Jaws trap set off by 407 02/08/2016 02:36 PM CST
After setting off a jaws trap with Unlock (407)...

407 (with water lore) stops corroding the lock.

416 constantly shows an obscured vision (even though I saw the jaws trap easily before).

125 bounced off the darn thing and blew my leg off.

I'm not 100% sure that jaw traps that were set off could be popped before (I thought so), but becoming anti-magic is really bizarre.

I did BUGITEM but...any thoughts?

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/08/2016 02:39 PM CST

>any thoughts?

That is normal and expected behavior :)
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/08/2016 02:59 PM CST
>That is normal and expected behavior :)

How quaint. And strange that I've literally never encountered it. One more thing for the guide I suppose.

I don't understand why a closed bear-trap would reflect a lightning bolt any more than an open one but, stranger things...

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/08/2016 03:10 PM CST
Sounds like something with water lore corroding the lock maybe.... I've magically opened quite a few boxes with jaws traps, almost always setting off the trap before the box opens. I THINK I've cast 125 at a couple that were being a pain after setting off the trap with no problem, but I'm not 100% sure on that and my sorcerer doesn't have any water lore.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/08/2016 06:57 PM CST

<< I don't understand why a closed bear-trap would reflect a lightning bolt any more than an open one but, stranger things... >>

It's worked that way as long as I can remember. If you look at a jaw trapped box after the trap has been set off, you'll see something about the jaws covering the lock, which I think is the reason. I agree that it does not really make sense. You can use 125 on a jaw trapped box with no risk if the trap has not been set off.
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/09/2016 04:12 AM CST
125 used to set off most traps. This one just never got changed when the rest were nerfed.
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/09/2016 07:29 AM CST
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

A further note: it's resisting phase as well, proving it has become anti-magic.

The majority opinion is that this is how it's always worked, but I'd go ahead and argue that this is just a really old bug lurking in the shadows.

I'm fine the way fused boxes work (where the explicitly cannot be opened with 407 afterwards), but a jaws trap causing the box to become anti-magic cannot be the intended effect, right?

Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/09/2016 11:35 AM CST
>The majority opinion is that this is how it's always worked, but I'd go ahead and argue that this is just a really old bug lurking in the shadows.

The bug was that 125 didn't set off traps when it should have done.
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/09/2016 05:48 PM CST
Setting off jaws is like setting of vials creating a fused (plated) box
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/10/2016 07:45 AM CST
>Setting off jaws is like setting of vials creating a fused (plated) box

I didn't think fused boxes became anti-magic, just they can't be opened with 407. I believe 704, 416, and 125 all work on them, unlike a triggered jaws trap.

I might be mistaken, though.

Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/13/2016 07:19 PM CST
Okay, well until an NIR decides to recognize this as the bug it clearly is in my opinion, I've updated my Popping Boxes guide.

:D

Oddly, I found a note, put there by myself, 4 months ago: "Jaws supposedly requires more testing." Done!

Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/14/2016 02:52 PM CST
This looks like it is working as intended to me, based on the code and comments. There are special considerations for when the trap was triggered by 407 vs picking, and everything seems to be matching up with the expected behavior.

Ixix
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/15/2016 01:14 PM CST
Thanks for taking the time to look into this Ixix.

>This looks like it is working as intended to me, based on the code and comments. There are special considerations for when the trap was triggered by 407 vs picking, and everything seems to be matching up with the expected behavior.

Do you mind sharing the basic reasoning in the comments that indicate closed jaws are intended to enrune the box? My primitive understanding of a jaws trap is that it's like a mechanical bear trap rather than a magical device.

Open jaws: Does not resist/reflect 125, 416, 704

Closed jaws: Resist/reflects 125, 416, 704

Is this just some surrogate punishment since it can't chop off a caster's hand? At least if that's the reasoning I can follow the intent...

Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/16/2016 09:06 AM CST
<<Is this just some surrogate punishment since it can't chop off a caster's hand? At least if that's the reasoning I can follow the intent...>>

This is the conclusion that I reached. The why is not explicitly stated, and I try to be cautious about assumptions, but I'm comfortable making it in this case.

Ixix
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/16/2016 09:21 AM CST
Great! Sorry for beating this into the ground like a broken record, but I wanted to squeeze some kind of answer out of you. :D

Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/16/2016 11:35 AM CST
I'm happy to help when and where I can :)

Ixix
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/26/2016 05:21 PM CST
I was curious about something. What is the reason that "unpure" black ora cannot be bladed?

Wolfloner's player

Steve
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/27/2016 10:51 AM CST
I'd have to see the item in question to be certain, but most likely because it's scripted.

Ixix
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/28/2016 12:46 PM CST
<<I'd have to see the item in question to be certain, but most likely because it's scripted.

Ixix>>

The Handing Inn Crystal did not yield much information.

You touch the crystal with one hand, your black ora flail in the other hand. Tiny sparks of brilliant golden light dance across your flail. An orange beam shoots up from your flail toward the ceiling.

Does unpure black ora have scripts unique to the metal itself? I am happy for you to look at it anytime at your convenience.

Wolfloner's player

Steve
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/28/2016 01:50 PM CST
If you could do me a solid and REGISTER the item, I can look more closely and we can go from there.

Ixix
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/28/2016 06:06 PM CST
<<If you could do me a solid and REGISTER the item, I can look more closely and we can go from there.

Ixix>>

The flail is registered to Wolfloner now.

Steve
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/28/2016 07:03 PM CST
Ixix>>

The flail is registered to Wolfloner now.

Steve

exquisite black ora flail
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/29/2016 09:52 AM CST
That flail should be able to be ebladed (and you should be able to eblade it) as far as I can tell. If it's still acting up, I would suggest trying a cast of 417 on it to be sure that it's completely back to normal, and then try eblading it again.

Alternatively, if you don't want to try that, I think that you'll need to place an assist. That's totally fine if you'd prefer to go that way.

Ixix
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 02/29/2016 01:06 PM CST
Thank you Ixix
Re: Jaws trap set off by 407 03/03/2016 06:42 AM CST
...and now back to our regularly scheduled program...

The deathbot will come back eventually.