and masterfletched non-magic arrows?>

Unless there's a bug, it doesn't matter if the enchanted items are magical or not, you'll only get the benefit of +50 if the sum of the enchants of the bow and arrow exceeds 10x

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 411 E-blading arrows not working right? 03/19/2017 02:02 PM CDT
>Unless there's a bug, it doesn't matter if the enchanted items are magical or not, you'll only get the benefit of +50 if the sum of the enchants of the bow and arrow exceeds 10x

When the arrow isn't magical, the fletching bonus doesn't count as an enchant (at least when the arrow is considered in isolation). Its not clear to me whether having a magical bow turns the arrow magical too (and hence +55 gets capped to +50) or if the arrow is still considered non magical and gives +5 on top of the bow enchant (but fails to hit critters that require magic)
Re: 411 E-blading arrows not working right? 03/19/2017 04:11 PM CDT
>Kaldonis discussed last night on Lnet that it's something the item's code, not the spell's code, that flags the item as either "magical" or "non-magical." With a "non-magical" item the spell can be convinced to ignore the +5 fletching bonus. With a "magical" item, the item has no properties to differentiate "magical" bonus from an innate bonus like fletching, and therefore just considers the entire bonus to be magical, affecting 411's requirements.

>This makes sense to me although it seems a shame that it works that way.

>I'd love to still hear from GM Estild if there's a more technical or more precise explanation.

I'll answer for Estild here as I coded this spell.

It works exactly the way it is describe here.

When you start out with magical wood for the arrow for fletching, and add the +5 for it being Master fletched it is (a magical wooden arrow) that equals (the wood bonus) + (the fletched bonus) which uses the same field to store that bonus.

~Contemplar~
Re: 411 E-blading arrows not working right? 03/20/2017 07:33 AM CDT
Think of it like invar weapons. If you take a plain old invar weapon, it's given a +2 AS. It's not magical.

But, once you enchant that same invar weapon, it becomes +7 (not +5 with an extra +2 that's not considered magical). So that means 25 ranks of your EL, you won't be able to e-blade it. You'll need 42 ranks to eblade it.

-Drumpel